2018 Ford Escape PHEV?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2018 Ford Escape PHEV?

The C-Max sales have not been good. Reading various reports it appears Ford is going to end production of the C-Max around 2017 and introduce a new Hybrid vehicle with various versions in 2018 based upon the " C2 platform" that the Escape and Focus is based upon. The Escape is due for a new version in 2018. This could mean the return of the Escape Hybrid including a PHEV version. It might take two year before spy photos start to appear.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2018 Ford Escape PHEV?

Why would Ford double down on making more small hybrids if they haven't been selling well in the first place? The FEH's sales crashed in its last few years even as gas prices went up. The current Subaru XV Crosstrek hybrid isn't doing well either. Good luck finding inventory of new Toyota Highlander hybrids, etc.
If something like the new Lexus NX300h catches on, maybe Ford will respond with a hybrid Lincoln MKC.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM

This link: http://motrolix.com/2014/11/ford-mot...-2014-numbers/

Indicates the Escape had 255,000 sales while the CMax had 23,000 sales in 2014. Why isn't the CMax selling in greater numbers? Indifferent/Poor marketing? Sub Prius MPG figures? Cost/value? Unknown name? Too small of an vehicle? Other? Take your pick.

Why would Ford double down on hybrids if they are not selling as expected? Automakers have no choice to make changes due to government regulations in regards to emission and corporate fuel MPG figures. Will Ford be banking on the Escape and Focus name recognition to help swell hybrid vehicle purchases?

As for the FEH sales dropping in 2011/2012. Ford had an agreement with Sanyo (batteries) and Asian AW (eCVT) and they were limited in the number of units they could secure. More of these were sent to the then new Fusion Hybrid vehicle, thus limiting FEH vehicles.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM

I forgot about the Nissan Pathfinder hybrid, wonder how that's doing. Nevertheless, I think we can agree that 10 years after Ford introduced the first SUV hybrid, a significant market has failed to materialize for these hybrids even as the overall market for CUV/small SUVs has exploded.
US buyers for CUVs clearly prefer other less expensive gas saving technologies like direct injection, small displacement turbocharged engines, weight reduction, more efficient transmissions/CVTs, idle stop/start, etc. Unless fuel prices swing back upward dramatically I think it's doubtful we will see more hybrid SUVs soon, but it would be great to be proven wrong if the long-promised (and already strong selling in other markets) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV finally arrives here in the US.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Ford has hired and has posted opening for hybrid engineers for the F150 truck. This indicates a return of the Escape Hybrid.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Ford has hired and has posted opening for hybrid engineers for the F150 truck. This indicates a return of the Escape Hybrid.
Or it could mean new Expedition/Navigator hybrid since they share the F-150's chassis and powertrain. Would be an interesting move since GM bailed out on the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade hybrid.
Since the F-150 is Ford's highest seller and most profitable vehicle, even small improvements in MPG of it make a huge impact in Ford's CAFE and the return on investment for hybridizing it probably make a lot more business sense than smaller cars and SUVs that have lower sticker prices and much more competition in the market than an F-150.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:46 PM

Billyk
As for the FEH sales dropping in 2011/2012. Ford had an agreement with Sanyo (batteries) and Asian AW (eCVT) and they were limited in the number of units they could secure. More of these were sent to the then new Fusion Hybrid vehicle, thus limiting FEH vehicles.
Good point to make, but has anyone seen "official" confirmation of this? It could be a very plausible rumor.

Billyk
Indicates the Escape had 255,000 sales while the CMax had 23,000 sales in 2014. Why isn't the CMax selling in greater numbers? Indifferent/Poor marketing? Sub Prius MPG figures? Cost/value? Unknown name? Too small of an vehicle? Other? Take your pick.
So the C-Max was about 9% of Escape sales in 2014.

D-mac
I think we can agree that 10 years after Ford introduced the first SUV hybrid, a significant market has failed to materialize for these hybrids even as the overall market for CUV/small SUVs has exploded.
Why would Ford double down on making more small hybrids if they haven't been selling well in the first place? The FEH's sales crashed in its last few years even as gas prices went up.
Looking at the Escape, Fusion and C-Max sales figures listed in Wikipedia we can compare these opinions to the numbers.

Escape Hybrid sales never exceeded 11% of Escape sales and peaked in th e '06 and '07 years. The Fusion Hybrid came on the scene in '09, and combined Fusion and Escape Hybrid sales for '09, '10 and '11 don't clearly support that there were a set number of batteries and transmissions available for them.

The numbers seem to support that the C-Max did indeed replace FEH sales. This is especially impressive given that half of FEH's had AWD, while all C-Max's are FWD.

These numbers don't support the claim that sales of small hybrid suv's have fallen off. In fact including vehicles such as the Prius V actually proves a strong and growing market for small hybrid suv-like vehicles.

2005 9% of Escapes 18,800
2006 11% of Escapes 20,000
2007 11% of Escapes 21,000
2008 9% of Escapes 17,000
2009 7% of Escapes 15,000, Fusion 15,500, battery&ecvt: 30,000
2010 4% of Escapes 11,000, Fusion 21,000, battery&ecvt: 32,000
2011 2.5% of Escapes 10,000, Fusion 11,000, battery&ecvt: 21,000
2012 .5% of Escapes 1,400, Fusion 14,000, C-Max 11,000, Hybrid SUV: 12,000, battery&ecvt: 26,000
2013 Fusion 37,000, C-Max 30,000*, Hybrid SUV: 30,000, battery&ecvt: 67,000

*Cautiously extrapolated from 7-month number
The numbers don't include Canadian sales
Assuming C-Max Energi sales are included in C-Max
There were hybrids other than these sold by Ford during some of these years.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM

The problem with both the C-Max and Escape is poor MPG. Ford put the EcoBoost engines in the Escapes, and the turbos run constantly sucking down gas. The C-Max has the inefficient 2.0L in both the Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid. My '09 FEH got much better MPG as a Hybrid than the C-Max in Hybrid Mode. This is giving the Plug-in Energi a bad rap, so even those are not selling and can be gotten cheap. For this reason, I ordered my Son the 2015 C-Max Energi. If you intend to drive around town Mostly in EV, the Energi fits the bill because I've only burn 15 gallons of gas in over 8,000 miles. That's a lifetime 534mpg and 133.5 MPGe.

Gary

Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM

When I do the math on a plug-in hybrid it costs less per mile to burn gasoline compared to electricity at $0.11/kWh.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
When I do the math on a plug-in hybrid it costs less per mile to burn gasoline compared to electricity at $0.11/kWh.
Don, the most you can fill the battery is 5.7KWh on a single charge. The battery has a 7.6KWh capacity, but it will not drop to 0% SOC before the engine starts MG1 and charges the battery. The 5.7KWh includes regen also in it's EV range. Each charge from a drained battery cost about .63 cents at .11 per KWh, but most of my charges are free in my County except when I charge at home. Also, there are conversion losses from the wall, but you also can cool or heat the cabin without burning gas while charging. In California, I hear public chargers can be a total rip off and it can be cheaper to use gas sometimes.

My Son and I are hypermilers and we get 30 miles plus in EV on a single charge. I haven't seen any increase in my electric bill since I've owned my Energi for 19 months.

Gary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Ford Escape PHEV?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands