Accelerating in Electric Mode

Old 04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Accelerating in Electric Mode

I just bought my new FWD Escape this weekend. I am having trouble accelerating and keeping the car in the battery mode. Just a slight touch on the pedal causes the car to go to 2 RPM. Often, I cannot even drive 10 or 20 mph with it not going to gas. Does anyone know if the pedal can be adjusted? Is this normal? I am in Florida so cold or hot weather should not be a factor.

Also, is it recommended to start the car (mine immediately goes into gas) and let it shut down to electric before starting to drive it?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accelerating in Electric Mode

Brynne,

First, congratulations! Second, don't worry. Your vehicle is still new and needs to go through a break in period that conditions the battery (among other things). You will soon notice the ability to drive in EV mode for longer periods and at increasingly higher speeds... 20-25 mph is where the ICE will want to kick in, but I'm already able to accelerate up to 30 mph in EV and I've got less than 1000 miles on mine. You'll also find that you can 'maintain' speed in EV mode at higher speeds, such as when decelerating from highway speed and the ICE shuts off around 40-45 mph. I can often hold at 40 mph without the ICE coming on, though can't increase speed.

There are lots of variables that determine how the FEH behaves, but you'll soon get to know them well the more you drive it. But don't worry, there's nothing wrong, what you're experiencing is normal.

When you start the FEH it will almost always start the ICE (unless you've been driving it and just stop for a minute or so), because the engine needs to get up to operating temperature. There are various reasons for this, but it's mostly because the catalytic converter needs to reach operating temperature to work properly at reducing emissions, and the engine needs to be warmed up so it can safely turn on/off so often.

If you read through these message boards more, you'll find a wealth of info. There's another quite active group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hybrid_ford_escape/ .

Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Don't be so sure things will get better. We have 3500 miles on our FEH and still can't get above 5 mph without the ICE kicking in, no matter how slowly we accellerate. We're getting about 22 mpg over all in 70% city/30% hwy driving.

We've taken our FEH into the dealer 3 times and every time they tell us nothing is wrong. But obviously, if we're barely getting 50% of the posted mileage, something is wrong.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by copyboy1
Don't be so sure things will get better. We have 3500 miles on our FEH and still can't get above 5 mph without the ICE kicking in, no matter how slowly we accellerate. We're getting about 22 mpg over all in 70% city/30% hwy driving.
We've taken our FEH into the dealer 3 times and every time they tell us nothing is wrong. But obviously, if we're barely getting 50% of the posted mileage, something is wrong.
Three times is usually the cutoff for "lemon law" actions. Maybe you should consider that. It's a good way to address a problem that the dealer cannot diagnose. It's obviously a problem, and you are not getting what you paid for. I would consider that option were I in your shoes....Good luck....

Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Exclamation Re: Accelerating in Electric Mode

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Three times is usually the cutoff for "lemon law" actions. Maybe you should consider that. It's a good way to address a problem that the dealer cannot diagnose. It's obviously a problem, and you are not getting what you paid for. I would consider that option were I in your shoes....Good luck....
I agree. I can't imagine getting 22mpg unless I floored it at every stoplight. Something is obviously wrong. I would consider getting legal advice (lemon law). There are enough FEHs on the market to compare to court--everyone else seems to be getting 25mpg+(up to the low 30s). I would think you have a decent case.

I smell lemons. Good luck.

Nate Green

Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Happy Owner

It's taken us some time to learn how to slowly accelerate to stay in "stealth mode" as we refer to it. From a dead stop, I too find 5 mph is the magic number, BUT, if I'm able to coast and get the engine to shut down, I can lightly feather the gas to resume movement and speed and have seen an increase from 20mph to 35 before the engine comes back on (in just 6 weeks).

Patience and practice is all I can suggest, but mostly, congrats on your purchase.

C&J the prirates

Old 04-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

In order to stay in EV you must monitor the Charge level going in. I have stayed in EV up to 15 minutes and 6 miles with a gentle up and down hilly closed course (Griffith Park, LA). Normally I do up to 4 miles but then pay back with low mileage during the recharge.

The smartest way is to use up the charge on uphill and then use downhills and coasting to recharge.

I know I am not average but I have not had a tank under 30 MPG for the last 8,000 miles. I use a very light foot on gas, stay between 30-50 MPH, and accelerate as long as possible in EV. I can usually get into EV and stay in up to 40 MPH.

My advice is to not give up. Experiment. Observe patterns and redo those patterns that result in good mileage. If you have the Nav System reset often to find low and high mileage conditions. You will get best mileage with ambient temperatures 70-80 degrees and with shorter warmups. Mileage will not begin to kick up until you get the thing going 20 MPH Plus (this is written into the PCM). You will never get great mileage on trips less than 10 miles. The longer you can travel and sustain momentum the higher the mileage obtained.

Just my opinion.

Mike