Aero Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Default Aero Mod

I'm thinking about a aero mod for my '09 FEH that is used on my '11 Explorer. Ford join Lexus and BMW SUV's with a rear extension of the roof past the rear window tailgate. It seems to reduce the rear wind drag or suction on the Explorer and increases MPG.

I can use a light weight wood and follow the designs of these rear spoilers and see if it reduces wind drag and increases MPG. It can be attached with silicone and not damage the paint or metal I think. Any thoughts?

GaryG

Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aero Mod

Seriously? It sounds a little crazy actually. Wouldn't it look kind of like a redneck spoiler?

I can just imagine Jeff Foxworthy saying it... You might be a redneck if you built a wooden aerodynamics package for your SUV.

Are you thinking of doing this just to try it and see if it works and then make something that doesn't make it look like a back woods SUV hack job? Sorry... I'm envisioning this chunk of plywood hanging off the back of your FEH and it's grossing me out. A fiberglass molded spoiler painted to match... That's more like it if there's something out there that would fit. Maybe you're an artist with wood? It would look like a hack job if I did it out of wood.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
Seriously? It sounds a little crazy actually. Wouldn't it look kind of like a redneck spoiler?

I can just imagine Jeff Foxworthy saying it... You might be a redneck if you built a wooden aerodynamics package for your SUV.

Are you thinking of doing this just to try it and see if it works and then make something that doesn't make it look like a back woods SUV hack job? Sorry... I'm envisioning this chunk of plywood hanging off the back of your FEH and it's grossing me out. A fiberglass molded spoiler painted to match... That's more like it if there's something out there that would fit. Maybe you're an artist with wood? It would look like a hack job if I did it out of wood.
I agree, it does sound like a redneck design, but you or no one else has gotten anywhere close to my lifetime MPG. You have very few post and no record here. I have a history of record MPG and you have none. Mater of fact, Ford did my design for a spoiler I designed for the '79 Pace Car Mustang in 1979. I made that out of wood also first! I'm on the cutting edge of improving MPG and longevity of vehicles, what are you offering?

GaryG

Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

I thought the squared off rear ends made for better fuel economy, which is why you only see the spoilers on vehicles like the RX and the new Explorer. The spoiler makes those vehicles more squared off. Squared off makes the wind wrap around and push the vehicle. That was always my understanding.

So I don't think that would help you at all.

I can tell how our 2011 Explorer slices through the wind so much better that my 09 FEH, but there's obviously more front end aerodynamics going on...

Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
I thought the squared off rear ends made for better fuel economy, which is why you only see the spoilers on vehicles like the RX and the new Explorer. The spoiler makes those vehicles more squared off. Squared off makes the wind wrap around and push the vehicle. That was always my understanding.

So I don't think that would help you at all.

I can tell how our 2011 Explorer slices through the wind so much better that my 09 FEH, but there's obviously more front end aerodynamics going on...
If you pay close attention to the new Ford fleet and other manufacture's vehicles, you'll see what I'm talking about. The wind can't push the vehicles, but less rear wind drag and smooth air flow is what's improving MPG. If your '09 FEH does not have factory side steps, it has the new rear wheel dampers in front of the rear tires. This is to direct air flow to decrease wind resistance to improve MPG. Take a look at the change between the '08 and '09 front spoilers. The '09 FEH spoilers cover the front tires better and increased MPG according to Ford. Both my new Explorer and new Focus have those rear dampers now. In fact, both those new vehicles have a new spoiler designs. Again, you have to look closer to the rear tail trunk spoiler on the Focus, but you can see how Ford is doing it. My Son has the SEL 4 door Coupe and it's there. http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36 Take a look at the new F-150 and notice the new tailgate flare.

Also, Ford did away with a separate rear window opening on the new Explorer like we have on our '09 FEH. This is where I see a problem designing a rear spoiler on my '09 FEH. The spoiler would prevent the rear window from being opened separately from the rear door. Take a look at my Explorer rear spoiler and also see how the widow is not square where they meet the spoiler: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36

I've noticed more and more new car designs addressing the same issues with air flow almost in the same ways. When I was filmed doing the BMW X6 Active Hybrid documentary, I pointed out to the reporter that the new BMW has the same rear tire dampers as my '09 FEH. I don't think Ford used those dampers before the '09 FEH. I was checking out the new F-150 with my salesman and ask if he knew why the new tailgate had a flare. He didn't, but I bet he is selling more F-150's pointing it out to new customers now.

GaryG

Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I agree, it does sound like a redneck design, but you or no one else has gotten anywhere close to my lifetime MPG. You have very few post and no record here. I have a history of record MPG and you have none. Mater of fact, Ford did my design for a spoiler I designed for the '79 Pace Car Mustang in 1979. I made that out of wood also first! I'm on the cutting edge of improving MPG and longevity of vehicles, what are you offering?

GaryG

Whoa... Where did that come from?

I wasn't questioning your intelligence or your credibility in any way...Too bad you haven't afforded me the same. What I have done is post a guide on how to replace the traction battery blend door actuator in my short time on this forum. So there you go. That is what I have offered and will continue to offer as I learn more about this vehicle. Suggestion - Instead of insulting/berating folks and bragging about all your accomplishments, maybe you could just continue the discussion? I really am interested and curious about what you're proposing. It seems feasible. How will you proceed? What would the construction actually look like? Will it just be a mock up to see how it works or will you try to make it look cool and paint it? Wood could be painted to match with no problem - I do body and paint work and it's very doable. I would even be willing to guide you through the painting process if that's something you haven't done before.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Whoa... Where did that come from?

I wasn't questioning your intelligence or your credibility in any way...Too bad you haven't afforded me the same. What I have done is post a guide on how to replace the traction battery blend door actuator in my short time on this forum. So there you go. That is what I have offered and will continue to offer as I learn more about this vehicle. Suggestion - Instead of insulting/berating folks and bragging about all your accomplishments, maybe you could just continue the discussion? I really am interested and curious about what you're proposing. It seems feasible. How will you proceed? What would the construction actually look like? Will it just be a mock up to see how it works or will you try to make it look cool and paint it? Wood could be painted to match with no problem - I do body and paint work and it's very doable. I would even be willing to guide you through the painting process if that's something you haven't done before.
Your post here was not like your first post, and I would have never responded in that manner had you started out like the end of this post with "I really am interested and curious....

If I didn't see a big improvement in MPG, I would not take the design any further. The wood design would be used to test, and then make a fiberglass mold and a continuous investment into the project if it should work great. I have made molds before of wood and formica. By waxing the formica and putting layers of gelcoat, then the fiberglass for the structure to pop out of the mold when hardened. The exterior gelcoat provides a very smooth surface that can be prepared to be painted.

An unpainted piece of plywood hanging from any vehicle was not what I had in mind or my suggestion. You should have ask more questions before calling my idea crazy and a redneck design.

GaryG

Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

My sense of humor doesn't come through very well in text... Sorry about that. It wasn't intended to make you out as a hack or a redneck but I can see how it would come across that way. I think everyone on this forum needs to relax a bit and laugh at themselves a little easier. If you can laugh at yourself you'll never be short on things to laugh at. Like I said... If I had to do it out of wood it would totally look like a hack job because I am not very good with wood. Metal I can do just about anything with. The fiberglass mold sounds like a good plan for this. I'm really intrigued by this. Air is a much more significant driver of inefficiency than most people realize. Hop on a bicycle into a 25MPH wind and it becomes painfully evident. Still (in humor) I just have to see this thing hanging off the back of your FEH! You have to try this and post pictures. I double dog dare you! :-)

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary. lower it. or... canards off the front. then longer wing with upsweep off the hatch top.i would make rear wing adjustable

Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Jerry - Glad you like your Passat but there's no way it will haul what the Escape will haul. I brought home a 6 foot roll of chain link fencing in mine today. I hauled a gas powered compactor in it a couple of weeks ago. With (optional) 4 wheel drive it climbs icy roads with ease with no studs or other traction aids. Different car, different purpose... And it gets over 30MPG consistently. Not to mention that while we're both stuck in traffic, you're burning gasoline and the hybrid is not (at idle). Do you come here to bash hybrids often?
Easy there Corey, Jerry has owned a FEH for years and has posted good information here on the FEH. I take his recommendations to me as serious. I may not agree, but that's all part of what this board is about.

Have a nice night and a good weekend.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Aero Mod

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands