Battery Recal

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Recal

Originally Posted by GaryG

but I'd monitor engine coolant and the eCVT temperatures with a SGII if you do.

GaryG
I have one on order, should come next week.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kephra
I think I just had a recal on my 08 FEH. (8000 miles) We just had a couple days of 20 degree weather, and I hadn't driven my car for 2 days. Today, I started it up, and noticed that I got no regen when braking. When I pulled out on the main street, I had not assist. I live at the top of a 4 mile 7% grade, and normally, the battery will charge almost the whole way down, but today it didn't charge at all. After 10 miles into the trip, I started to get some assist, and by the time I got to my destination, assist seemed to be working normally again, but still very little regen on braking and very little charge when coasting.

The car was behaving like the battery was full at this point, although it should not have been. When braking, the engine revved up instead of charging the battery.

15 miles into the trip, I pulled off the road and shut the engine off, then restarted to see if a reboot would change things. It did not.

On the return trip, it worked better, but at the end of the 60 mile round trip It still isn't working normally.

Is this a recal, or is it the result of the 20 degree weather? If this is normal behavior in cold weather, I am going to invest in the engine/battery heater.

Any ideas?

You did not have a battery recal-(this would have only lasted a few miles)---Your experience is likely due to a cold hybrid battery pack. It is interesting to learn this vehicle can operate differently at cold temperatures. Been there (below zero upper Mid-West winter experience) and done it. A cold vehicle and hybrid battery pack can function as you describe and as the vehicle and hybrid battery pack's temperature warms, operation normalizes. Why you vehicle never normalized within the distance you claim to have driven is "strange".

Name:  2008FEHhybridconnection.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  54.0 KB

You may or may not have a connection to the hybrid battery heater. At least one photo of a 2008 FEH with a connection to this location exists on this site. It is option 41H for the engine block heater.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

BillyK,

I believe you are correct. It seems that there is a fault in my car. I installed a Scanguage II over the weekend, and all seems right except the temperature readouts.
fWT never gets up to 180 degrees even after driving 40 miles in 45 degree ambient, and the CHT reading is totally wrong, as it shows 11.1 degrees to 17 degrees with a hot engine.

There are two sets of codes for CHT in the Xguage manual, and I tried both of them to make sure that I didn't have the wrong code set.

I guess its a trip to the dealer.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

As luck would have it, my FEH did a HV battery Recal ( recalibration / balance ) today on my commute... and lucky for me, I had a camera in the passenger seat!

What this photo shows is:
Even though my battery was at a very high 89.0% SOC, I was still charging at 11 amps into the battery pack.
The other numbers are generator torque and motor torque ( in Nm I think )

This next image shows my average pack temperature Tav is 84.2 degrees.
It was about 40 degrees outside, and the car had sat all night at 30 degrees.
MDV is module delta voltage, or the difference between sub-packs.
Intake air is 71 degress on a 40 degree day with snow on the ground, partly, because I have a FIA radiator cover on.
SOC is still climbing...

This image shows a battery SOC - State of Charge of 90.1% !!!
The battery pack peaked at 90.3% SOC... but I missed that shot...

After the battery peaked at 90.3% SOC, it started to reduce the charge by adding electric propulsion at highway speed. I wondered, would REGEN brake be disabled at such a high SOC??? NOPE! ( see below )

I had FULL REGEN BRAKE power, even at very, very high SOC.

In fact, Max Charge was set to 50.0 amps when I finally got around to checking.... ( takes a while to search though all my PID's, I have the SG maxed out... )

By the way, REGEN is not cut off in sub-freezing weather.
REGEN is not cut off at any set battery charge level.
I've gotten up to 78% SOC going down a long hill, just by braking, without any special recal process. And I've had 50 amps of regen at 10'F outside.
As long as the battery is warm, not hot, not cold, you get regen brake.
*However, on the long hill decent, regen would pause for a few seconds here and there to allow the battery to cool.

I hope you find this interesting.
It was by luck I was looking, and further luck I had a camera within reach.
The whole charge up and draw down took fewer than 10 minutes.
On the highway, it would be impossible to notice without gauges.
The car felt and drove perfectly normally.
-John

Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
You did not have a battery recal-(this would have only lasted a few miles)---Your experience is likely due to a cold hybrid battery pack. It is interesting to learn this vehicle can operate differently at cold temperatures. Been there (below zero upper Mid-West winter experience) and done it. A cold vehicle and hybrid battery pack can function as you describe and as the vehicle and hybrid battery pack's temperature warms, operation normalizes. Why you vehicle never normalized within the distance you claim to have driven is "strange".

You may or may not have a connection to the hybrid battery heater. At least one photo of a 2008 FEH with a connection to this location exists on this site. It is option 41H for the engine block heater.
Not one picture of all these SoC readings that matched my SoC readings during a recal? Your '05 FEH is not like my FEH during a recal!

GaryG

Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM

I hit 91.2% SOC during my last battery recal. Here is the link I posted in the past:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ery-soc-17672/

Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kephra
BillyK,

I believe you are correct. It seems that there is a fault in my car. I installed a Scanguage II over the weekend, and all seems right except the temperature readouts.
fWT never gets up to 180 degrees even after driving 40 miles in 45 degree ambient, and the CHT reading is totally wrong, as it shows 11.1 degrees to 17 degrees with a hot engine.

There are two sets of codes for CHT in the Xguage manual, and I tried both of them to make sure that I didn't have the wrong code set.

I guess its a trip to the dealer.
The FEH CHT xgauge as posted on the scangauge website has an error. The 5th character of the RXF field should be a "0" and not an "8" such that RXF is 046205160624, not 046285160624. Or, you could change the MTH to 001400010000 if you leave the 8 in the RXF.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

How long does this normally last?

The reason I ask is about 15 minutes into my 30 minutes driver (home - temps 95) yesterday my car wouldn't go into EV. It had been working fine the first half of the drive. Then this morning the whole drive to work was normal (temps 75). Mid morning on an errand (2 miles RT) it was working fine (temps 85) and then on the drive home this afternoon (temps 97) the car would not go into EV again and it was very sluggish the whole 30 minutes. After I got home a trip to the grochery store for about 6 miles RT and it still wasn't working correct.

Am I experiencing this or is something wrong? FWIW, my trip to work is all surface streets for 13 miles.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Do you have a scanguage unit to read the hybrid battery temperature? A too warm hybrid battery temperature will induce issues. I have never had a battery recal last anywhere near the lenght of time you are asking about.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do not have a ScanGauge.

Even last year when it was this "cool" the ICE would run in the afternoon for maybe 6-7 minutes before the car was cool enough to run in EV mode. Even on the hottest days last year (115+) it might have taken 15-18 minutes for the car to cool off enough to run in EV. This worries me.

I'm confused as the morning is normal and in the (cool for Vegas "summer") afternoon I am having issues. I just hope the recent visit to the Ford stealership for a wrench light didn't create more issues...

Quick Reply: Battery Recal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands