alignment and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default alignment and tire wear

Does your truck wear out the insides of tires?

We just replaced the tires on our '06 MMH for the 2nd time at just shy of 130k mi. Our original Conti's wore out on the inside before the outside. When we had the 2nd set put on, a set of Kumho Road Venture somethings, we had the do an alignment. Well, that set of tires wore out the same way. Inside tread completely smooth but not even to the wear bars on the outside edges. Yes, we did rotate the tires regularly. Ok, I'm thinking that the shop where got the tires and the alignment sorta screwed us so the tires wear out too fast. Took it back to them to see what they would say, they put it on their rack and say it's all within spec. Hmm. Time for a 2nd opinion.

I get up this morning, put some white out on the adjustment bolts just to be sure, and take it into the Ford dealership. They put it on their rack, tell me only one wheel is slightly out (which was not adjusted as evidenced by the marks I'd made) and that it's basically in spec. I actually have the printed out sheet with what the computer said was the measurements and what Ford says the specs are supposed to be.

Hopefully you've kept with me so far. Here's the point. I'm thinking that Ford specs just aren't very good. I'm wondering if other people have seen the same wear pattern where the inside of the tires wears out far sooner than the outside.

For what it's worth, I've also learned that it's darned near impossible to adjust anything on the alignment other than toe on this chassis.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: alignment and tire wear

Yes, yes, yes.....the Ford specs are 'craptastic' (in the immortal words from the Bob and Tom show).....My local Conti/Goodyear/Michelin dealer came to that same conclusion a few years ago, and was kind enough to suggest some modifications that significantly improved tire-wear for me. Wish I had a copy of those specs, but I don't.....I just keep going back to THAT tire dealer instead of the Ford dealership for ANY tire issues...which, I'm sure, was the entire point of keeping those modified specs to themselves. At any rate, I no longer have 'cupping' or other uneven wear problems with any tires on the Escape/Mariner line of vehicles. Hope you're also able to find a similarly-helpful tire dealer.

Gary

Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: alignment and tire wear

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to align the thing myself. I think I'll start with zero toe and see how that works for me. First thing I need to do is measure the thing. I don't have the fancy equipment they do so I'll actually have to measure the difference in width between the fronts and rears of the tires. The spec sheet I got read degrees. I can calculate that with some measurements. No need if I go to zero toe, though. I think I'll measure it, calculate how many degrees that is, compare that to Ford specs and go from there. I'm only going to deal with toe because camber requires you to drill out the strut. Yikes!

Thanks, Gary, for the input. Oh, if you ever do get those specs from your tire guy, I for one would be greatly appreciative if you'd post 'em.

J.