Battery "Saver" / auto acc off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Battery "Saver" / auto acc off...

I thought I read somewhere the car will turn off acc after ~20min w/no key in the ignition.
I can't find that now skimming through the owners manual.

The reason I ask is because tonight I went out to my Escape, and left the parking lights on (I normaly have auto lamps on). 2 hrs later they were still on! This, with the low charging voltage I've recorded lately (13.5ish max on the SG) I was scared it wasn't gonna start; but she did.
So shouldn't the battery saver feature killed the lights after 20min?

I know the radio did kill at ~20min, but too hot lately to just sit in a non AC car for 20min!

Bryan

Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Battery "Saver" / auto acc off...

Everything in my 2005 shuts off EXCEPT for the lights.
The external lights stay on, I guess forever, due to safety concerns.

Example: Your vehicle gets a flat on a highway, and you need to walk for help.
Your best bet is to leave your lights on, without the key so no-one messes with or tries to steal your car.

With the key out, only the 12v battery will go dead. The high voltage battery is isolated. (off)

If you leave the key in, in the 2005 the high voltage battery will power things until the battery drains to ~35%, then it cuts off and only 12v battery remains. This keeps enough "reserve" capacity to start the car.

HTH,
-John

Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

The battery saver feature that you refer to applies to the interior lights only from what I read in the manual. Also, there is a feature (the Autolamp Delay, pg 73 of the 2008 FEH owner's manual) that you can use to turn the lights on for a predetermined time after you switch the ignition to off, maybe that is what you were thinking of. The Battery Saver feature is on pg 49

Old 08-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I thought the 20min cutoff applied to everything. I know/use the autolamp feature, and BTW Thanks Ford for including the fog switch now! But I was driving in the parking lot at work, didn't want full headlights, so just turned on the parking lights, got distracted as I got of the car (didn't hear the chime).

So it's nice to know, if left on, lights will go until batt is dead!