Anyone have bad valve stems (on tires?)

Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Anyone have bad valve stems (on tires?)

Today I wanted to check my air in my tires. After checking 3, I could not get the CAP off the 4th valve stem... hmm.... probably frozen in place... since it was about 29'F and streets were wet, etc.

Not being able to really get a good grip on something that small with cold fingers anyway, I got a pair of pliers to twist the cap off. Only the cap STILL would not come off, but I did manage to twist the entire valve steam...and break some seal... and could hear air hissing out.

I wiggled the stem a few times and got the air leak to stop... but now that tire is lower than the rest and I had no way to put more air in!

I drove on it all day ( 100 miles + ) without a problem. Now I'm home, so may take a cup of hot water out and see if I can get the cap off now.

So which is worse!? Leaving the cap off, or having it freeze stuck in place!?

-John