After market NAV system - again

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default After market NAV system - again

There's alot of information about different GPS/DVD, yadda, yadda systems.
I was just curious which system you all think gives you the best bang for the buck.
I'm thinking about swapping out the stock NAV for a aftermarket one. Realtime GPS, CD (all - MP3, etc.), Bluetooth, iPod, AM/FM, maybe even a HDD is what I'm looking for.

thanks for the replies

Last edited by cathyth3; 03-25-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After market NAV system - again

You want a Garmin based navigational system that uses a hard drive-not DVD/CD disc based system.

I have a Kenwood DNX7100 system that I am very happy with. It can be utilized with all the bells and whistles. John Morton (poster) has an Eclipse system that he hightly values. Go find a post of his and you can see photos of his system and other modifications. John use to install car audio systems and he is quite handy to use as a reference.

If you get a scanguage II unit, you will replace most of your Ford hybrid displays.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Kenwood Excelon piece with the Garmin type nav and it works well. Bluetooth is not available but iPod controls are and they work OK, kind of slow. I have an upgraded audio system which sounds much better with an aftermarket source unit, and the Kenwood was chosen more for audio quality and features as opposed to nav and DVD features. The Pioneer AVIC's are priced very aggressively right now and you may want to look into those:

http://www.al-eds.com/product.php?pr...cat=280&page=1

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalRep
I have a Kenwood Excelon piece with the Garmin type nav and it works well. Bluetooth is not available but iPod controls are and they work OK, kind of slow. I have an upgraded audio system which sounds much better with an aftermarket source unit, and the Kenwood was chosen more for audio quality and features as opposed to nav and DVD features. The Pioneer AVIC's are priced very aggressively right now and you may want to look into those:

http://www.al-eds.com/product.php?

productid=16265&cat=280&page=1
John Morton has previously own a Pioneer unit and he swore at the thing because the navigation aspect of it was crap. You better get his input on this modification.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:55 AM
HEV's are your friend

I have actually been looking into a DNX8120 when it comes out from kenwood, however the price on that D-3 is pretty tempting!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

The entry level pioneers are pretty crappy, you get what you pay for but if you just really want nav they do work. The Kenwoods are kind of considered by the aftermarket 12v world to be the top nav/video stuff right now. In the near future (very near hopefully, it's already late) there will be some new stuff out... check out Azentek, in dash full computer...upgradeable nav, harddrive, OBDII hookup for code reading, dual core processing so you can do seperate tasks up front or in the rear if you setup a screen, card slot for a cellular wi-fi card etc etc, basically a full computer in your dash. When I went through it all I though the obdII reader was cool, but that was before I knew about the scangauge....not sure what can be worked out with the computer hooked up but I have a friend pretty high up in the company so I'm sure something can be arranged

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

I'm looking to remove the factory navigation system in my 2008 Mariner Hybrid to add a blue tooth kit, does anyone have some directions for completing this task?

thanks,
Brian

Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

The best bang for the buck is definitely a paper map

Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

if you succeed in swapping out the system - I might be interested in the old unit - I need one for my FEH

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by bstanton11
I'm looking to remove the factory navigation system in my 2008 Mariner Hybrid to add a blue tooth kit, does anyone have some directions for completing this task?
Has anyone ever found if the 08 NAV system has any aux phone inputs/controls? If it did, one could simply add a bluetooth adapter like one can do with the 05-07 NAV systems. That's what I did on my 07, and I am pretty happy with it.

Quick Reply: After market NAV system - again

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands