2009 Escape First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Escape First Drive

Originally Posted by kristian
The funny thing is that the brake pedal and handling were things that I wasn't anamored with on the test drive. However, in real life, I rarely touch the brakes (L is better) and my driving style is so conservative that I don't even notice the handling. I guess I don't need to pony up for an '09! (now I just hope that the MPGs are the same and not 20% higher )
I agree completely

Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
This is the best car I have ever driven in the snow, and that is a major issue for me.
Just out of curiousity, do you have the AWD or FWD? I am going to be ordering my '09 MMH soon and am trying to decide whether I need the AWD or not. I would like to have it since I live in a winter state; however, there is a significant cost, FE, and tax credit hit.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Based on my experience, I would rather have FWD with snow tires than AWD and all season tires. This is coming from my experience with studded snow tires on my Contour and then switching to an Outback with stock tires. It was easier to start out in the Outback, but the Contour had far more control in the turns and stopped much easier. If I would have kept the Outback longer, I would have bought snow tires for it which would have been the ultimate in my book (AWD + Snows).

I don't think they import FWD FEHs into Colorado because everyone here is convinced that they NEED AWD, so I didn't have much choice (other than special ordering). If I had the choice when I bought the MMH, I probably would have gone FWD and invested in a good set of snows.

I drove all winter last winter with the stock MMH tires and got around just fine, so you might not even need snow tires depending on where you are, even on an FWD car. If you frequently drive unplowed roads with steep hills, you would want snows, but otherwise you would probably be fine with the stocks.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I did both last winter, I drove part of December 2007 with the stock EcoPlus tires in wet, heavy snow. I was not impressed with these tires in this condition. I then installed my four Goodyear Triple Tread tires on my 2005 AWD Escape Hybrid and proceeded to rack up over 9000 miles in winter conditions. This included driving on an unplowed, rural montain road covered with seven to ten inches of snow up a vertical climb of 1000 feet with no problem. (I was lost on my way to a nordic ski area). I spent the previous 16 winters driving a front wheel Ford Station Wagon with snow tires. I would have to say these Goodyear tires were significantly better in all areas than my previous sets of Michellin snow tires. There is a draw back to using these tires, there is more rolling resistance than the EcoPlus tires and you will take a hit on your fuel economy.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DetroitMike
Just out of curiousity, do you have the AWD or FWD? I am going to be ordering my '09 MMH soon and am trying to decide whether I need the AWD or not. I would like to have it since I live in a winter state; however, there is a significant cost, FE, and tax credit hit.
I live just south of Fort Wayne Indiana. I felt very confident with my FWD and snow. I did put about 150 lbs of weight in the back to help out the light wieght rear end when it was icy. I dont think 4X4 would have improved it at all.

Interesting comments about the brakes, I guess I dont notice anything to even complain about. The brakes seem fine to me in my 2008.