Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Air deflectors-good or bad for FE? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/air-deflectors-good-bad-fe-16609/)

nicst47 01-07-2008 07:20 AM

Air deflectors-good or bad for FE?

Are the window air deflectors considered goo or bad for FE?

gpsman1 01-07-2008 08:50 AM

Re: Air deflectors-good or bad for FE?

Anything that makes your car wider or taller is bad for Fuel Economy.
More so at higher speeds.

If you like them tho... go for it. Your MPG loss will probably be too small to notice, and will proably "cost" you 1 gallon extra per year... or less....
:D -John

nicst47 01-07-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 156835)
Anything that makes your car wider or taller is bad for Fuel Economy.
More so at higher speeds.

If you like them tho... go for it. Your MPG loss will probably be too small to notice, and will proably "cost" you 1 gallon extra per year... or less....
:D -John

For some strange reason, I thought they might actually help FE by blocking wind flow when the window is opened.:embarass:

econoline 01-07-2008 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nicst47 (Post 156824)
Are the window air deflectors considered goo or bad for FE?

I have them on my FEH, with no observable change in FE. I also removed the roof rack and installed the factory tracks, again no observable change to FE. Probably same with mudflaps, all these things do affect FE but not enough to be noticeable in normal street driving. However tire pressure does make a measurable change in FE.

nicst47 01-07-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 156857)
I have them on my FEH, with no observable change in FE. I also removed the roof rack and installed the factory tracks, again no observable change to FE. Probably same with mudflaps, all these things do affect FE but not enough to be noticeable in normal street driving. However tire pressure does make a measurable change in FE.

Thanks Don.