20K Service from Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 20K Service from Dealer?

I'm coming up on the 20K service and thinking about taking it to the dealer. I did the 5K and 10K service myself because they were just oil change, rotate tires, check HV battery filter. But the 20K service has many more inspection items, and I think this would be a good one to get a dealer stamp on.

Any advice or comments on what this service costs from the dealer? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Default Re: 20K Service from Dealer?

Originally Posted by econoline
I'm coming up on the 20K service and thinking about taking it to the dealer. I did the 5K and 10K service myself because they were just oil change, rotate tires, check HV battery filter. But the 20K service has many more inspection items, and I think this would be a good one to get a dealer stamp on.

Any advice or comments on what this service costs from the dealer? Thanks.
Ford has a 20,000 mile check-up but it mostly applies to oil change, battery filter replacement, check hoses, Brakes etc. If you see or feel nothing wrong, most likely there is nothing wrong. I didn't pay for the inspection on my '05 and will not pay for the '09 inspection. Change your oil and filters per requirements and look and feel for damage in steering and braking and you should be safe.

GaryG

Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

At my dealer (Long Beach), they charged me the same $27.99 plus taxes for the 20K service as they did for the 10K service and the 30K service. I spent a few more $ and a few seconds to change the filters per the manual. The dealer throws in all of the inspections free because they want more business.
If the dealer wants to charge you more for your 20K than they do for the normal 10K interval service, they're probably ripping you off.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My 20K mile visit was cheaper than the 10K one but I went to a different dealer because I was out of town at the time. It wasn't any more than a normal oil change visit at either dealer as best I can tell just a regional price difference.

I get all my maintenance interval/oil changes done by the dealer and will continue to do so until the factory warranty has expired. I know you can do it yourself or even have another shop do it as long as you keep good records. I just don't want the hassle of proving proper maintenance if something goes wrong.

I did put in a cabin air filter and change the battery air filter myself. The dealer didn't have either in stock and if I'm gonna have to wait I might as well save money on the part and the install by doing it myself.