Backup cameras for FEH

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Backup cameras for FEH

Does anyone here have experience installing a backup camera for the FEH? There are so many brands/models on ebay I don't know which ones to go for. Besides, I don't know how to choose the one that fits the body design/wiring of FEH. Any thoughts on this?

A local car stereo store recommends a bluetooth model, but they haven't figured out a best spot to mount the camera yet. Based on the design of FEH, where do you all think the best place to mount something like that?

Since the stock NAV/Radio unit does NOT come with a backup camera, I think this addition will make my FEH very cool not to mention some practical reasons for installing the camera.

Last edited by greenhybrider; 11-02-2006 at 02:27 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 11-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Backup cameras for FEH

I kind-of liked the ones where the LCD is in the rear view mirror.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you referring to this?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._promot_widget

Yes I like it too but too bad I already have the Gentex auto-dimming with compass/temp so I am looking for a different solution.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
Since the stock NAV/Radio unit does come with a backup camera..
Do I need to file a police report, cause I don't think mine did. Can you please elaborate...

Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by LynchMob
Do I need to file a police report, cause I don't think mine did. Can you please elaborate...
I think its a mistype... its missing the word "not"

Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was just checking if anyone is paying attention

Teester, you're right, my bad, it was a mistype

Old 11-02-2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
Are you referring to this?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._promot_widget

Yes I like it too but too bad I already have the Gentex auto-dimming with compass/temp so I am looking for a different solution.
No, the one I saw, had a much smaller LCD, and the LCD only took up a small portion of the otherwise regular mirror. Also, when the LCD was 'off', you had a full mirror. In other words, then the LCD was off, it optically disappeared behind the mirror.

However, that one you reference, does remind me of the ones which go on the back of a sunvisor, basically replacing the vanity mirror.

Last edited by WaltPA; 11-02-2006 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice photo of a LCD embedded in the sun visor, WaltPA. Do you have a source for this LCD? I especially like the fact it disappears behind the "regular" mirror so I won't lose a vanity mirror on the driver side.

By the way, I found another wireless backup camera system here today: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=016

The system looks pretty cool, but I wonder how and where to mount that camera on FEH?!!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The best OEM cameras I have seen are relatively "invisible"......they are small (literally 1"x1"x1" cubes)and are mounted in places that are hard to spot.

The FEH and MMH are small SUVs that afford a fair amount of visibility to the rear by just looking out the back window. That, coupled with the "Reverse Sensing System" option should provide for safe backing-up. [I would have overpaid for reverse sensing on my FEH but didn't want the Appearance package]

I always thought the the camera option was over-kill and marketed to the Acura/Lexus/Infinity crowd.....sensors and beeps being too "low-tech". Has anyone heard of a retrofit kit for reverse sensing hardware? I guess the camera system is an easier retrofit. (?)

I've used the Ford Reverse Sensing system when I rented a Freestar minivan. The system is well engineered, only takes one try to learn, can be defeated when not needed, and then resets when the car is turned off and then re-started.

I assume you have already decided that a camera is what you desire.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

I bought an add on reverse sensing kit from the dealer when I bought the car. It was about $400 as I recall. Kinda high, but to avoid crunching the rear on a wall or post it was worth it. An added bonus I've discovered is that is senses people walking behing the car when you are backing up. Could save big bux from a lawsuit. It works very well and I'm well satisfied with it. Passengers always laugh when it beeps when you first shift to reverse. I'm not sure the connection between the beeping and the funny bone, but it is there nevertheless.

Jay

Quick Reply: Backup cameras for FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands