2013 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 Escape

Originally Posted by WaltPA
31mpg CITY, like the hybrid ???

I'll need to see that with my own eyes before I would believe that.
No, I'm sure they are talking highway.

I'm thinking that the FEH are going to have high resale values after 2012.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have been reading and looking at the press release of the 2013 "Escape". It is an Escape in name only as the Escape we know is dead. The hybrid we know is dead. The new "Escape" is just another cross-over vehicle like so many others on the market today. It seems Ford has ditched the Escape which was the second most popular model they sold this past year. Of course they kept the name, but that is all as they didn't even bother to keep the Hybrid version. The excuse is eco-tech engines will replace the hybrids. I doubt if the city mileage in an eco-tech is any where near as good as a hybrid. Advertising on TV seems to just focus on highway MPG. Not everyone stays on a highway all day. I wish they had to always tell what the average MPG is in the advertising when they talk MPG.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
I agree with ya on the "didn't really want to build hybrids." They're always driven to the "least expensive to build" cars. That's why direct injection for gasoline engines took so long to come around (eg Ecoboost's central feature is direct injection). In reality direct injection is a marginal improvement in fuel economy but given the MPG games driven by both federal law & ever climbing prices for fuel, it makes sense.

Still I really like the FEH! Ford did good! Like I said they're moving this powerplant into cars like the Lincoln MKZ, so they're not dumping this powertrain.
But DFI is a much more substandial improvement in FE if the engine isn't also derated/detuned to accommdate BOOST.

EcoBoost was originally concieved as "TwinForce", a method to attract "boy racers" and those of that mentality to the new pony car...Mustang.

But then gas prices went into orbit.

So Ford proved once again that while you can try, you can NEVER make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Oh, with the MKZ they is likely just enough more profit margin to afford the Toyota licensing cost.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I thought I read somewhere that Mazda was bringing a small diesel to US market, forgot what os where I read it, anyone else confirm?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Oh, with the MKZ they is likely just enough more profit margin to afford the Toyota licensing cost.
I'm interested in the licensing cost you mentioned. Can you provide any printed information about this? All I can find is mention of a cross-licensing agreement between Ford and Toyota where they shared technology in return for agreeing not to sue each other over similar technology that was created in separate development initiatives. No money appears to be involved.

(ref:http://www.green.autoblog.com/2009/0...a-hybrid-syst/)

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by MyPart
I'm interested in the licensing cost you mentioned. Can you provide any printed information about this? All I can find is mention of a cross-licensing agreement between Ford and Toyota where they shared technology in return for agreeing not to sue each other over similar technology that was created in separate development initiatives. No money appears to be involved.

(ref:http://www.green.autoblog.com/2009/0...a-hybrid-syst/)
I think that this is a tale perpetuated by people that are ashamed of being an American.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM

No, PROUD to be an American.

Just facts.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by wwest
...........Just facts.
Which you are unable or unwilling to document.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

I understood it as Ford traded some diesel technology in exchange for some hybrid technology. But also remember reading that Ford still registered over 125 unique patents in the process.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Yes, Ford had its share of patents arising from the overall application of the hybrid synergy drive technique, not the least of which was the lowering of regen capability with OAT as a safety measure.

Last edited by wwest; 11-24-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands