2009 escape hybrid changes at mid 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 escape hybrid changes at mid 40 mph

looking at the specs it appears 2009 ford escape hybrid switches from electric to gas at about 45 mph. My 2006 Ford escape does it at mid 20's mph. Can this be retrofitted???

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 escape hybrid changes at mid 40 mph

The Ford Fusion Hybrid has the electric to gas switch at 47 mph, the Escape Hybrid does not. No retrofit changes.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

so if we reset electric to gas on 2006 escape it should work?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by sdca
so if we reset electric to gas on 2006 escape it should work?
NO. You can not do anything to modify your 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid system to make it a 2009 version.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: 2009 escape hybrid changes at mid 40 mph

Originally Posted by Billyk
NO. You can not do anything to modify your 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid system to make it a 2009 version.
Don't get too over worked like i did. it's another bot.

For now... it's not ads. But that will start soon ...

Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

People here are saying that the FEH switches "from electric to gas" at certain MPH" ... but in reality, isn't the eCVT transmission using both electric and the gas engine at the same time, when the gas engine turns on? It isn't one or ther other in a "Full Hybrid", like the Escape is, as far as I know (I'm new to this so far).

See this site, click on "Flash Animation How Hybrids Work" and click on the "Full Hybrid" at the top:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridtech.shtml

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have only had my '08 FEH for almost two weeks. From what I have read all over the internet, and seen now with my own eyes. The FEH can go in electric drive mode up to speeds around 40mph(this takes a very very gentle gas pedal touch). Most of the time it seems to switch into hybrid mode around 20-30mph. I myself have been in electric mode up to around 30ish mph, then the FEH goes into hybrid drive mode. I have noticed that this can vary greatly from day to day, even from one take off to the next, due to driver/driving habits, roads/temps, accesorries used, weighted loads, and etc. I too am new to this and am still "learning how to drive a hybrid".

But all in all I am very very happy to be getting 30+ mpg in this SUV.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by GeoMike
People here are saying that the FEH switches "from electric to gas" at certain MPH" ... but in reality, isn't the eCVT transmission using both electric and the gas engine at the same time, when the gas engine turns on? It isn't one or ther other in a "Full Hybrid", like the Escape is, as far as I know (I'm new to this so far).

[/URL]
They are simply talking about "electric only mode" when the gas engine is stationary. Yes, about 98% of the time, when the gas engine is turning and burning gas, you are also geting either electric boost ( power out of the battery ) or electric charge ( power going into the battery ).

The Nav screen, if equipped, shows just how busy this car is.
Approx. 2% of the time, you are driving on pure gas and neither charging or boosting.

There is also deceleration fuel cutoff, such as when coasting down a hill at higher speeds. At high speeds, the gas engine is turning, but the fuel injectors are off and you are getting infinate MPG... which is sort of like electric only driving.

HTH,
-John

Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Doesn't a plug-in hybrid conversion increase the "electric-only mode" speed limit?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Yes, about 98% of the time, when the gas engine is turning and burning gas, you are also geting either electric boost ( power out of the battery ) or electric charge ( power going into the battery ).
Isn't it also true that in many cases SOME of the torque from the engine is detouring into the generator, and the generated electricity is used at the traction motor to create torque to the wheels (and it does not go through the battery). The rest of the torque is sent directly to the wheels. The direct path gives a fixed RPM/Torque relationship.... the path through the generator and motor has a different RPM/Torque relationship. From what I've gathered...the system balances these two "paths" to create the continuous "gear" ratio you see... hence the e in eCVT.

If you have the NAV, this is what is happening when you see an arrow going from the engine to the wheels, a second arrow from the engine to the motor, and an arrow from the motor to the wheels.... with NO arrows going to or from the battery.

Not contradicting you... just checking my understanding.

Quick Reply: 2009 escape hybrid changes at mid 40 mph

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands