Battery heater componet

Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery heater componet

Is this site about who's kid is smarter....or is this site about Hybrids?

Just curious.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Now that I've had the "whole" system... IMHO the HV battery heater is THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE of the system.

The battery gets warm quickly even on frigid days, since it is protected from wind, and is in a confined space. ( only 75w too )

If I read it correctly, the original question was about running the battery heater after the vehicle was full warmed up and one is driving around. That continuing to heat the HV battery pack while driving in the winter, will allow the system to drop into EV mode and stay in EV mode, just as much as it does on a warm summer day. Therefore, winter mileage will equal summer mileage.

So, are you saying that this is indeed true? That doing a mod that will keep the battery heater active while driving around town in the winter, will keep EV mode and battery usage, at summer time levels?

Or are we just not working on the same question?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Walt, no, that is not what ( anyone ) was talking about.

The whole discussion was about a plug-in ( 120v AC ) battery warmer.
You can use the internal one ( there's a built in heater, but you need to buy the power supply separately from Ford ) or you can use an electric blanket of your choice... probably less effective since it would be external.

If you start your day with a 65'F battery, it will stay there while you drive.
A) you are putting watts in and out makeing heat
B) you are probably warming the cabin too

-John

Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM

Walt, no, that is not what ( anyone ) was talking about.
This is the comment from the OP that got me thinking that was it...

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I'm talking about after warm up I have notice reduced regen and battery discharge.
After warm up, continuing to heat the HV battery should have no affect on regen and battery discharge.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 AM

And I explained ( I think I explained ) that after the engine is all warmed up, the battery is NOT all warmed up... since is warms more slowly.

Thus, a plug-in heater before you leave home is very helpful.
No one was talking about an artificial heater while driving.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM

No one was talking about an artificial heater while driving.
That is why I question if you (and the others) were actually answering the original question, or wandered off onto something else.

I think we agree, then, that somehow heating the HV battery while driving (ie, after the vehicle was all warmed up), will not restore summer-like EV usage and summer-like mileage.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Now I'm confused. Was anyone talking about heating the battery by artificial means while driving? The internal resistance of the cells will heat themselves with usage... while driving... but it takes more time than most people have on cold days.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
With your 27 miles per gallon average, we must be talking about kids, don't you think?

GaryG

You are a joke Gary. I've called you out on it before. I'll probably get another "naughty point" from the admins. But, what kind of person goes onto an internet site to brag about himself AND brag about his kid's accomplishments? For the record....what your kid accomplishes as an ADULT is not something YOU get to take credit for. It doesn't make YOU a genius.

As for my mileage....you don't know me, you don't know my commute, you don't know my environment. All you know is driving your FWD FEH in warm, suburban Florida. Try driving an AWD MMH in multiple short commutes in heavy traffic during rush hour in the 5th largest city in the US in rain and 20 degree temps.....then talk to me.

Its a shame that someone with as much knowledge on the FEH/MMH has to be a know-it-all and a braggart and can't just be helpful and supportive.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
SPL

Come on guys, let's stop all the insults. I have a question/comment about something gpsman1 said about catalytic converter cooling in his post #5 above. If the ICE is in fuel-cut but being spun by the generator (MG1) during high-speed coasting, since this "Atkinson"-cycle engine has a shorter effective compression stroke than its expansion ("power") stroke, it acts like a refrigerator during such events. That is, its exhaust air is cooler than its intake air. Do you agree? If so, it would significantly increase the cooling rate of the catalytic converter during such events.

Stan

Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM

I can tell you for sure the engine cools down quickly.
I figured it was just from ambient air.
There could be something to your theory.

The Ford manual specifically states, that in level one ( mild overheat ) the engine will fire only every other cylinder in an attempt to cool the engine to normal levels... using less fuel, and drawing cool air into the engine.

While that's a paraphrase from memory, that's what it says.

Going downhill last month, my ICE went from 190'F to 140'F in minutes.
And I have the radiator blocked 2/3. Bottom slit only is open.
-John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery heater componet

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands