Battery Cooling Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Cooling Fan Question

Hi,

I have a 2007 FEH that has an intermittent problem with going into EV mode. It was making a noise also, but that is the A/C compressor kicking on and off quickly.

I took it to the Ford Dealership and they had it for 3 days and it did not reproduce the problem. Next day it started and I carried it back. They agreed it had a problem, but there was no Trouble Codes in Computer.

Would the Battery Cooling fans cause the A/C compressor to cycle on and off?

Other than not going into EV mode, this is the only symptom I have.

Anyone else have this problem? What symptoms does the MCES pump cause?

Thanks

AK

Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Question

I replaced my MECS pump with the newer unit before mine failed, so I can't speak to the symptoms of one that failed. Do a search here, there is plenty of material.

I very recently experienced a cooling fan failure, there are at least two large threads on that issue.

I have a 2006 FEH. When the vehicle was cold/cool, it ran normally. When it warmed up completely, it would not go into EV mode, the ICE ran continuously. There are two fans in the battery pack and it's possible only one has failed. As I understand it, the only code found in my FEH was for a failure of cooling fan 1. The computer most definitely will cause the AC to cycle on if the battery pack gets too warm. If one fan has failed or there is an intermittent fan problem, one would expect the AC to cycle on more frequently to make up for the fans's lack of airflow to the battery.

If it is a fan problem, read the two threads on the issue. They are definitely covered by the 8 yr/100K miles (10 yr/150K in the "green" states) unique hybrid component warranty. Unless something has changed in the last month, Ford and the dealer will jerk you around unmercifully claiming the fans are not covered. Stick to your guns on this.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thank for the quick reply.

I have read some ( including yours ) threads about cooling fan failure. I haven't saw anyone mention Air conditioning cycling.

The A/C will only run for 1 -5 seconds before turning off. It will do it when first started in the morning and in cold weather. Just until ysterday, I thought it was in the anti lock brakes or traction control.

I carry it back to the dealer in a few days and they don't work on many hybrids so any information about this will be helpful.

Thanks Again

AK

Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ak74

I have read some ( including yours ) threads about cooling fan failure. I haven't saw anyone mention Air conditioning cycling.

The A/C will only run for 1 -5 seconds before turning off. It will do it when first started in the morning and in cold weather. Just until ysterday, I thought it was in the anti lock brakes or traction control.

I carry it back to the dealer in a few days and they don't work on many hybrids so any information about this will be helpful.

Thanks Again

It sounds to me like the A/C has a leak and is low on refrigerant. This will cause the compressor to cycle like you describe. My compressor had a leak and had to be changed on my '05 FEH.

GaryG

AK

Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ak74

Thanks Again

AK
AK, first time responder here although I have been lurking for some time. I have a similar issue with AC cycling on 1-5 sec once TAV (from scangauge) shows battery is hot (>86 F). At this point the battery zone should open and AC should kick on and stay on until battery temp drops back to 78 F i believe. However mine will keep cycling the AC (per X gauge for AC). I monitor the temperature of the air in the channel between the rear AC evaporator and the battery itself using an indoor/outdoor thermometer which will only drop 10 F or so when this condition is present. If I turn on the front AC this forces the compressor to stay on properly (cycles with much longer duty). I have replaced the blend door actuator and battery fans myself and am confident all is working correctly. I have had the AC tested at the dealership and is found to be filled properly with no leaks. My best guess is the thermistor after the rear evaporator is bad or the TCMB is flaking out and needs to be reflashed. Could also be a loose ground somewhere as this seems to be a common problem with these vehicles. I plan on checking the thermistor per the service manual again. If anyone has the Xgauge codes for the evaporator temp, please post. CS

Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

CraigS,

This pretty much describes my problem. I replaced the blend door motor and had the troule reset by Ford Dealer. The wrench light was on at that time, but has not come back on since then.

My A/C also cycles properly when the you turn on the front A/C.

I need to set up sanguage to monitor battery temp also.

I hope that it is not a grounding issue, those can be tough to find.

Thanks

AK

Last edited by ak74; 05-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

AK, here is the site to describing the Ford specific Xgauges:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...cific-xgauges/

I use average battery module temp (TAV) and AC clutch commanded on (AC).

CS

Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

After checking with scangauge, the A/C gauge will show that the compressor is coming on for a few seconds ( 2 - 5 ) and then back off.

The battery and MCES temp is in the mid to upper 90's and doesn't change when the A/C cycles.

I will ask them to look at the TSB for the battery cooling fans and then consider re-flashing the traction control module.

Updates when I know something.

Thanks for the information, it really helps.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

AK, I checked my rear thermistor and zone valve per the service manual last night and both were OK. Test to ground out the signal to the zone valve even made valve sound like it was engaging. So I moved the FEH out of the garage and let it run with the AC in max mode. OAT was at 70F and TAV was 83F. The air in the rear channel to the battery dropped to 41F+/-3F and stayed there while the TAV dropped to 73F. After 20 minutes of idling at that point I just turned it off, it appears the zone valve was not going to close and stop cold air from going to the battery. Still no idea why. If you get any info from your service dept, I'd love to hear it. CS

Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Update.

The battery fans need to be replaced. It seems that it was only giving code some of the time and took a day or two to diagnose.

I was initially told that the fans were not under warranty. I explained the information that I found in GatorJ's thread and they were skeptical. When I called back, I spoke with someone else and they couldn't find parts under warranty. I was told to call Ford customer service. They also moved the problem up to the service manager.

I called ford and referenced GatorJ's case number. ( they would not tell me anything about his case ) Explained that I had the same problem. Rep put me on hold to do research. He came back on the phone and got some more information. Dealer called ( while talking to CSR ) and told me that service manager was talking to warranty dept. Customer service rep put me on hold again.

After hold was over, was told that spoke with service manager and Service manager was working with corporate warranty dept. They would contact me with the decision.

About 15 minutes later got a call from dealer and was told that it was under warranty. Also told they don't do many hybrids and this was new to them. Parts ordered.

Thanked them for taking care of it.

Thanks to everyone here for the Great information. I knew ahead of time what the problem would be and was prepared. Without it I may or may not have been able to get it covered, but I know it would taken much more time.

Thanks again to everyone.

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands