That annoying noise

Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast
Question That annoying noise

Ok, does anyone know what that annoying solenoid-sounding noise under the hood is that you hear every time you unlock or open a door on the FEH? I'm sure it's just "getting ready to go", but is it really necessary to do it when I go out in the middle of the night to get my check book or unload the cargo area?

Here's an idea -- you've got a sensor on the passenger seat to tell it when to turn the passenger air bag on or off, why not put one on the driver's seat to only do {whatever it is doing} when there is someone in the driver's seat?

Old 05-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: That annoying noise

You read my mind... though I don't really mind the noise so much, as not knowing what is going on. Now, can someone please tell us WHAT IT IS?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's explained in the Owner's Manual. If I remember correctly it's priming the braking system.

I too found it quite unnecessary when I'm spending all day at the vehicle (not driving it), and often getting in and out of it.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

My guess it is something to do with the brake or streering system pressurizing. But it is really just a guess.

Chris

Old 05-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

The sound you hear when you open the door, put in the key, or otherwise get ready to drive is the ABS System being primed. There is a possibility, as expressed by some, that some sounds are the airbag system being set up but I doubt it. Lately I have been getting some squeals from the battery pack area (in extreme heat - 110+) here in desert southern CA. It sounds like a venting.

Mike

Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Early Adopter

The sound is the accumulator for the braking system. Since there's no guarantee you'll have engine vacuum available when you want to brake, the system uses a pump to pressurize the braking system.

You'll also hear a self-test of the system after you exit the car and lock up (about 5 minutes afterwards). This is part of the reason why Ford advises against DIY brake jobs. You have to put the brake system into maintenance mode so it doesn't pressurize while you've got the calipers taken apart!