Battery Recal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Battery Recal

Has anybody had a battery recalibration yet? If so, could you share your experience with the rest of us.

Thanks
Rick

Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Recal

I have had several. The first was at approx 5800 miles. You will notice a loss of pick up and go when accelerating when it is doing the cal. You'll see that the gauge that shows electric assist will not move to the upper portion of the gauge when requesting assistance and the tachometer will hover in the 4000 rpm range while cruising at freeway speeds, my typical with electric assist at freeway speeds is around 2000 rpm.That 4000 rpm is more typical of a regular 4 cylinder ICE The engine doesn't go to ICE off at stops. The whole experience lasted for about 20 or 25 minutes which was at the end of my travel. The next time I started it was normal. Quite frustrating and possibly dangerous especially if trying to pass someone or accelerate onto the freeway.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Wbruff; 12-28-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Yes, several. Like Bill noted, you "lose" electric assist for a while, and it seemed you lose some regen too. The ICE revs higher than normal, and the FEH seems a bit sluggish to start up. After a few minutes, it returns normal.

The last time it happened, I hadn't even really noticed, as it was at the start of the trip, and I just thought that the HV battery was just rather low. After I checked the power distribution screen, I realized I was in recal, and just about that time, it ended.

Also, right now, it's a bit tricky for Northern people to know if a recal is going on, due to the cold, we could also be in SOC II (State of Charge II, Cold Battery), which behaves a bit similar; not as much assist, less charging and ICE off time.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Just to inform everyone, I have never had a recal in 32,000 miles. The only thing I think would be the reason is my constant charging and discharging of my battery for EV driving. Most of all my cold starts is with a very low SoC, which is driven lower with heavy motor use during the first few blocks after start-up. Most of the time, I don't fully charge the battery before going EV after a cold start, but sometimes have to drive over 40mph a few miles and the battery does reach a max charge.

My question is, does this make sense because those of you may go some time between fully draining the battery (below 40%) causing the need for a recal? This would also apply to those who drive the freeway on a daily commute more I would think.

GaryG

Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by GaryG
Just to inform everyone, I have never had a recal in 32,000 miles. The only thing I think would be the reason is my constant charging and discharging of my battery for EV driving. Most of all my cold starts is with a very low SoC, which is driven lower with heavy motor use during the first few blocks after start-up. Most of the time, I don't fully charge the battery before going EV after a cold start, but sometimes have to drive over 40mph a few miles and the battery does reach a max charge.

My question is, does this make sense because those of you may go some time between fully draining the battery (below 40%) causing the need for a recal? This would also apply to those who drive the freeway on a daily commute more I would think.

GaryG

Truthfully? Not really. But to quantify it further, I've only had about 3 in 27K miles. Perhaps it does recal, but it does syncs up to your recharge sequence anyway, so it's not very perceptible, the same could be said for myself.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Truthfully? Not really. But to quantify it further, I've only had about 3 in 27K miles. Perhaps it does recal, but it does syncs up to your recharge sequence anyway, so it's not very perceptible, the same could be said for myself.
Thanks for the quick reply Rich. I only had one time that was strange and not able to go EV for about 2 miles using all my tricks. I very seldom use assist, and that may account for feeling no lost of power ever. The only thing I can say for certain, I know how my FEH is working every minute behind the wheel. Now my wife does drive my FEH some without me, so it could have happen without her knowing it to tell me about it. She always gives me a report though when her Explorer acts up.

Still ready to report a recal as soon as I notice one like you and others have described.

GaryG

Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast

May I suggest renaming this thread something other than "recal" It looks too much like "recall", and it'll only draw Ford-hating trolls over to this discussion group. Perhaps call it Battery Refresh or Recalibation.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have always used the word "recal" on a Yahoo group when I owned a Honda Civic Hybrid. Nobody ever thought recaLL.

I just hate to think that when recaL is used in a Toyota or Honda forum people think battery and when it is used on a Ford forum people think recaLL.

Also, I want to add that the Civic Hybrid had to go back to the shop to have the software upgraded because the car burned too lean and could burn out the catalytic converter.

Also the CVT transmission started to die at 45,000 miles in the Civic (covered by warranty).

(you can come to your own conclusion about reliability).

Sorry if I scared anyone.

Rick

Last edited by rxhybrid; 12-29-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Megageek

I did misread the title and came here to see what the recall was about

Old 12-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WScottCross
I did misread the title and came here to see what the recall was about
Same here.

Quick Reply: Battery Recal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands