Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   ABS Light on Regen Brakes Disabled with 3 codes, HELP! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/abs-light-regen-brakes-disabled-3-codes-help-31530/)

Tcbc3 04-20-2018 05:51 PM

ABS Light on Regen Brakes Disabled with 3 codes, HELP!

Advice greatly appreciated on what I should do. It takes extra time to brake, making it kind of dangerous because I cant stop right away.
Engine does not shut off abnormally, just the braking is delayedhttps://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...05633b1f45.jpgU0418
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...9e6e32b5b5.jpgC1478
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...263f46cb29.jpgU2023
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...fa5a281457.jpgdash view 2 messages:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...eb1a5940a8.jpg

Tcbc3 04-20-2018 06:01 PM

Re: ABS Light on Regen Brakes Disabled with 3 codes, HELP!

This is a 2008 FEH

Rex B 04-21-2018 06:01 AM

Looks like you need the infamous ABS module. Salvage yard.

Lois0697 04-22-2018 06:08 AM

Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin (#SSM-45870) about this issue, but no recall. In order for a recall to be generated for the FEH, we MUST file complaints with Ford Corporate 1-800-392-3673, NHTSA 1-888-327-4236 and the Federal Trade Commission 1-877-382-4357 to get ANY action. So, it's great to communicate here, but useless if this is where you stop. Ford is ignoring the issue, until NHTSA forces a recall, but that won't happen without the complaints. And I filed my complaint, so please don't wait, you could be the one that tips the recall. :) Hopefully, you will keep this forum informed of your journey and we can continue to share information that will be helpful to all of us.

Tcbc3 05-08-2018 10:54 PM

findings:
I built an expanded heat shield on the HCU- seems to work to a certain degree (no pun intended)
external temps above 85 will aggravate the HCU and will prevent it from cooling down at the speed it wants.

went to the dealer - was diagnosed with bad HCU, costing something like 5k ???

Conclusion:
Buying one off ebay and installing myself, having the dealer program it
or, buying one from my local pick a part if they have the appropriate vehicle parts

note: Ebay prices will range 350-700$ while salvage yard will charge me 60$ for the whole unit

Tcbc3 05-08-2018 10:55 PM

does anyone know if its okay to take a 2009 or 10 HCU for my 2008 FEH????

Rex B 05-09-2018 05:59 AM

I can't answer that question, except to suggest you compare the numbers on each.
Find a salvage yard and ask them. They have that information.

Here's a thought from another forum: "The control module can be separated from the HCU so it may be possible to reuse the original control module on a used HCU. "

Apparently the control module is the part that is VIN-specific.

Lois0697 05-09-2018 03:18 PM

Wondering if you tried cleaning and reconnecting the grounds to the ABS sensors as suggested by two members on the "brakes broke the bank" thread? Both of them believed this was more often than not the problem. Ford dealership re secured my grounds, it's been one month tomorrow, not a glimpse of any problem. Huge thank you to both of them. :) May want to give it a try before proceeding.

D-mac 05-12-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tcbc3 (Post 265398)
does anyone know if its okay to take a 2009 or 10 HCU for my 2008 FEH????

The '08 has a different hybrid drivetrain and braking system than the 09-12. For example, later models had an anti-rollover system built in to the brakes that I believe Ford called Electronic Stability Control.

Tcbc3 06-01-2018 12:51 PM

which parts should i clean in the diagram
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...11cb9884f0.png

Lois0697 06-01-2018 05:55 PM

I am not qualified to answer your question, but here are copies of the two posts that I shared with a Ford dealership mechanic: Btw, haven't had one problem in nearly two months. Very grateful to both of them, smarter than dealership.
1) Originally Posted by Hackman https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/i...s/viewpost.gif
I had the problem of no brakes. Cleaned all the ground connections from battery to the frame. I have had no problems in the last 2 years. 1 under the battery 1 behind the front wheel and 1 on passenger side firewall.
Has anyone else tried my solution? I had the car for three years after the fix and had no issues. I think when a new hcu is installed, a secure ground connection is reestablished, that is why the replacement seems to work.
2) Originally Posted by Lordofrealms https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/i...s/viewpost.gif
All,

First a disclaimer, you accept all liability for any damage you cause directly or indirectly from following these instructions and they are provided for education purposes only. You will be working with your brake system and can cause it to fail and cause an accident. If you don't understand any part of this or do not feel qualified please do not contemplate doing this procedure.

Now that the legal disclosures are out of the way... I wanted to give some insight in to what I did to fix my brakes on my FEH that kept having the issue listed above and throwing error codes about control plausibility failure.

Essentially what is happening is the ABS module is detecting that it cannot properly apply the brakes to one or more wheels and then disabling that wheels brake and the one diagonal to it. Also, it may go into safe mode where it is not controlling the brakes using the brake by wire system at all and instead you have to manually brake at the bottom of the brake peddle.

Here is what I did to fix it:

1. First, I got a CANBUS bluetooth interface. It is like the ODB error readers you can borrow from AutoZone etc, but it interfaces with your computer. You can get one here for about 11 bucks:
That is the hardware that will plug into your car and allow you to interface with all the different computer modules that control your car. However, you will also need software on your computer to interface with that hardware. There is a free program called FORSCAN that will interface with that bluetooth module and allow you to read DTC (Digital Trouble Codes), reset them, and also reset the ABS module.

You can get FORSCAN here and its FREE: http://www.forscan.org/

As a temporary fix, you can reset the ABS module in FORSCAN and it will start working as normal again until it decides to mess up. I typically had to reset the module then when it says to turn the key off make sure you also remove the key and open the drive door. This tends to ensure that it fully resets. Then follow the rest of the on-screen prompts.

This however, is not permanent and as soon as it got hot in the engine compartment (usually from sitting still and running the AC) it would trigger the same error.

2. I did the solution posted above of cleaning the ground connections. I actually, couldn't locate the one in the driver wheel area so I just did the other two. I used some sandpaper when I cleaned them so I removed all the dirt and gunk and also scrapped up the paint to ensure good contact. Then put the ground connectors back on. I don't know if that in itself was enough to fix my problem, but it could have been.

3. I think this was ultimately the solution for my particular case. My brake fluid had never been flushed/changed and I had 140000 miles. I flushed the brake fluid until I got perfectly clear fluid coming out. I didn't have anything to remove the fluid from the reservoir so I just got three large containers of DOT3 brake fluid and kept flushing until it came out clear.

Here is the process for that and unfortunately since this is a hybrid with a brake by wire system, and an all electric system, it is a little different and there are some important things to consider.

The way the brake by wire system works there is an electric pump that builds brake pressure into an accumulator (a place where a small amount of high pressure brake fluid is stored to be used via the electronically controlled valves in the ABS module).

If you completely empty this accumulator there is a chance you will be unable to get it to fill it back up without special tools. Therefore, ensure you understand this process before you begin.

There is also an intermediate problem before you completely empty the accumulator where you can trip a pump failure detection on the ABS module, if that occurs you can clear it by an ABS module reset and resume bleeding the brakes.

I did this as a 2 person job. One person attached some 1/4 tubing to the brake bleed valve nipple then ran it to a funnel and held it. The other person with the key on inside the vehicle would depress the brake peddle about halfway.

IMPORTANT: As soon as you hear the brake pump kick on you need to IMMEDIATELY stop and let off the brake. Again, if you keep going once that pump kicks on you will either trigger the pump failure or worst case empty the accumulator.

Wait until the pump kicks off then repeat the process. You should be pushing substantial amounts of fluid out each press. After 5 or so cycles of this you will need to stop and refill the reservoir.

IMPORTANT: Again, if it goes completely empty, you will likely both get air in the system and possibly empty the accumulator. Both of which are very bad things so its worth it to refill the reservoir more often than needed.

Continue repeating this cycle until the fluid you get out of the bleed valve is completely clear and not urine colored (or brown if this hasn't been done in a very long time). You will want to start with the driver rear wheel then the passenger rear wheel then the driver front wheel then the passenger front wheel. Whenever you finish with a wheel you will want to close the bleed valve in the middle of ejecting fluid from it so that the system is completely air free.

I used about two bottles of fluid before I finished with the first wheel. Then since I had flushed the reservoir and most of the lines doing that wheel, the other wheels took maybe 2 5 pump cycles and they were done. It took maybe an hour to do the first wheel and 30 minutes to do the other three.

You will likely have to jack up the vehicle and remove the wheel to get to the bleed valve. It can be done without doing so, but it makes it a lot easier.

Once you have bled the valves on all the tires then you just need to do an ABS module reset with step 1 and then road test it to ensure you didn't get any air in the brakes.

I hope this helps someone who gets this problem in the future. If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks!

Rex B 06-02-2018 05:25 AM

Lois0697, that is a very helpful post. I need to do this. Thank you for taking the time to share the details.

LonnieU 06-02-2018 06:49 PM

Here is a link to a Ford TSB that shows where the grounds are.

It also shows a Service Kit that was made to improve the grounds to the HCU. These grounds are under the HCU.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech...a-ford-hybrid/

I was having similar issues and codes. I purchased the kit and installed it and been running about 3 months in the summer heat and so far so good. Cleaning the grounds may have been enough. My grounds were corroded. I think the kit was around $30 from a dealer.

Good Luck!

Lois0697 06-02-2018 07:46 PM

Your welcome, these folks helped me and I want to pay it forward.

Lois0697 06-02-2018 07:49 PM

Thank you for this information as well.

Tcbc3 06-08-2018 10:19 PM

I have scrubbed all of the grounds in the car, most importantly the one to the HCU.....and after a week, still no ABS light or issues.

On the other hand, there is still the HCU noise on startup that sounds like a something is grinding.... Not sure what to do about that,

The important part is that my 08 FEH is safe to drive again.

If anyone has suggestions on what that popping sound is on startup let me know

Lois0697 06-09-2018 04:49 AM

Great news!

tommyball 06-22-2018 01:03 PM

Does anyone have any (or links to any) photos or videos showing where the ground locations that should be cleaned are? I've been having a tough time finding them and making sense of the diagrams in the Brake and Front End link. Are they all in the general area of the ABS here...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...ccd2287019.jpg

My 2008 FEH has been making the HCU noise on startup intermittently and with a HV battery that's also acting up, I'm trying to avoid any costly repairs.

Thank you!

Lois0697 06-22-2018 03:42 PM

LonnieU posted this above: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech...a-ford-hybrid/

tommyball 06-22-2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lois0697 (Post 265677)

I did see that link, but I'm embarrassed to say I can't really see the ground points as shown in the first and fourth diagrams when I look at my car (o8 FEH). Are both under/behind/around the ABS/HCU assembly near the passenger side?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...d3d6d2399b.png

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...bdc47db6cd.png

Thank you!

Lois0697 06-22-2018 04:10 PM

Hopefully, someone who actually performed the task them self will chime in. You probably have seen this already but just in case you didn't, it may help. 1) Originally Posted by Hackman https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/i...s/viewpost.gif
I had the problem of no brakes. Cleaned all the ground connections from battery to the frame. I have had no problems in the last 2 years. 1 under the battery 1 behind the front wheel and 1 on passenger side firewall.
Has anyone else tried my solution? I had the car for three years after the fix and had no issues. I think when a new hcu is installed, a secure ground connection is reestablished, that is why the replacement seems to work.

Good luck!

LonnieU 06-22-2018 05:55 PM

Mine is a 2008 also and I gather from the PDF that the 05-07 grounds may be in slightly different locations?.

The ground wires are on the right frame rail of the body as the PDF suggests - Top Picture. There are stud-post bolts that are attached to the rail. The HCU bracket mounts with these studs and nuts are then fastened. Then the two original ground wires are attached and another set of nuts fastened. I thought I had taken some pictures, but I cannot find them.

Problem is that both must really be done from underneath the vehicle. If you lean over the engine and look straight down under the black cylindrical body off the HCU (the pump motor), you should see the top ground wire. Might be able to finesse from above, but I doubt it. The bottom ground is about 6 inches lower and about 6 inches back towards the firewall.

I replaced the grounds with the kit I mentioned in a post above. I think it also had some teethed washers to help "bite" the metal on the washers and nuts.

If you don't have a way to do it yourself, I think you could take it to about any garage with a lift and a mechanic should be able to see and clean them. It shouldn't take more than an hour shop time in my opinion.

Good Luck!

LonnieU 06-23-2018 09:01 PM

This shows the entire HCU mounting. The ground wires are items 13. I thought the studs were mounted in the rail, but they are actually bolts with another threaded extension to accept the ground wires.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...19aede3f52.png

tommyball 07-11-2018 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies on the grounds!!!

My 2008 (126K) has been making the HCU noise periodically (including one 'check brake system' notice) over the past few months (I had the rear pads replaced at a Ford Quicklane in December), and I am considering a flush/bleed as a preventative measure. So is a bleed/flush something that should be done after brake pad replacement? Also, does this have to be done at a dealership as the manual implies?

Thanks!

LonnieU 07-11-2018 05:59 PM

If the hydraulic brake system was not "opened" to allow any air in, I wouldn't think you would need to bleed the system. But if the fluid has never been changed, it's more than passed time to do it.

Doesn't have to be done by a dealership.

Lois0697's post #12 in this same thread is a "electronic" way to do it.

I have done it with a pump up pressure bleeder at around 20 PSI and the battery unhooked.

I have the Ford Service manual for the 2008 year and the official procedure is a combination of their ETIS service computer with a pressure bleeder.

Lois0697 09-02-2018 08:33 PM

Hey LonnieU, wondering if you or anyone had experience with code 1187? I just had the ABS Lock Controller harness replaced, cleared all the other codes but popped up with 1187. One other observation, the car is going into EV mode more frequently since the change. I have no idea why, any thoughts?

Regards,
Lois

LonnieU 09-03-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lois0697 (Post 266284)
Hey LonnieU, wondering if you or anyone had experience with code 1187? I just had the ABS Lock Controller harness replaced, cleared all the dead HCU indicators but popped up with 1187. One other observation, the car is going into EV mode more frequently since the change. I have no idea why, any thoughts?

Regards,
Lois

Lois,

From the Service Manual, this is a "Brake Fluid Level Sensor Input Open Circuit" fault. I have attached a Dropbox link to download a zip file of the pages in question at the bottom of this post. Zip file was to big to attach.

It would sound as if the installation of the wiring harness has a open connection to this fluid level switch. The switch is located inside the Master Cylinder reservoir and not individually replaceable (Got to Love it!). If you look at the last scanned page, it is the schematic of the switch to the Brake Control Module. There are resisters in parallel with the switch contacts so the BCM always gets some voltage level back.

There appears to be a plug for this switch on the side of the reservoir, C124. This could have come unplugged during the change out and would cause this code.

If you can unplug this connection and read the resistance of the switch and you should get 1200, 2700 or 4200 ohms if its working and depending on the levels detected. If all looks good there, one of the connections is not making it back to the BCM on pins 3 & 28.

The scanned pages detail the troubleshooting procedure.

Good Luck!

Scanned Pages Zip File

Lois0697 09-03-2018 12:37 PM

Thanks Lonnie, forwarded to my mechanic. I know there is nothing unplugged. However, I'm wondering is it possible the new harness (defective) is causing this, it's an after market part. Should I consider getting a used Ford part, Ford won't sell separate from the entire harness anymore, entire harness approx. $2000. Also, is this dangerous to drive in this condition? Everything appears to be working fine. So appreciate your assistance!

LonnieU 09-03-2018 01:50 PM

Lois,

I think if the ECU was not "happy" for the vehicle to drive, you would get the "Stop Safely Now".

The DTC Code is reporting a failure of the Reservoir Level Switch, not that it's Full or Empty. So long as it's full !!

The SSN above should go active on loss of main brake pressure if it was low or empty...

I would have your mechanic should see if they can find the Blue/Brown wire and the Green wire in the harness as shown on the schematic. Then follow the troubleshooting procedure. It could just be a bent pin that didn't make up on the plug/socket connection. Only after that would you might want to go looking for a used OEM part.

IIRC, all the models up to 2008 used the same/similar wiring harness. 2009 and after went back to a "conventional" brake system and the HCU unit is gone. It has an electric pump to provide a Vacuum since there are time the ICE won't be running. I looked for a 2009 and above AWD in my area before I got my 2008. Should have looked harder :)

Again, Good Luck!

Lois0697 09-03-2018 02:17 PM

That made me laugh! Granted, had I known then what I know now, I would have went for 2012 non hybrid but I haven't lost hope...yet. In regards to brake fluid level, it is full and I have no problem doing a manual check if that was the only possible hiccup. These cars have so many twists and turns, I wanted to hear it from someone more knowledgeable than I am. So appreciate your prompt response and wisdom. :)

elborak 09-04-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by LonnieU (Post 266289)
I looked for a 2009 and above AWD in my area before I got my 2008. Should have looked harder :)

There's always a trade-off. You would have indeed gotten the upgraded brakes with the 2009, but you avoided the problematic (albeit gas saving) EPAS. I say this as a 2009 owner who got to spend part of his Labor Day weekend replacing his lower steering column...

LonnieU 09-05-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by elborak (Post 266306)
There's always a trade-off. You would have indeed gotten the upgraded brakes with the 2009, but you avoided the problematic (albeit gas saving) EPAS. I say this as a 2009 owner who got to spend part of his Labor Day weekend replacing his lower steering column...

Now you made me laugh... With you, not at you.

Someone said "The reason the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is that your not over there walking on it".

I purchased the 2008 AWD Mariner last year. I get about 30 MPG in the summertime. I live in an area that is in/around mountains. Not well suited for a hybrid. I used to have a 2001 Ford Escape and just loved the body style and size. After "donating" it to one of my kids, I picked up a 2001 VW TDI Sedan 4 speed, put 360,000 miles on it, and never got less than 48 MPG! Sold the diesel VW a couple of months ago.

While I do enjoy the 2008 body style and make as explained above. should be kicked for selling the VW. That model (A4) was and still is in high demand as it has a very proven power-train that didn't have the "special" modifications VW has now paid billions of dollars for...

Javiercity 06-25-2019 05:55 AM

Hello, can you please either reply or post an update, if cleaning the grounds worked for you and OR if you ended up changing the ABS module? please I am having same problems with my mariner '08 PLEASE HELP!!!

Lois0697 06-25-2019 06:45 AM

There is a thread in here called, "The brakes broke the bank", I believe this is the one with the ground cleaning instructions. However, my ABS problem turned out to be the front brake hoses were collapsing causing every problem I had. Two Ford stealerships wouldn't tell me this, but Big O found it in 15 minutes. Had the lines replaced and the fluid flushed, worked like a charm. Also, I would NEVER put a new ABS on this car, $5800 and VIN specific. Check the brake lines and the tone rings first.

Javiercity 06-25-2019 07:35 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...e010902564.jpg

Lois0697 06-25-2019 09:30 AM

What are your codes? Mine were 1478, 1480, 2023. Just know if my codes are present, Ford is going to recommend a potentially unnecessary ABS...because their book says so. And then sell you brake lines after the ABS install because the codes aren't staying cleared. Good luck!

Javiercity 06-25-2019 01:31 PM

I've noticed that if i press the brake just a bit the module humms like building pressure, so i kept switching on/off the ignition, and some times the Abs light and Check the Brakes system goes away, finally i got the codes
c1480 c1478 c 1313 c1479 c1481 c1311 c 1328 u 2023 two days ago also had the u2026 c1479 and the Regen brake Diable on the display but erased w scanner, so im hopeful that the whole ABS module is not failing, i mean what are the chances that Every wheel sensor fails i think more like the Voltage in the module is variations is going heywire and the module does not know what the heck is going on,

Tcbc3 06-25-2019 02:29 PM

I sold the car, I tried everything that these posts recommended
Ford said I needed to replace the HCU for $5000

Lois0697 06-25-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tcbc3 (Post 268291)
I sold the car, I tried everything that these posts recommended
Ford said I needed to replace the HCU for $5000

I remember that, I had contacted you about the heat shield. We were going through this at the same time, you had sold by the time one member came up with the front brake lines. Such a beautiful moment, the brake lines and flush resolved everything. Had that not fixed it, I would have been reduced to scrapping it.

Lois0697 06-25-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Javiercity (Post 268290)
I've noticed that if i press the brake just a bit the module humms like building pressure, so i kept switching on/off the ignition, and some times the Abs light and Check the Brakes system goes away, finally i got the codes
c1480 c1478 c 1313 c1479 c1481 c1311 c 1328 u 2023 two days ago also had the u2026 c1479 and the Regen brake Diable on the display but erased w scanner, so im hopeful that the whole ABS module is not failing, i mean what are the chances that Every wheel sensor fails i think more like the Voltage in the module is variations is going heywire and the module does not know what the heck is going on,

At the end of my journey (when I was having it towed all over town), mine was throwing additional codes representative of all wheels too. The front brake lines were collapsing and sticking, more so when hot, not allowing fluid to pass. It was the last thing I tried before preparing to making it scrap.