Battery Recal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Recal

Originally Posted by WScottCross
I did misread the title and came here to see what the recall was about
Yes but not a Troll

Last edited by Wbruff; 12-30-2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Removed the troll picture. :)-
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Thanks for the quick reply Rich. I only had one time that was strange and not able to go EV for about 2 miles using all my tricks. I very seldom use assist, and that may account for feeling no lost of power ever. The only thing I can say for certain, I know how my FEH is working every minute behind the wheel. Now my wife does drive my FEH some without me, so it could have happen without her knowing it to tell me about it. She always gives me a report though when her Explorer acts up.

Still ready to report a recal as soon as I notice one like you and others have described.

GaryG
Somewhat like Gary I also don't think I've ever had a recalibration yet. I've got 15,000 miles on mine. I don't drive like he does so I am using assist, and I don't really have extended EV in my way of driving (I'm too lazy I guess ). So it seems like something else is the reason for the non-frequent recalibrations. In any case I haven't noticed any recalibration. I've had mine since about March.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

#1 I thought it said RECALL at first.

#2 I have had one perceptable RECONDITION event ( battery recondition is what it is actually called) in 32,000 miles.

#3 I charge and discharge intentionally more than anyone, except perhaps GaryG, so maybe my car does not really need to do it.

#4 At about 20,000 miles, with a fully warmed up FEH, on a warm day, I could not go into EV. In fact, while at stops, and while driving, the arrows showed charging was going on. Even after the battery icon was 100% green, charging arrows continued for 4 or 5 more minutes. When it finally shut down and went to EV, I was able to drive a personal best, 5.6 miles of stop and go residential driving, over flat terrain, without the ICE starting up.

#5 I concluded my FEH did a "super charge" followed by a "super discharge".

-John

Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm still a very new owner (first tank of gas type new), can someone explain what this event is? I assume it's something that the car intentionally does on it's own when it senses a certain battery condition, correct? Is it mentioned in the manual?

Old 12-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Megageek

Originally Posted by Wbruff
Yes but not a Troll
LOL, I hope most folks wouldn't consider me a troll. I'm pretty happy with both my FEH's now that I got the suspension creak fixed.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CCRGMac
I'm still a very new owner (first tank of gas type new), can someone explain what this event is? I assume it's something that the car intentionally does on it's own when it senses a certain battery condition, correct? Is it mentioned in the manual?
Yes, in the 2005 FEH owner manual, page 8 of the "Introduction" under the paragraph titled " ESCAPE HYBRID UNIQUE OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS" it says:
" The high voltage battery may go through a self-reconditioning process from time to time; these events optimize the high voltage battery performance. You may notice slight changes to driveability during the reconditioning process. This is a normal condition."

Old 12-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think I just had a recal on my 08 FEH. (8000 miles) We just had a couple days of 20 degree weather, and I hadn't driven my car for 2 days. Today, I started it up, and noticed that I got no regen when braking. When I pulled out on the main street, I had not assist. I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and normally, the battery will charge almost the whole way down, but today it didn't charge at all. After 10 miles into the trip, I started to get some assist, and by the time I got to my destination, assist seemed to be working normally again, but still very little regen on braking and very little charge when coasting.

The car was behaving like the battery was full at this point, although it should not have been. When braking, the engine revved up instead of charging the battery.

15 miles into the trip, I pulled off the road and shut the engine off, then restarted to see if a reboot would change things. It did not.

On the return trip, it worked better, but at the end of the 60 mile round trip It still isn't working normally.

Is this a recal, or is it the result of the 20 degree weather? If this is normal behavior in cold weather, I am going to invest in the engine/battery heater.

Any ideas?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WScottCross
I did misread the title and came here to see what the recall was about
Me too, I was wondering what is about the recall...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kephra
I think I just had a recal on my 08 FEH. (8000 miles) We just had a couple days of 20 degree weather, and I hadn't driven my car for 2 days. Today, I started it up, and noticed that I got no regen when braking. When I pulled out on the main street, I had not assist. I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and normally, the battery will charge almost the whole way down, but today it didn't charge at all. After 10 miles into the trip, I started to get some assist, and by the time I got to my destination, assist seemed to be working normally again, but still very little regen on braking and very little charge when coasting.

The car was behaving like the battery was full at this point, although it should not have been. When braking, the engine revved up instead of charging the battery.

15 miles into the trip, I pulled off the road and shut the engine off, then restarted to see if a reboot would change things. It did not.

On the return trip, it worked better, but at the end of the 60 mile round trip It still isn't working normally.

Is this a recal, or is it the result of the 20 degree weather? If this is normal behavior in cold weather, I am going to invest in the engine/battery heater.

Any ideas?
I don't think you had a recal and it does sound like the effects of cold weather. People use the block heater but I don't think the '08 has a battery heater connection. The radiator block maybe something else you want to research but I'd monitor engine coolant and the eCVT temperatures with a SGII if you do.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Battery Recal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands