Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Abs light, codes. Bad hcu?? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/abs-light-codes-bad-hcu-31645/)

08hybridok 08-07-2018 06:29 AM

Abs light, codes. Bad hcu??

So yesterday I got abs & brake lights, Regen disabled and check brake system messages on the dash.
i drove it 5mi home, it was slower to stop than normal but stopped when I needed it to.

Getting codes c1478/1480

Think it's the hcu?
If so cheaper alternative to Ford?

Tone rings seem in tact, don't see any leaks, mastercylinder is full.

08hybridok 08-07-2018 05:16 PM

Re: Abs light, codes. Bad hcu??

$700 brake lines =(

tommyball 08-08-2018 08:25 AM

Have you had any brake work done? I only started having HCU noise after I had my brake pads replaced. It's only been about a month, but after having the brake fluid flushed (a recommendation on a thread here), things have been fine.

08hybridok 08-08-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by tommyball (Post 266149)
Have you had any brake work done? I only started having HCU noise after I had my brake pads replaced. It's only been about a month, but after having the brake fluid flushed (a recommendation on a thread here), things have been fine.

I changed the rear pads many months ago.

Going to try the procedure on here for grounds (if I can find them) and the bleeding.

econoline 08-08-2018 12:06 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post265925
Have you reviewed this post?

08hybridok 08-08-2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 266151)

I've read so much in the last couple of days not sure.
I'm going to try the grounds first.

I was able to drive home from dealer with no issues or lights. Haven't tried driving it since.
Maybe the reset the abs module?

I'll need to read more on how to use forscan to clear it too.

egon10psi 08-08-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok (Post 266152)
I've read so much in the last couple of days not sure.
I'm going to try the grounds first.

I was able to drive home from dealer with no issues or lights. Haven't tried driving it since.
Maybe the reset the abs module?

I'll need to read more on how to use forscan to clear it too.

Any luck? I am trying to figure out what I should so still. How were you able to reach all the grounds?? How did you clean them?

08hybridok 08-08-2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by egon10psi (Post 266153)
Any luck? I am trying to figure out what I should so still. How were you able to reach all the grounds?? How did you clean them?

IDK yet; just found 4 grounds, removed; sandpapered, sprayed contact cleaner on. cleaned batt terminals (didn't look bad at all).

The grounds I found: under the 12v batt easy to pull bat & reach it between tray & air filter) one on the firewall in front of steering wheel; 2 by washerfluid, 1 on top easy peasy, 1 at bottom of filler neck, not so easy peasy =(

haven't tried test run yet. started up, presed brake pedal, put in R & D, back into park. no lights yet (but I was also able to drive 10ish miles home from dealer w/no lights either.

next step is the confusing line flushing procedure. not sure I'm up for that; or quite understand the exact procedure yet.

LonnieU 08-08-2018 07:30 PM

Read this thread https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...es-help-31530/ ,especially the last page.

Diagrams show the grounds that have been identified by Ford in a Technical Bulletin as known culprits. These are the ground leads for the HCU itself. Your best friend is someone with a lift as they pretty much have to be done from underneath, less removing the entire HCU itself.

Good Luck!

egon10psi 08-13-2018 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok (Post 266154)
IDK yet; just found 4 grounds, removed; sandpapered, sprayed contact cleaner on. cleaned batt terminals (didn't look bad at all).

The grounds I found: under the 12v batt easy to pull bat & reach it between tray & air filter) one on the firewall in front of steering wheel; 2 by washerfluid, 1 on top easy peasy, 1 at bottom of filler neck, not so easy peasy =(

haven't tried test run yet. started up, presed brake pedal, put in R & D, back into park. no lights yet (but I was also able to drive 10ish miles home from dealer w/no lights either.

next step is the confusing line flushing procedure. not sure I'm up for that; or quite understand the exact procedure yet.

Any update?