4WD Lockup/Disable

Old 12-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4WD Lockup/Disable

Ah... yeah... still whatever is going on is kicking my behind...
My take on the lube level is that it was still high enough to keep the gears lubed.
More to follow...

Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I think your gears are ok, they just may be a little more hardened now lol

Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you ever get a chance to hit the rear end with a temp gun?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Glad I read this one. My 06 MMH with 283k miles was meticulously cared for by the previous (original) owner and serviced at the dealer but the rear end is something that could be overlooked. I will be sure and check mine asap.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

The rear end fluid level is important to check, and change, as is the transfer case level and fluid change, both should be done regularly, they're very low capacity systems.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
The rear end fluid level is important to check, and change, as is the transfer case level and fluid change, both should be done regularly, they're very low capacity systems.
I might be wrong but I think both are lifetime lubes and doesn't get used up, the only loss is if it leaks.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

The powertrain warranty is 60k miles. Coincidentally that's the change interval for those fluids typically. If you only want your vehicle to last for the warranty period by all means don't change it. No fluid is really good over 100k, not even 150k mile antifreeze since you're typically well over 5 years.

Even the transmission fluid should be changed, it's not "sealed" it just doesn't have a dipstick, it's a drain and fill to level hole just like on a transfer case. I changed mine and it was dark and some metal came out, not stuff I want to keep inside there indefinitely.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:35 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
The powertrain warranty is 60k miles. Coincidentally that's the change interval for those fluids typically. If you only want your vehicle to last for the warranty period by all means don't change it. No fluid is really good over 100k, not even 150k mile antifreeze since you're typically well over 5 years.

Even the transmission fluid should be changed, it's not "sealed" it just doesn't have a dipstick, it's a drain and fill to level hole just like on a transfer case. I changed mine and it was dark and some metal came out, not stuff I want to keep inside there indefinitely.
Read your "Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide" pertaining to the rear axle lube.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Ive never trusted the " lifetime lubes " thing. Just ask the guys on the Jaguar forums about the sealed for life transfer cases on the X-Type.

trust, but verify

Old 12-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Slate
Ive never trusted the " lifetime lubes " thing. Just ask the guys on the Jaguar forums about the sealed for life transfer cases on the X-Type.

trust, but verify
Apples to Oranges.

No surprises from this forum that thinks inflating tires to 60psi when they marked 45psi, exceed GVR with loads and exceed towing limits are just fine.

Last edited by wptski; 12-13-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4WD Lockup/Disable

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands