Anyone change the OEM Nav unit on an 06 Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone change the OEM Nav unit on an 06 Escape?

I am curious if anyone has changed the the factory nav unit in an '06 Escape. I have heard the charging system for the battery is looped through the head unit and the car will not run properly / at all without the OEM radio.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone change the OEM Nav unit on an 06 Escape?

That's hard to believe as the Nav is only an option. The only communication between the charging system and the radio should be one-way.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCal Rep
I am curious if anyone has changed the the factory nav unit in an '06 Escape. I have heard the charging system for the battery is looped through the head unit and the car will not run properly / at all without the OEM radio.
Several people in different threads on the NAV in this forum (most of them complaining about how bad it is) have exchanged the radio for a Nice eclipse unit.

Their cars still ran.... one would ASSUME swapping out the NAV would be no different.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 AM

I would think that the only question, is how to re-enable the Message Center to display its hybrid related info, now that you have removed the Nav Radio.

Without the Nav Radio from the factory, the Message Center does display this info.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Someone with the service manuals may be able to answer that....

Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Several people in different threads on the NAV in this forum (most of them complaining about how bad it is) have exchanged the radio for a Nice eclipse unit.

Their cars still ran.... one would ASSUME swapping out the NAV would be no different.

I did just that in my 05 FEH, I removed the stock system & replaced it with this incredible Eclipse setup:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/66287539

Now, I just bought an 06 FEH & it came with that awful factory NAV setup. I am planning on replacing it shortly with another Eclipse setup(Eclipse is owned by Toyota/Lexus & the units are the same as the Lexus $4000 factory units).

I will lose the Hybrid display(which annoys me), but I can live without that & I am 100% spoiled by my old Eclipse setup(it plays DVD movies, MP3 DV-R disc's, is Sirius ready, has a backup camera & internal high power stereo AMP & an awesome full color 6.5" screen. It uses one DVD disc for the entire USA & the mapping/routing is flawless. Also, the maps can be updated yearly by simply buying one new DVD disc.

~John

Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you have to buy a new GPS receiver? A new cd changer?

That unit looks cool, but not sure I want to lose my cd changer and integrated GPS.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sirfergy
Did you have to buy a new GPS receiver? A new cd changer?

That unit looks cool, but not sure I want to lose my cd changer and integrated GPS.
That unit is a NAV/GPS unit, a DVD player, a backup camera system & a CD-R/mp3 player all integrated into one unit.

It is not a CD changer, but since it will play a disc of mp3 files, you can fit more songs on a single CD than all the changer disc's combined.

~John

Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Can you please post a model number on your Eclipse setup? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Can you please post a model number on your Eclipse setup? Thanks.
avn5435

~John

Quick Reply: Anyone change the OEM Nav unit on an 06 Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands