2008 Software upgrade for previou years

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 Software upgrade for previou years

I understand MY 2008 Hybrid's received a software upgrade to improve on the transition between the gasoline engine and electric motor. I'm beginning to wonder why this couldn't also be performed on previous year models since all Escape Hybrids have the same engine and transmission hardware. Maybe one of our posters who works for a dealership in the internet department can chip in on this question. It seems to me this could be a win-win situation in that the dealership opens up a new source of revenue and the customers recieves an improved product without having to buy a new vehicle.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Default Re: 2008 Software upgrade for previou years

Originally Posted by Billyk
I understand MY 2008 Hybrid's received a software upgrade to improve on the transition between the gasoline engine and electric motor. I'm beginning to wonder why this couldn't also be performed on previous year models since all Escape Hybrids have the same engine and transmission hardware. Maybe one of our posters who works for a dealership in the internet department can chip in on this question. It seems to me this could be a win-win situation in that the dealership opens up a new source of revenue and the customers recieves an improved product without having to buy a new vehicle.
I'm pretty sure they won't do it. There are no guarantees that everything in both systems is identical. The software takes inputs from a great number of sensors. All it takes is for Ford to have chosen a different sensor somewhere with different calibration coeffiecents and that sensor will not work with the new software. You'd end up with a poorly running car or one that won't start at all. Now add to that the liability if that sensor were in the antilock brakes? If you are a dealer, you won't take the risk. And Ford won't let them do it either unless it had been fully tested and verified.

Backward and Forward compatibility is just NOT something car companies bother with.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's highly unlikely, as TeeStar said. There are probably more than enough differences that the PCM can't simply be reflashed with the '08 programming and everything is fine and dandy.

It would be very cool if it could, but it's very unlikely, and in all probability completely incompatable.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:25 AM

My '07 transitions between EV and ICE pretty smoothly. Therefore, I really not all that interested in improving those transitions, which is what is new with the '08 software.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

I neglected to add that at the FEH Experience, I had asked this very question to the engineers, who said that any changes to the (Then) upcoming FEH's would not be compatable, so even then they weren't thinking of having a backward compatable system, so it's unlikely they ever included it.