2WD VS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2WD VS AWD

Gearing-up to purchase a FEH. Test-drove the AWD model. Have not been able to locate a 2WD for a test drive. Any comments/suggestions/threads to look at, that might help me decide which is better (performance vs fuel economy, etc).

Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2WD VS AWD

How often do you think you'll need AWD?

I've known lots of people that bought a 4X4, but then drove it for 7 years and only used 4WD twice (and only for recreation).

I'd base my purchasing decision on these factors: If my weather conditions warrant it (snow, etc) or I expect a lot of recreational use (beach or trails) then I'd get the AWD. If I didn't have those expectations, wanted a lower purchase price, and I wanted to optimize FE, I'd get the 2WD.

YMMV.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 PM

Oh, I have a 4WD Escape. I drive it on the trails out here in AZ. Lots of fun! But if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for the 2WD. Better FE. The insurance may be cheaper. Lower initial cost. And if I really want to get serious with the off-roading, I'd buy a jeep!

Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Prior to my 2WD (FWD) FEH I owned a AWD Ford Explorer ( 16MPG). Except for one or two times in some heavy snow I really did not need the 4X4 and I NEVER actually put it into four wheel lock so it was rear wheel drive except if they slipped then the front took over, you'd kind of feel it bucking when the limited slip differential kicked in. I am now in my second winter here in Michigan with my Escape Hybrid FWD and have been thru alot of snow and had no troubles with the front wheel drive. I chose the FWD for the economy and initial savings. This is my first front wheel drive vehicle that I have owned and getting thru the snow was a breeze.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

All the bases have been hit, more or less.

The FWD is the better option if there's no true reason to get the 4WD, it's cheaper, you get better MPGs, and you're lighter.

The 4WD is for people who feel they need that added control, because of where they live or how the use their vehicle, that's something they're willing to pay the costs (FE and pricewise) to use.

I myself got the 4WD, because of the weather and road situations, I feel that I'm far better off with the 4WD than FWD. I've already made use of it even with only the taste of winter that we've gotten.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: 2WD VS AWD

Well I got mine with AWD because it was the only FEH with all the other stuff (loaded with every option available) in the area. There was not another one in the state of GA that I wanted, so I took it.
Haven’t been in a condition that would require a AWD but it is there if I needed/wanted to use it but I know that it is there if I did.
I know that I will NEVER get the FE that the 2WD get (especially Rich and Gary) but - - -

Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 AM

Phillip, Rich has the AWD but gets darn good mileage with it.

The FWD is still my pick for EV driving. Since you can only pull 1,000 pounds, I knew I would not be pulling my boat out of a steep slippery ramp with it.

One other point that needs to be brought up is reverse only uses the electric motor. There is no reverse gear and I've found it on the weak side backing up on slopes and curbs. If the AWD has this problem, off road where you need to back up out of bad surfaces and sand mounds, this could leave you stranded.

In addition, my minimum mpg without the A/C is 40mpg, my high side is 52mpg but this scangauge leaves me room for improvement now. The FWD's may pay for themselfs much quicker with the gas savings if you can do without the AWD. I recommend adding the Nav. sys. on the FWD BTW.

GaryG

Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM

You didn't mention what part of the country you are in. I would say that is the most important consideration for whether you want AWD or not. I live near Boston (80-90" annual snow) but in general they keep the roads fairly well cleared. Both of my Escape Hybrids are FWD only and I haven't had a problem yet. I live on a hill and have had some wheel spin when the streets haven't been plowed yet but I have never been stuck. I'm usually more worried about stopping and these things stop great in snow....The next hardest decision is color.....

Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I wanted to do it all over again, 2wd would be the best option. Better mileage.
I live in a relatively flat part of the world that can get snow and slush. I didn't have any problem when I kept my old click-the-switch-between-2wd-and-4wd '01 Escape on 2wd most of the time.
I still want to see how my AWD works in East Coast beach sand. I know it worked well in last year's snow .. this time last year NYC had some snow around and a blizzard to come at the end of January. It has none now.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Ray's right, except for the heat in summer, I got it made with the temp. staying between 65F - 80F and no snow at all. It going to get cold here in the morning but I don't expect below 38F and high in the low 60's.

Another big hit you take is with gas additives. I get pure 87 octane (most of the time) which is a BIG plus. Stay away from additives if you can. It must kill the AWD.

GaryG

Quick Reply: 2WD VS AWD

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands