4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4wd

Originally Posted by wwest;170272

[I
If the FEH/MMH is driven into an area of sub-freezing weather then the level of regenerative braking is significantly REDUCED. .
[/I]

Can you back this up with Ford Documents?

This isn't exactly what I have experienced in driving during the past winter. There is something about the hybrid battery needing to reach "normal" operating temperature and its effect on regenerative braking. In near zero weather, with a warmed up hybrid battery temperature via scanguage, I have not noticed significantly reduced regernative braking action. I can remember an earlier thread on this and with John (GPSMan1) stating his case to you about this exact subject.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Why hasn't Toyota gone rear wheel drive only if is was a wise choice for GM's crown--Cadillac. Not enough torque steer for Toyota vehicles?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Toyota's "crown",.... Lexus, is mostly RWD.

Last edited by wwest; 04-29-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Why hasn't Toyota gone rear wheel drive only if is was a wise choice for GM's crown--Cadillac. Not enough torque steer for Toyota vehicles?
Beats me, you should ask Toyota! RWD is better for performance, but worse for MPG, and FWD actually has a lot of traction because the propulsion wheels are under the engine.

What FWD lacks is the weight distribution between front and rear.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Beats me, you should ask Toyota! RWD is better for performance, but worse for MPG,

"worse for MPG,...."

???? WHY, What %...??

and FWD actually has a lot of traction because the propulsion wheels are under the engine.

"Lot of traction"

????

Due to front weight bias...?? By what %....?

What FWD lacks is the weight distribution between front and rear.

"What FWD lacks..."

But with "even" weight distribution the FWD "advantage" disappears, do it not...??

But even if the minor weight advantage, <5% typically, does go in the favor of FWD for "driving" forces what happens when a significant level of that front traction needs to be, SHOULD BE, allocated to lateral use, directional control....??

I think that would be called not going where you wanted to go....

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
But even if the minor weight advantage, <5% typically, does go in the favor of FWD for "driving" forces what happens when a significant level of that front traction needs to be, SHOULD BE, allocated to lateral use, directional control....??

I think that would be called not going where you wanted to go....
Well, I've been driving FWD for about 20 years now, in all sorts of conditions, and I have not had any control problems. Like any technology, one has to use it correctly.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Toyota's "crown",.... Lexus, is mostly RWD.
From what I understood this is done on luxury vehicles and sports cars NOT for traction on ice... but to prevent torque steer when you FLOOR IT! Its for racing around curves at high speeds and tearing off from intersections so you can show off the HIGH speed handling and acceleration of your car that is "high performance".

I don't think I've ever heard anyone at those companies claim they did it for ICE or Snow. I don't floor it on ice and I don't accelerate heavily either. I suspect thats why I've never ended up in the ditch when driving in the snow and have never encountered torque steer issues in snowy conditions.

On the contrary... most of those same rear wheel high-performance vehicles tend to fishtail themselves like mad every time you try to move forward or climb a small hill from a stop. My brother won't even drive his camaro in the winter because he can't get it back in the driveway because of no weight over the tires AND admittedly low profile wide tires. On the other hand his FWD VW Golf does fine.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
From what I understood this is done on luxury vehicles and sports cars NOT for traction on ice... but to prevent torque steer when you FLOOR IT! Its for racing around curves at high speeds and tearing off from intersections so you can show off the HIGH speed handling and acceleration of your car that is "high performance".

I don't think I've ever heard anyone at those companies claim they did it for ICE or Snow.

I don't floor it on ice and I don't accelerate heavily either. I suspect thats why I've never ended up in the ditch when driving in the snow and have never encountered torque steer issues in snowy conditions.

"I" don't floor it on ice and "I" don't accelerate heavily either.

Nice to know that the entire automotive industry builds all their cars to only your driving standards.

On the contrary... most of those same rear wheel high-performance vehicles tend to fishtail themselves like mad every time you try to move forward or climb a small hill from a stop.

Why is it that "you" can know not to floor it nor accelerate heavily and yet you assume that most or any drivers of RWD wouldn't exhibit the same knowledge...?

My brother won't even drive his camaro in the winter because he can't get it back in the driveway because of no weight over the tires AND admittedly low profile wide tires. On the other hand his FWD VW Golf does fine.
And by the way, torque stear, like driveline "windup/binding" in a 4WD/4X4, does not exhibit as stearing wheel feedback on a low traction surface.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not getting into the middle of this pissing contest.

All I will say is my Mariner Hybrid AWD is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. I live in Cleveland, so I know a bit about the subject. I have never felt unsafe. I love this car, and I hope it lasts a very long time. If the NYC Escape Hybrids are any indication, I will have this car when it hits 200,000 miles and it will still drive well.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM

I just don't think all FWD cars are deathtraps on ice.... period. EVERYTHING is dangerous on ICE and driving responsibly is the most important issue.

At this point... I've said my piece and I'm done. Not much point in continuing the argument at this point. I have my view and he has his.

Quick Reply: 4wd

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands