2008 Red Triangle wont start or crank

Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Red Triangle wont start or crank

So i go out to start my car turn the key and nothing. Searched here and tried the moving relay switches didn't work. My front battery was really low because i had not driven the car in about two months so i replaced it. Picked up a scangauge and with x gauge found allot of codes. One being HV breaker and others. So i am thinking maybe the main computer needs a reflash so towed to the dealer. They quoted me 120 for a diagnosis. The next day he e is calls and tells me there is a short somewhere and needs another 120 to find it. I tell him about the HV battery code. He calls back later and tells me it is the main breaker in the HV battery and that the transmission is causing it to pop and that i need a 9000.00 dollar transmission. So i said how do you know that did you replace that breaker and he said he didn't know. He said we unhooked the transmission and there is not a short then.
What?
I said did you get it started and he said no its all unpluged.
Has anyone heard of this? My mileage is 100038 Maybe find a used transmission? Any input would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Last edited by Nordic Flyer; 08-31-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: looking for a transmission
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Red Triangle wont start or crank

Anyone have a idea? Thanks

Old 08-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

The mechanic might be right if there is no indication of a short when the wiring is unplugged. I know very little about troubleshooting these so I can't really provide any help here.

As for a used transmission, if you are in the U.S. you can use car-part.com to search local wrecking yards for a transmission.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

I doubt that your transmission is bad. It sounds like your fuseable link is bad. I had this simular problem. The fuseable link is spliced into your positive battery cable. This is an easy fix but hard to diagnose. I had to replace mine and it had many false codes showing up before finally discovering what the problem was. My dealer wanted to change blind door, battery fan kit, MEC module all totally over three grand. It cost me $6.00 to splice new 14 gauge fuseable link wire, this is gray link wire, two 4" pieces.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DennisW
I doubt that your transmission is bad. It sounds like your fuseable link is bad. I had this simular problem. The fuseable link is spliced into your positive battery cable. This is an easy fix but hard to diagnose. I had to replace mine and it had many false codes showing up before finally discovering what the problem was. My dealer wanted to change blind door, battery fan kit, MEC module all totally over three grand. It cost me $6.00 to splice new 14 gauge fuseable link wire, this is gray link wire, two 4" pieces.
I'm wondering if that might be my no crank no start problem. I have plenty of juice in the front and rear batteries but no contactor click from the back when I try and start it. I have P0A78 and P0A7A tcm codes (dc-ac inverter circuits) and P0AE1 bcm code (contactor circuit). Where exactly is said grey fusible link, please and thank you.