Battery heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery heater

Yes, the extension cord that connects the block heater plug to the outlet.

My first tool of choice for this project is my Kill-a-Watt, used as an ammeter (or watt meter) for the block heater. If I have to tear into the grill to check out the wiring, then I'll consider a DVM, possibly on an much warmer day.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by subdewd
As posted by GPSman ( I think) it's a 24 volt and I read 75W would be 3A.(?)
Closest I could find was 4 amp.
Mine shows 100 watts when plugged in not sure if it's the killawatt or just drawing more power.
I'll check it out with DVM when I get a chance.
http://stores.ebay.com/chargerdeal
Keep in mind the "killawatt" meter measures what goes into the AC/DC converter, (charger) and not what goes into the battery pack. If the OEM transformer (mine) was more efficient, maybe your "charger" is just consuming an extra 25-35 watts? Also not too extraordinary for each car to vary a little. Maybe if your charger puts out a little more, the battery can take a little more?

Mine is a 2005, built in 12/2004.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good point I neglected to consider. Also I noticed a small fan running in the brick. I am actually considering disabling it.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subdewd
I was able to find the proper connector at the junk yard, took a while but it came from a 2000 something Taurus, something off the fire wall. From my shop manual it looks like the same one for the seat belt buckled signal also. Anyway no cut and splice required
and I got an excuse to go to the Junk yard!!
Originally Posted by Billyk

Could you post photos of your setup and "junk yard find?
Originally Posted by colchiro
I'd be interested in more info as well.
With several new 2009+ owners here, I'd like to get this documented, maybe even get a how-to stickied.

I do have the 2009 manual. Maybe I can find that seat-belt connector there as well. I have the 24v PS, but need to get the connector to test, then run the wire from back to front.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Curmudgeon

I have an Enginer kit (4kwh) installed which sits above the HV battery. I have inserted a 60w battery heating pad from Napa between the two and it is set to turn on under 50 degrees F. It makes a big difference in battery performance on my FEH and uses little electricity. The other day my 10 mile drive to work got 60mpg in 25 degree weather.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by benichols
I have an Enginer kit (4kwh) installed which sits above the HV battery. I have inserted a 60w battery heating pad from Napa between the two and it is set to turn on under 50 degrees F. It makes a big difference in battery performance on my FEH and uses little electricity. The other day my 10 mile drive to work got 60mpg in 25 degree weather.
A 60w heating pad is not an effective means to warm a cold battery, but sounds like just the trick to keep a battery already warm from a day of driving from cooling off overnight.

Plus, your plug-in battery will get warm naturally during the charge cycle.