After Market Wheels And Tire Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default After Market Wheels And Tire Sensor

I've had my 06 (new) 4WD FEH for 2 weeks now. I don't like the look of the 16" mags, and have read a lot of bad reviews on the stock Continental tires. I installed custom 17" wheels with Goodyear Triple Tread tires (which had the highest rateing in class at Tire Rack). I also made sure they had the same diameter as the original Conti's so it would not throw the computer off.

Little did I know that the Low Tire Pressure warning light would come on, and then a message of "Tire Sensor Fault" would be displayed in my information center (I do not have the Navagation package), and you can not turn either off.

I then went to the local Ford dealer in Nashville, TN and they could not turn off the message, or have someone disconnect the warning. They said my only option was to buy a set (4) of sensors, demount my tires, install the sensors in my custom wheels, remount, rebalance tires and it would be OK.

I found that when I start up the FEH that I can press the info button and then the reset button and the light and message goes away. I will have to do the for ever if I every want to see my Average Gas Milleage figures again.

Who was the Moron who thought this mess up? I would have never bought a Ford if I knew I could not put on after market wheels.

Does anyone know of a work-around?
Other than that, I really like my FEH.
Thanks
Mike

Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After Market Wheels And Tire Sensor

1. The sensors are (I believe) mandated in all new vehicles. A little research about the vehicle (reading the manual) would have told you that this would be an issue. The warning light will even come on if you are using a spare as the factory spare has no sensor either.
2. What did you do with your old wheels? You probably could have removed the sensors and mounted them to your new wheels.
3. The Continental tires are LRR (low rolling resistance) tires. Using regular tires will reduce your fuel economy if that matters to you.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 PM

Who has your old rims? Were they used as a trade or something because they were worth a fair amount even if you didn't like them. The sensors are strapped around the rim and are pretty darn expensive, if you can get them back from wherever they went maybe you SHOULD be able to put them in the new rims I would think.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 PM

And I believe he is right. Its mandated for certain vehicles going forward... so Ford, GM, Toyota.... it isn't going to matter they are all going to scream in the future.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

I've only had the FEH 2 weeks, the original wheels with Conti Tires are stacked in the corner of the garage. I may have to put them back on. I could always move the new 17 inchers to my 95 Grand Cherokee. I guess if you have after market wheels, you get a reminder every time you start the FEH.
Mike

Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dialogue
I've only had the FEH 2 weeks, the original wheels with Conti Tires are stacked in the corner of the garage. I may have to put them back on. I could always move the new 17 inchers to my 95 Grand Cherokee. I guess if you have after market wheels, you get a reminder every time you start the FEH.
Mike
Well.... see if you can have someone dismount one of the tires and check the tire sensor. Its strapped around the rim. It may be movable to the new tire and then you can still have your new tires on the FEH.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dialogue
Mike
Some posters have suggested looking at the old rims ot see if the sensors are still there. I think they are simply strapped on along the inside of the rims. You may be able to take them off and put them on your new rims. That means taking the tires off the new rims, putting the sensors in and putting the tires back on again, but at least it will solve your problem.

This is good to know as I intend to put winter tires on my FEH, and I was debating getting dedicated rims to avoid the wear and tear of swapping tires on the rims. I know I'll take a hit on economy, but it takes a lot of energy to build a FEH and it all gets wasted if I end up rolling it in a ditch because I was using tires with the poorest grip known to mankind (Ford does not use them any more, correct?).

Regards,

rcomeau

Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

The tire pressure sensors are required by Federal regulation on vehicles manufactured after October of 2005. The sensors are strapped to the rim with a large hose clamp-like strap. I don't know how much play there is in the tightening mechanism, so you would have to measure the circumference of your aftermarket rims and compare it with the stock rim. The clamps cost about $55 from the dealer, and the sensors are another $60 (at least that's what I remember paying when I put a full-sized spare together). The sensors then have to be activated so the FEH knows they are there, unless you put them back on the same wheel. If you can deactivate the alarm by pressing the reset switch it may be a small price to pay, even if you have to do it each time you start the car.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
using tires with the poorest grip known to mankind (Ford does not use them any more, correct?).
Not sure which came first - Ford stopping the use of the Conti LRR tires so they quit making them or vice-versa. Either way, they are no longer available.

That said, I have gone through one full New England winter and half of another and never felt unsafe with the stock tires on my Escapes. Maybe some of that is my new and improved driving style but I've never lost control and never been stuck.

So, Mike, where are you located? I'd be more than happy to help you clean out your garage by taking those POS Conti's off your hands.