Anyone know when the full tax credit is set to expire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast
Question Anyone know when the full tax credit is set to expire?

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of either the IRS or the dealerships regarding exactly how close Ford is to hitting the 60,000 sales mark for the FEH. I am considering either an '09 FEH or MMH but a big part of my reason for buying is to get the full tax credit so I want to make sure the full $3000 will still be available. Also, does anyone know whether or not the 60,000 sales mark applies to the combined sales for the FEH and MMH or do they each have their own 60,000 mark to hit before the tax credit is reduced?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone know when the full tax credit is set to expire?

The IRS is counting FEH/MMH sales under the same 60,000 limit (not sure if they are throwing in the Mazda Tribute Hybrids but since there were only a few hundred made it's not a real issue). This was the same for Lexus and Toyota brand hybrids.

The IRS has documents regarding the credit and phase out period at their web site. Such as:
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...107766,00.html

Even if they announced today that Ford reached the 60,000, the full credit would be in effect until September and then 50% until March (roughly). As of August 2007, the count was around 34,000. There should be an updated count/document by now but I can't seem to find it.

Also note that not all FEH/MMHs built are counted in this number (IRS defines what "qualified sales" are). As best I can tell all of those NYC taxis aren't counted.

Don't forget to check and see if you state also offers a tax incentive for hybrid purchases. Also, check with your insurance provider to see if they offer lower rates for hybrid owners.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone know when the full tax credit is set to expire?

Also, check with your accountant to be sure you will even be able to take this credit. Many of us weren't thanks to the wonderfully overreaching AMT and the way this "incentive" was authored.