AC not cooling / Wrench light issue

Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC not cooling / Wrench light issue

The AC on my 2008 FEH (65K miles) isn't cooling at all and might even be blowing warm air. I believe the AC worked fine last summer. Also, the wrench light has just started to come on periodically.

I'm basically clueless as to all things automotive--and unfortunately, based on prior experience, my local Ford dealer cannot be trusted. My usual mechanic is great, but doesn't have a lot of experience with hybrids.

I'm hoping to narrow down the problem before I take it in for service to the dealer or my usual mechanic.

Regarding the wrench light, I understand it's common for the rear blend door actuator to go bad (or for the filter to be overly dirty). But folks with the wrench light problem don't usually also complain about a lack of AC in the cabin, so maybe it's one or both of the two actuators up front that has gone bad? (FWIW, the rear blend door filter was recently replaced and looks fine.)

Then again, for all I know, maybe all the freon leaked out.

Can anyone recommend some really simple diagnostic steps to help narrow this down?

Many thanks.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: AC not cooling / Wrench light issue

Bruce, you don't have to be a hybrid mechanic to fix the AC. You can find a trustworthy mechanic on the Car Talk Mechanics file website and get the AC fixed. Have the mechanic pull the codes from the computer and Google those codes to find a likely problem. Fixing the AC alone may be enough. A common problem is a pinhole leak in the rear AC line.

http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, travelover. I guessed actuators b/c of the wrench light, but in light of the fact that the A/C isn't generally working, I bet you're right to suggest a more general examination of the A/C system.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Feral Engineer

You really need the AC to function to keep the batteries cool.