2013 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Default 2013 Escape

"The new Ford Escape will be shorter in height but otherwise larger than the outgoing version. The wheelbase will be stretched by almost 7 inches, while overall length will increase by about 4 inches and width will increase by about 3 inches, so expect a far more spacious environment for second-row passengers.
Although the Kuga offers a turbodiesel engine as an option, we imagine it won't make it to the States. And unlike the current Escape, there will be no optional V6. Instead we expect a choice of four-cylinder engines that will include turbocharged ("EcoBoost" in Ford parlance), direct-injected, 1.6- and 2.0-liter units to provide respectable performance along with high fuel efficiency. There might also be a normally aspirated 2.5-liter inline-4 on the powertrain roster as well. We expect that an automatic engine start/stop feature (such as what's seen in various mild hybrid vehicles) will be featured as well. Ford claims this feature can increase fuel efficiency by up to 5 percent in normal driving and by even more in heavy stop-and-go traffic.
The 2013 Ford Escape is set to go on sale in the summer of 2012."
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2013/

No Hybrid? Big Change! Wrong Move?

GaryG

Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 Escape

The Ford C-Max (the Escape Hybrid dies) receives the hybrid equipment and treatment in 2012/13. It will be similiar in size to the current Mazda 5

Ford has stated it will be more cost efficient to move to a dedicate platform for the hybrid vehicle.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Imported from Detroit

If it looks like that, all Ecape's die. If one compares specs, there isn't anything to compare. The Escape isn't being replaced, it's being dropped.

The Ford CSUV is dead.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM

I see that Ford officially announced the power-train line-up for the new 2013 Escape.

Absent from the line-up is any kind of hybrid.

The line-up that will be offered is:

•2.5-liter four
•2.0-liter EcoBoost four
•1.6-liter EcoBoost four

Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got an email from The Ford Story, Ford's blog which confirm this but it's been known for months. The eco-boost 1.6L gets 31mpg.

The C-Max which will be released next year will have a hybrid.

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-arti...-c-max-hybrid/

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

I see no mention of AWD for either of the C-Max hybrids. Does this mean there will be no hybrid Fords with AWD?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
The eco-boost 1.6L gets 31mpg.
31mpg CITY, like the hybrid ???

I'll need to see that with my own eyes before I would believe that.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 AM

I think that the Ford Escape Hybrid was Ford's "learning platform." They put together the transaxle, it tested well on their proving ground, so they picked a platform to get it on the road and see just what real world warranty experience they would have.

Note that this engine & transaxle setup is now going into their Lincoln platform, their MKZ. So Ford must like the warranty claims experience they've had and are moving into other platforms.

I'd like to think they're looking at putting it into a small pickup with a V-6 powerplant.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm suspicious that none of the manufacturers really wanted to build hybrids in the first place. Toyota pushed the envelope by producing the prius and so the others followed up not wanting to be left out of the market. If you look at the market place for used hybrids it suggests that the general public is unimpressed.

Ford's move toward the ecoboost solution seems to also suggest that the auto makers are more inclined to push the more conventional ICE style of powertrain. The conspiracy theorist in me tends to think that the auto makers would kill the electric (and maybe hybrid too) car again if they could get away with it. Hopefully Tesla and a host of others will see to it that the concept of an all electric car for the masses will advance as it should.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 AM

I agree with ya on the "didn't really want to build hybrids." They're always driven to the "least expensive to build" cars. That's why direct injection for gasoline engines took so long to come around (eg Ecoboost's central feature is direct injection). In reality direct injection is a marginal improvement in fuel economy but given the MPG games driven by both federal law & ever climbing prices for fuel, it makes sense.

Still I really like the FEH! Ford did good! Like I said they're moving this powerplant into cars like the Lincoln MKZ, so they're not dumping this powertrain.

Quick Reply: 2013 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands