2013 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 Escape

As usual, Mr. West is unable to document the OAT-outside air temperature- sensor. Yet he continues to post his theory every winter that has been documented to be untrue by several members of this forum.

This is from someone who claims "Lexus wanted to hire him to teach their ...."

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by wwest
Yes, Ford had its share of patents arising from the overall application of the hybrid synergy drive technique, not the least of which was the lowering of regen capability with OAT as a safety measure.
My 2005 FEH does not have this so called "measure".
So this is obviously not an implemented patent.
I'm sure you know over 99% of all patents never come to market.

It was -2°F this morning.
My intake air temperature after moving through the snorkel under the hood was reading +4°F and this is what the FEH uses as an outside air temperature reference.

I had used my plug-in 120v AC battery heater for the previous 8 hours.
My battery Tave reading was 64°F.
As soon as my water temp was above 154°F I had normal EV mode with Full Regen brake, and Full battery assist.

It is absolutly, 100% proven that regen amperage is only relative to battery temperature, not outside air temperature.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My intake air temperature after moving through the snorkel under the hood was reading +4°F and this is what the FEH uses as an outside air temperature reference.
Are you trying to say that the PCM calculates OAT using intake temperature? You started a whole thread about that before which sure didn't prove that point. Intake temperature varies so much between at standing idle to moving that it would be impossible.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My 2005 FEH does not have this so called "measure".
So this is obviously not an implemented patent.
I'm sure you know over 99% of all patents never come to market.

I had used my plug-in 120v AC battery heater for the previous 8 hours.
My battery Tave reading was 64°F.
As soon as my water temp was above 154°F I had normal EV mode with Full Regen brake, and Full battery assist.

It is absolutly, 100% proven that regen amperage is only relative to battery temperature, not outside air temperature.
"...regen AMPERAGE..."

Without questioning your analysis, no dispute there. But at what point during braking does the system switch from regen braking, FRONT wheel braking ONLY, to combined regen/frictional braking at freezing or sub-freezing temperatures vs not.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

All I can read is pretty much the hybrid Escape is dead. My 2008 FEH AWD shows no signs of wearing out and I don't put that much mileage on it.

I had thought that I would buy the next-gen FEH, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

As for FEH resale market, it has always been the case here that they were nearly impossible to get at any price. The dealer here tells me "owners of these just don't trade them in." If you want to buy a new one there is a waiting list.

The specs on the new "Escape" don't do much for me. There are some styling points I like but not much more. I use my car off-road to carry hang gliders so I can't use a under-built crossover. Perhaps in 4 years or so something from some manufacturer will make something that seems like a trade up from the FEH, but I don't see it yet.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MrCrank
I use my car off-road to carry hang gliders so I can't use a under-built crossover. Perhaps in 4 years or so something from some manufacturer will make something that seems like a trade up from the FEH, but I don't see it yet.
How about a used Prius for your daily driver, and a used Toyota Tacoma (or other small PU) for the hang gliders?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
How about a used Prius for your daily driver, and a used Toyota Tacoma (or other small PU) for the hang gliders?
Well I have got to the age where it is no longer a matter of what I can AFFORD, but what I like to drive.

I drive a FEH not because I couldn't afford a Lexus or MB, or BMW or whatever (and the gas for it) but as an engineer I feel like the FEH represents a step up in evolution over a conventional car. I am reminded of that every time I am in stopped traffic surrounded by idling engines, where the FEH is just sitting quietly. I also like the incredibly solid feeling of the car -- nothing rattling loose or clanking or doing anything but working perfectly.

I read somewhere that used taxicabs from Manhattan with 300,000 miles on them are selling for $17K+. How many other cars can command a resale price like that?

So whenever I trade in the FEH (not for several years from what I can see) I'll pick the best small SUV I can get. I thought that would be another Escape but it looks like Ford isn't going that way.

Also, the Prius might be a fine car and all. Certainly popular. But fugly. If I get two cars after all the 2nd one is going to be a Tesla.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Well I have got to the age where it is no longer a matter of what I can AFFORD, but what I like to drive.

I drive a FEH not because I couldn't afford a Lexus or MB, or BMW or whatever (and the gas for it) but as an engineer I feel like the FEH represents a step up in evolution over a conventional car. I am reminded of that every time I am in stopped traffic surrounded by idling engines, where the FEH is just sitting quietly. I also like the incredibly solid feeling of the car -- nothing rattling loose or clanking or doing anything but working perfectly.

I read somewhere that used taxicabs from Manhattan with 300,000 miles on them are selling for $17K+. How many other cars can command a resale price like that?

So whenever I trade in the FEH (not for several years from what I can see) I'll pick the best small SUV I can get. I thought that would be another Escape but it looks like Ford isn't going that way.

Also, the Prius might be a fine car and all. Certainly popular. But fugly. If I get two cars after all the 2nd one is going to be a Tesla.
There were many improvements in the '09 FEH over the older models, but I don't drive it much since I got my wife the '11 Explorer. I don't know if it was the 20" rims and R50 Hankook tires, but it handles and drives much better than the '09 FEH. In fact, I've never own a vehicle that I love driving this much. Here in Florida, I run the A/C all the time and my wife and I have a combined LMPG of 23.8mpg. With the '09 FEH with no A/C use, I have a combined LMPG of 53.8mpg.

Ford is working on the engine Start/Stop system which will make there vehicles shutdown coming to a stop and restart when you give it gas pedal. Most Fords sold today now have aggressive Fuel-Cut (DFSO), so when you are slowing down, no fuel is burning above ~20mph. This maybe why Ford is going to stop making the FEH. Better things are coming soon!

GaryG

Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Well Said Alan!! Exactly my reasons for Loving the FEH!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Maybe not quite that high: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-OWN...#ht_747wt_1167