THE Air and Oil Filter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Cabin Air Filter

Originally Posted by mtberman
I put a cabin air filter (FP-66) in my 2008 the other day. Those with 2008 and newer models should note that the process documented here in this thread is for the previous generation and is not exactly the same for the Gen2 FEH. It's very similar, but there are some differences. Of note, the cowl can not be removed without removing the wipers. And, even if you were to remove the cowl, the air intake box is not fully accessible as it is partly covered by the firewall in the newer vehicles. Also, the FP-66 must be slightly deformed to fit in the box. It's "almost" the right size but not quite.
So what exactly is the procedure for a 2009? I ordered the FP-66 cabin air filter (that is the one listed in the owners manual) a couple of days ago and expect to get it in the mail any day now. I copied instructions from several different web sites but they all say to remove the caps off the screws, remove the screws, remove the plasic rivets on the cowl, and remove the cowl. I did notice that I don't have those screws on the 09. So did you remove the wipers and the cowl? To remove the cowl is it just the philips screws/plastic rivets on the front edge? And if the air intake box was still "not fully accessible" how did you get the filter in? Is there still a cover over the air box as described in the older models? Maybe I'm just making this harder than it really is but it doesn't seem quite as straight forward as the earlier models.

EDIT:

OK, I got the filter and figured it out

I didn't need to remove the windshield wiper arms, my wife assisted me by holding the cowl piece up and out of the way with the wipers still installed.

Here is how I installed the cabin air filter (Ford Motorcraft part # FP-66) on my 2009 FEH:

1. Raise hood.
2. Remove the 7 plastic clips that run along the forward edge of the cowl. Use a philips head screwdriver and push up in the middle from the bottom. Remove the screw and the clip.
3. Pry up the forward edge of the plastic cowl piece on the passenger side. Mine was stuck down with a sticky foam strip which remained attached to the plastic cowl piece. This is where my wife assisted by holding the cowl piece up out of the way so I could raise the lid to the air box.
4. The lid to the air box has 2 plastic clips on the forward edge holding it in place. Gently pry the tab forward (toward the front of the vehicle) while lifting the top. I found releasing the outboard clip first worked best (it's also the most visible of the 2). I did not remove the lid, just lifted it up enough to get the filter in place inside the air box.
5. Install the air filter in place, since it is such a funny shape it will only go in one way which is obvious. As stated here and other places I researched, the filter does not fit perfectly. It is the right shape it just seems to be a little too big. I had to push the edges down into place in order to get a decent seal which slightly distorted the filter. It should work fine though.

So overall it is a fairly simple 10 minute procedure. Good luck.

Last edited by 16falcon; 11-08-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I figured it out
Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: THE Air and Oil Filter Thread

Check fleabay everynow & then. I just scored the K&N battery filter for $15+10sh so $25 for a K&N or $20-$30 for the Ford/other paper disposable one

Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM

I updated the list as best I could with info on the 2009's, if anything looks wrong or needs updating let me know...

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Fram airfilter that is new:
Name:  2009-05-01farmairfilter3Largee-mail.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  129.0 KB

Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hi!

A related question?
I have changed the little filter in the rear near the batteries several times ($26!! for what?! its the size of a postcard)
But never the cabin filter. Lately my SERVICE SOON message keeps appearing, no code, I am wondering if it could be that,
or maybe a dirty fuel filter? Other than that, still love my 2006 at 59K with the new Michelin tires, 34.2 mpg on mixed driving in lovely CA.

Last edited by Reed V; 05-13-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add a line
Old 05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reed V
Hi!

A related question?
I have changed the little filter in the rear near the batteries several times ($26!! for what?! its the size of a postcard)
But never the cabin filter. Lately my SERVICE SOON message keeps appearing, no code, I am wondering if it could be that,
or maybe a dirty fuel filter? Other than that, still love my 2006 at 59K with the new Michelin tires, 34.2 mpg on mixed driving in lovely CA.
Unless you or someone else put one in, your FEH doesn't have a cabin filter. Even if there was one I doubt that it would cause a SERVICE SOON message. When you say no code, how did you determine that?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Enthusiast

DesertDog-thanks for your reply. Some more details:

Last year when this kept happening I took it to the dealer, they
said if no numbers were showing in my little info box (I don't have the
NAV system) then nothing was wrong. I insisted they put it on the
computer scanner ($125) and they did and still claimed nothing was wrong.
So I have lived with this intermittent problem for a year now. I have
regular oil and air filter changes, etc, but only had the fuel filter done
once, at about 35K. The car seems to run fine, but its bugging me.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Is there a permanent cabin air fliter for the 2007 Escape Hybrid that I can take out and clean?

Last edited by uptownvideo; 05-18-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

My light comes on intermittantly now too. Gotta grab my scangauge out of my Civic GX

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reed V
DesertDog-thanks for your reply. Some more details:

Last year when this kept happening I took it to the dealer, they
said if no numbers were showing in my little info box (I don't have the
NAV system) then nothing was wrong. I insisted they put it on the
computer scanner ($125) and they did and still claimed nothing was wrong.
So I have lived with this intermittent problem for a year now. I have
regular oil and air filter changes, etc, but only had the fuel filter done
once, at about 35K. The car seems to run fine, but its bugging me.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Most scanners will only look for DTCs from either the Engine or Transaxle. However, I figured out a way to retrieve DTCs from every module in the FEH using a scangauge. I have seen intermittent messages in my Message Center that went away but I was still able to pull DTC codes from the various modules. So far I have pulled DTCs from the ABS module, Traction Battery Module, and Power Steering module. Almost all went away on their own except for the B1239 blend door failure that has been covered in detail on this site. I wouldn't be surprised if this is also what is going on with your FEH as it seems to be very common.

Quick Reply: THE Air and Oil Filter Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands