Bad PTU-Am I the first?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad PTU-Am I the first?

Originally Posted by wptski
As mentioned a few posts above, rear wheels are engaged "every" time you leave from a dead stop and gradually drops to zero as you reach a constant speed. I often wonder if there is a certain speed at which it drops off as it "seems" to be zero between 25-30mph.
I don't leave my AWD xguage up, but according to the Ford advertising, the "intelligent: AWD kicks in on curves at highway speeds, to provide more traction. I'm not sure I trust an advertisement...

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I don't leave my AWD xguage up, but according to the Ford advertising, the "intelligent: AWD kicks in on curves at highway speeds, to provide more traction. I'm not sure I trust an advertisement...
Low speed turns, especially tight low speed turns, but NEVER one curves at hwy speeds.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
wwest: you continue to reconfirm that you have little to offer here. You should not modify others posts like you did when you added the word rarely to my post in quoting me. Your addition was far from correct. Out here where I live we use 4wd alot in the winter and a good bit in the spring mud season (should I tell you just how long Wyoming winters are?). So please don't do stuff like that.

That is the OEM front axle on that Suburban, so at 435,000 miles & 19 years, it's had its chance to show off.

Since the power coupling device on the front of the rear axle couples the rear axle in & out of power with the front driveline on a continuous basis, the windup thing that happens in part time 4WD cars is not likely to be a big deal here. That's why I called it irrelevant to the issue.

When you try and interpret other's posts you just seem to always get it wrong and mislead people. Please don't do that.
"..the windup thing...not likely to be a big deal..."

Does that mean that Ford has eliminated the temperature sensor in the rear clutch/diff'l used to warn the driver that driveline "wind-up" is resulting in too much stress...??

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
There actually a little selectable moving graphic at a Ford site that showed it working like that on a AWD/4WD Fusion which uses the same exact system. That was removed from that site as they must have discovered that it doesn't work that way at all.

Here's a thread showing what the selectable looked like: AWD Fusion. It was under Performance & Handling where it showed a winding road. The second link in Post #4 is the actual link which Ford later pulled.

That thread also contains a interview with a person from Ford about 4WD system. I really like what he said about our On Demand system, the harder you accelerate the more rear wheel torque you get. Anybody with a SG-II can tell you that you only get so much. There's no difference between moderate throttle and all the way to the floor.

Last edited by wptski; 08-31-2011 at 06:05 AM.