2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls

Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Accountant
Default 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls

Hello,
I have 2008 FEH and I can't find the fuse for the climate controls. The temp controls don't appear on the lighted dash and the fan doesn't run. The radio works fine. This vehicle was a former lifeguard vehicle so it has a ton of extra wires and there is a permanent power source I can connect and get them to work, but I think it shorted out the regular temp (power when vehicle is on) fuse. I looked at a fuse guide and checked fuses 15, 29, 39, and a few others, but all are fine.

I've included pictures and I have a few more electrical issues like the airbag light and the tire pressure monitor too (all from the salted beach water for sure). The pictures are; electronic readout, controls at the bottom are the ones not functioning, and the mess of electric I'm dealing with. The red and black wire in the extra fuse box is the one that is permanently connected to the battery and is the only way to get the controls and the climate controls to work.

Thanks for any help,

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls-2015-05-26-15.19.02.jpg   2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls-2015-05-26-15.20.32.jpg   2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls-2015-05-26-15.19.57.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Climate Controls

You might try asking on www.the12volt.com.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,
I know this is an older thread, but I encountered a similar problem this week and thought I would post it here for help. I also have an 08 FEH. My interior climate control fan went from speed 4 to none while I was driving normally. I didn't know what happened. I didn't touch anything. Then I turned the system off by pressing the big button. Turned it back on, the fan ran at about speed 4 no matter what. I can rotate the big dial all I want and nothing changes. If I turn the system off again, the fan ran at max speed. Turn it back on, speed 4. Very weird problem. And pretty loud while driving.

The AC appears to be working normally. I can feel the cold air if I hit the AC button. The car appears to be running fine. Goes in and out of EV mode as expected. No noticeable acceleration or charging issues.

I saw in the manual that fuse 15 and fuse 37 are both labeled "Climate Control". I think if I pulled one, I would get the fan to shut off. However, I don't want to pull the wrong fuse and cause the AC system to shut off and overheat my HV battery. Do you guys know which fuse controls the fan and which fuse controls the HV battery cooling?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Hi Everyone,
I know this is an older thread, but I encountered a similar problem this week and thought I would post it here for help. I also have an 08 FEH. My interior climate control fan went from speed 4 to none while I was driving normally. I didn't know what happened. I didn't touch anything. Then I turned the system off by pressing the big button. Turned it back on, the fan ran at about speed 4 no matter what. I can rotate the big dial all I want and nothing changes. If I turn the system off again, the fan ran at max speed. Turn it back on, speed 4. Very weird problem. And pretty loud while driving.

The AC appears to be working normally. I can feel the cold air if I hit the AC button. The car appears to be running fine. Goes in and out of EV mode as expected. No noticeable acceleration or charging issues.

I saw in the manual that fuse 15 and fuse 37 are both labeled "Climate Control". I think if I pulled one, I would get the fan to shut off. However, I don't want to pull the wrong fuse and cause the AC system to shut off and overheat my HV battery. Do you guys know which fuse controls the fan and which fuse controls the HV battery cooling?

Thanks for your help!

The problem with the fan speed only working in one position we had in our 06 FEH - in our case it was the fan resistor, a cheap part, a little hard to get to, but it solved the problem. Video here

Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Thank you for the help and the video. This is exactly what I need...I think. I watched a couple other related videos, and pulled the resistor myself after work. I can find several sources online that sell this part. They all take a few days to ship. So in the mean time, can I drive around with this resistor out? I just hate how loud the fan is on max speed. Is that going to damage my car? Again I'm mostly worried about the HV battery. Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Thank you for the help and the video. This is exactly what I need...I think. I watched a couple other related videos, and pulled the resistor myself after work. I can find several sources online that sell this part. They all take a few days to ship. So in the mean time, can I drive around with this resistor out? I just hate how loud the fan is on max speed. Is that going to damage my car? Again I'm mostly worried about the HV battery. Thanks again for the help!

Don't think it damages anything, its just what allows you fan speed to change, but I recall it was a very inexpensive part available from Autozone in store, did not have to order it, paid maybe 25 bucks or so for it. I don't think it has anything to do with the HV battery

Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Ok, lesson learned. Do not buy this part from Amazon. Doesn't work.
Amazon Amazon

If you have dual-zone climate control, you have to buy the more expensive part. So far, the only part where I found a good review for 2008 Escape is this one...
Amazon Amazon

Physically, they look the same. Amazon's "fit check" shows both parts are ok for my car, but the first one doesn't control my fan speed correctly. Just an FYI for anyone else who needs this part. After I figure out the right part, I'll update again.

Last edited by deprotinator; 06-08-2018 at 12:08 AM.