5000 Mile Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM
prg
Enthusiast
Default 5000 Mile Trip

Just completed a round trip, San Diego to Pensacola, plus some other driving around. 09 FEH 2wd, took the odometer from 5,000 to 10,000. Driver only and heavily loaded going, driver plus passenger and small load returning. FEH was great, except the front end seems to attract smashed bugs.

Round trip mileage averaged about 30 mpg calculated, which corresponds well to calibrated SG II. Maintained 70-80 mph for most of the trip (speed limit 80 in most of Texas, 75 in Arizona and New Mexico). AC on fair amount of the time, also driver window down much of the time when AC was off. Not exactly hypermileing (? sp.).

Upgraded SG II performed well. Noted that sometimes under very heavy load it sometimes read 9999 mpg, usually around 4000 rpm (I am sure the ICE was on and burning fuel). MPG dropped to around 27 at 80 mph. Returning west through Texas, 30-40 mph headwind killed mileage to 20-22 mpg. Through some long stretches with VERY strong crosswind it seemed like steering compensated as releasing steering wheel maintained straight line travel.

The vehicle seemed to home in well on rest stops, consistent with my age. First real trip with the FEH, very comfortable for driver and passenger. No problems, very satisfied. Performed well, very acceptable mileage.

I average 32-34 mpg in my usual driving around San Diego. I dropped the idea of trying to hypermile before I left as I would probably still be on the road and my son (Marine Corps pilot) would have laughed me to death. I was not pulling a 3000 lb. trailer.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 5000 Mile Trip

Originally Posted by prg
Just completed a round trip, San Diego to Pensacola, plus some other driving around. 09 FEH 2wd, took the odometer from 5,000 to 10,000. Driver only and heavily loaded going, driver plus passenger and small load returning. FEH was great, except the front end seems to attract smashed bugs.

Round trip mileage averaged about 30 mpg calculated, which corresponds well to calibrated SG II. Maintained 70-80 mph for most of the trip (speed limit 80 in most of Texas, 75 in Arizona and New Mexico). AC on fair amount of the time, also driver window down much of the time when AC was off. Not exactly hypermileing (? sp.).

Upgraded SG II performed well. Noted that sometimes under very heavy load it sometimes read 9999 mpg, usually around 4000 rpm (I am sure the ICE was on and burning fuel). MPG dropped to around 27 at 80 mph. Returning west through Texas, 30-40 mph headwind killed mileage to 20-22 mpg. Through some long stretches with VERY strong crosswind it seemed like steering compensated as releasing steering wheel maintained straight line travel.

The vehicle seemed to home in well on rest stops, consistent with my age. First real trip with the FEH, very comfortable for driver and passenger. No problems, very satisfied. Performed well, very acceptable mileage.

I average 32-34 mpg in my usual driving around San Diego. I dropped the idea of trying to hypermile before I left as I would probably still be on the road and my son (Marine Corps pilot) would have laughed me to death. I was not pulling a 3000 lb. trailer.
Great report! Good mileage.

Mark

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: 5000 Mile Trip

You have a setting on the ScanGauge for "fuel cut".
This is really an assumption made by the SG and is not actually measured.
You were getting 9999 MPG in error any time your car went into "open loop" which occurs at wide open throttle, and in fuel cut mode.

There is a setting in the SG to raise or lower the threshold for 'assuming' fuel cut mode. I think you need to lower this number.

Nice to hear the steering compensation is working well in the 2009's.

We don't have that in the 2005's and I could sure use it!