Battery heater componet

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery heater componet

Hate to interrupt the discussion here but I posted a question about the hybrid battery heater in the thread "tell me about the engine block heater" that may apply to this thread.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Well hats off to you guys in the cold climates. I just finished my in town trek to pick up my daughter from school. Normally I would get anywhere from 39 to 46 mpg on this trip, at least when the weather is 70 to 80'F. Well I drove 5 miles before EV was allowed, then the ICE was constantly starting to keep the temp up erst while I'm freezing my tokus because I dont want to run the heater. Round trip fe was 28.6 MPG. Outside temp is 38'F and falling. Its raining so I didnt hook up the EBH in the parking lot. Start fWT was 48'F.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Tim, I was responding to Johns insults to me about my education (was deleted) and how he was bragging about his degree and GPA. My point to him was there are much smarter people out there than him. You didn't bring up your smart comment when John posted his comments, but choose to do it after my post to John. Since you found it ok to take sides as you've done in the past, I looked down on your sig page and saw that 27mpg average and thought what right do you have smarting off to me. The problem was this happen the last time you jumped in between us. I didn't think my response to you was that bad, but now I remember how your mileage set you off in the past. I guess it was overkill on my part - sorry.

BTW, kids just don't grow up and graduate at MIT on their own.

GaryG
I didn't see any of John's comments. If I had, I would have said the same thing then.

As for my mileage, it doesn't set me off.... people who place some kind of personal value on their and others' FE does. The idea of questioning someone's FE as a way to insult them as if your FE makes you better is kind-of sad.

As for kids' accomplishments, suffice it to say that at best you are partially responsible for getting him to college. Beyond that, all credit goes to him. MIT doesn't make you a better parent than the guy whose son goes to community college.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
SPL

gpsman1 — I'd like to suggest an experiment that you could perform. Assess the rate of cooling (degrees per minute) of the catalytic converter in the following two situations:
  1. FEH coasting downhill with the ICE not rotating.
  2. FEH coasting downhill with the ICE being spun in fuel-cut mode.
The coasting speed should preferably be approximately the same in both cases. I'm really curious to see how much faster the catalytic converter cools off in case 2. compared to case 1.

Stan

Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I can't measure the catalytic converter temperature, only the cylinder head temperature, is that what you meant?

Maybe that will tell you the same?

The CAT temp on the SG is an inferred value, and not worth a heap of beans.

It may be a while before I find another long hill to test it on.
-John

Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM
SPL

gpsman1 — I did mean the catalytic converter temperature, but since you can't actually measure this, I guess that the cylinder head temperature would be a good second choice. Its rate of fall, if significantly greater during fuel-cut than when the ICE isn't spinning, would also be indicative of my postulated greater rate of heat removal from the engine by "refrigerator" action during fuel-cut. So, when and if you have an opportunity to test this theory, I'd be most interested in the outcome. [I guess that the cabin heater should ideally be turned "off" during the experiment, so that this additional parasitic source of heat loss isn't present.]

Stan