2009 Escape First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2009 Escape First Drive

http://jalopnik.com/390790/2009-ford-escape-first-drive

Here's the text:

While we're not quite willing to call this a full review, we did get some seat time with a couple of spankin' new 2009 Ford Escape models yesterday. We managed to get back-to-back seat time with both the 2008 and 2009 V6 4x4 Limited as well as the Hybrid for direct comparison on the same 20-mile circuit. When Hardigree reviewed the Escape's platform pal, the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, it was fairly obvious our impression was one of disconnectedness. The brakes felt funny, the handling was blah, and the steering felt numb. Ford apparently heard these complaints from its customers as well. 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
For 2009, although virtually unchanged visually (the only distinguishing difference is a deeper chin spoiler) the new Hybrid Escapes see the 2.3L four cylinder engine upgraded to an Atkinson cycle 2.5L for a total of 177 net horsepower. The CVT gets a more aggressive software package and some improved tuning on the hardware side. Also new for '09 is the inclusion of Roll Stability Control and the fancy pants Limited trim.
Change for the Hybrid program for '09 focused on fixing the annoyances from the '08. The brake pedal feel was the biggest offender, it had been sort of a stepped feel, the first inch of travel was like a weak spring, second inch was like pushing through warm butter and the final was like real brakes, it was very disconcerting. Since the braking is done by wire, simulating the brake feel with a vacuum module was the solution and it is much, much improved. Braking feels direct and linear — just like real brakes!

The next little annoyance was the steering — with electric power steering, the on-center feel was about as natural and smooth as Bush delivering the Gettysburg Address. Tuning the amount of assist through software has greatly improved the feel of things.
And then there's the handing. Across the range a rear anti-roll bar has been added and across the range the *** end feels a lot more controllable, far more confident on high speed sweeping corners and through tight apexes alike. So how is the hybrid on the road? Sports car? Far from it, it still understeers like a pig, but that's the safety police for you. The engine note has moved one notch closer to throaty and the additional power is notable in a straight line. The hybrid system is FAR more willing to go into all-electric mode with the new tune, you find the engine shutting off all the time when lifting off the pedal. Engine on is barely even perceptible, like the best tuned automatic transmission in the world gently kicking down a gear.

Overall, the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid contains a lot of touchy-feely improvements. The advances come from driver feel more than anything else, as a result its all very subjective. Regardless, the simulated inputs make this feel just like a real car, and if you didn't have that little leafy badge on the side, you'd be hard pressed to guess it was a hybrid.
2009 Ford Escape V6 4x4
The '08 Ford Escape was a lesson in engineering timing. The 200bhp V6 was forced to live with an outdated and unloved four speed automatic which liked to hunt and peck at gears, making spirited driving mean-spirited. With the 2009 model, both engine and trans get makeovers. The engine grows to 3.0 liters and gets a whopping 40bhp boost up to 240, but it's also mated to the new 6F35 six speed automatic. That new six speed goes out of its way to make the engine seem like a superstar. Combined with the anti-roll bar in the back, the new Escape V6 is... dare I say it? Kinda fun to drive. With the added power and defeated traction control, you can actually get a little tail happy with this thing.

Combined with an improved and easier to use Sync system and the optional and subscription-based Sirius Travelink, the "do I have to drive it?" idea actually starts to shift to "this isn't half bad". You won't find anyone spouting off about quarter mile times or comparing the styling against anything from Italy, but Ford seems to be making progress on its mini-UV's. It says something to note that we wouldn't be averse to actually spending a week with one. What kind of apostasy is this?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: 2009 Escape First Drive

I feel a little sick.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The funny thing is that the brake pedal and handling were things that I wasn't anamored with on the test drive. However, in real life, I rarely touch the brakes (L is better) and my driving style is so conservative that I don't even notice the handling. I guess I don't need to pony up for an '09! (now I just hope that the MPGs are the same and not 20% higher )

Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Ok so they tuned it to go EV much more.....

good now how about a software update for the 08's so our EV will do that...

Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cozdiver
Ok so they tuned it to go EV much more.....

good now how about a software update for the 08's so our EV will do that...
I don't know, another review I read said the 2009 would now go to ... wait for it ... 40 miles per hour. Last week I went 35 miles per hour in EV in my 2008, and I have read of people going to 38 MPH.

Evidently there are cosmetic aerodynamic changes as well, nothing major, but they did say it help by 1-2 MPG at highway speeds. The article didn't say if this referred to ICE only or all models.

Other than that the major improvements are Traction Control, Stability Control, and a new roll bar.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Glad it's been improved upon. I really like my Mariner Hybrid, and I will probably buy another one in 2011 or 2012 when I need a new car. This is the best car I have ever driven in the snow, and that is a major issue for me.

By the way, I heard, but don't know for a fact that the Clinton's wanted to buy a 2009 Mariner Hybrid so Ford Built the Mariners first. This means 2009 Mariners will be available first.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
Glad it's been improved upon. I really like my Mariner Hybrid, and I will probably buy another one in 2011 or 2012 when I need a new car. This is the best car I have ever driven in the snow, and that is a major issue for me.

By the way, I heard, but don't know for a fact that the Clinton's wanted to buy a 2009 Mariner Hybrid so Ford Built the Mariners first. This means 2009 Mariners will be available first.
Hmmm, did i hear that she was proposing something like a $10K credit or refund for purchasers of a hybrid vehicle? If that is true then it makes her seem a little less genuine over this.

Oh well, regardless, these are great vehicles. I cannot wait til my 09 is built and delivered.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM

The Clintons already have a 2006 MMH that was also "modified" for security reasons. How much they drive the MMH is another question.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=salsbr;172474]http://jalopnik.com/390790/2009-ford-escape-first-drive
The brake pedal feel was the biggest offender, it had been sort of a stepped feel, the first inch of travel was like a weak spring, second inch was like pushing through warm butter and the final was like real brakes, it was very disconcerting. Since the braking is done by wire, simulating the brake feel with a vacuum module was the solution and it is much, much improved. Braking feels direct and linear — just like real brakes!
I have the '06 FEH so I don't know what the '08 brakes feel like. It struck me that the multilevel brake feel might have been a geek sheik feature to let you know when you are going from pure regen, part regen to full friction brake mode so that you know how to stop most efficiently.

This review brings up a point that bothers me when I read about comparisons about hybrid vs the old skool type cars. Articles and "experts" always go out of their way to point out about the "shudder between EV and ICE mode" and brake differences. If the shudder saves fuel, let it shudder. If the firmware "improvements" reduce mileage, let it shudder. If the shudder was so bad as to knock your sunglasses off, that would be different!

My 2 cents,
Dave

Focusing on hybrid operational modes vs 100% ICE is as logical as comparing the relative shifting differences between a bicycle and a Ferrari.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I agree with you Dave.

However, 10 "complaints" from people who don't like it out-weigh 1000 people who are OK with it. Ford knows people who love hybrids are going to buy one regardless.

Ford wants to snag those last 10 people who may consider "shudder" a deal-breaker.

Quick Reply: 2009 Escape First Drive

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands