Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Print these photos out and take it to the service department:
Name:  fordinternalbatteryheater-1.jpg
Views: 4232
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  fordescapehybridbatteryopened.jpg
Views: 3617
Size:  58.4 KB

Don't setlle for some BS from the service manager.

For the long time posters on this site, there have been several cases of this issue reported in the last two months. Too infrequent to worry about or something to consider happening in the future? I wonder if the new in house Ford hybrid battery packs will retro fit into our Escape Hybrids?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, but did you read that section I posted on page one of this thread with the actual language of the warranty? They are quite specific that the fans are covered only on Fusion and Milan. Not only the fans, but several other components shown in your expanded view drawing. Even the high voltage connector isn't covered on Escape.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

No no NO! You are not hearing me (us).

The fans are INSIDE the battery. The battery and the fans are all one unit in the Ford Escapes. They are meant to be inseparable.
You can't say the radio has a warranty but the radio on button does not, can you? This is what you are implying.

It can be confusing, which is why you made a good choice coming to a web site like this. An informed consumer will not be taken advantage of.
Don't get confused by wording for the Fusion/Milan. IT DOES NOT APPLY.
The wording is different, because the systems are different.
Take my advice, or pay up. It's all the same to me.
You won't see Billy or myself paying for a battery fan if they every quit in our vehicles.

Originally Posted by Mojos Mom
I found a copy of the 2010 Ford Hybrid warranty book (mine for my 2005 is in my car, which is in the shop) and it reads as follows:

(4) Your vehicle’s unique components are covered during the Hybrid
Vehicle Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000
miles, whichever occurs first. The following parts are covered during this
extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, continuously variable
transmission and the DC/DC converter. In addition, the high-voltage battery
connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, hybrid battery pack sensor
module (HBPSM), and the battery energy control module (BECM) are
covered for the Fusion Hybrid and the Milan Hybrid only.

So, did you get that? The only parts covered on my car are the battery, the CVT and the Dc/DC converter. The fan will not be covered, but would be on a Fusion or Milan (what the heck is the Milan). Isn't that sweet.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, I see what you're saying. I did understand that the fans, etc. are in fact part of the battery pack, I see that in the drawing.

My mechanic said that the TSB for the fan failure involved a very large amount of labor due to the necessity of opening the battery pack. In other words, Ford gives instructions for opening the battery pack to replace the fans.

I'll fight it, and I'll let you know what happens. I will make your argument and see what they say. If the dealer won't budge I'll go higher. There used to be a direct line for the techs in the service department to get right to a hybrid specific expert at Ford.

I just sent a letter to Ford's customer relations department, which might have been the wrong place to send it.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

If you have a 2005, Like me, somewhere it says there are no serviceable parts inside and the battery must be replaced as a whole. It is moderatly dangerous to open a 330 volt apparatus. Ford did not want dealers to even take this risk back in 2005.

Hence I agree, if this failed in 2005, you would have, without a doubt, gotten a whole new battery pack.

If Ford changed their policy and now allows dealers to open and replace individual components inside the pack to save them money, ok fine. You can live with that. It will still cost you zero dollars.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I will head to Ford with your arguments. We shall see....

And I remember what you're saying about Ford initially wanting the battery packs unopened. This came up the first year I had the car, when Ford almost replaced my battery pack because of a presumed failure of the control module within the battery pack, but then the problem turned out to be something else outside the pack.

From what I'm being told now, they must have changed their policy to save money. But as you say, that shouldn't result in something which originally would have been under warranty suddenly become NOT under warranty.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

And now I just found a copy of my original warranty from 2005, on Ford's website. It reads only:

Ford Motor Company or Ford Motor Vehicle Assurance Company covers
these components: high-voltage battery, electronically controlled continuously variable transmission, and the DC/DC converter.

So as you pointed out, if a warranty covers a radio, it would be ridiculous to try to claim that the volume **** isn't covered.

They must now have gone to a single hybrid warranty booklet for all Ford hybrid cars.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM

[quote=Mojos Mom;225142]OK, I will head to Ford with your arguments. We shall see....

This came up the first year I had the car, when Ford almost replaced my battery pack because of a presumed failure of the control module within the battery pack, but then the problem turned out to be something else outside the pack

There was a Ford mandated recall of the hybrid battery in September 2007 when the service departments, removed the hybrid battery from the vehicle, opened the battery case and replaced a service harness.

The link for the above is: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1225

I wonder if the issue is the service department at "your" dealership. Is it possible to go "elsewhere"? I would not pay a cent for this repair.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Someone else had to replace the hybrid battery cooling fans: www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/help-no-ev-2006-escape-24483-new/ The part number was #5m6z10c659A with a reported cost of $350.00. TSB of 09-17-7? The reported labor cost was for six hours. The previous TSB work allowed 4 hours labor and this was for removal of the hybrid battery pack from the vehicle, opening the case, doing the repair and then putting the battery pack back into the vehicle. I doubt the six hour labor cost was not padded by the service department.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM

billyk where did you get that pic of the open battery for the FEH? I asked in another post whether anyone had considered replacing the standard d cells with higher capacity d cells available. Got much hoopla but no real answers.

You pic about tells me that the battery cells could be replaced. Help me find the thread from your above pics.

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands