Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Best/safest way to block air to radiator

It has been mentioned that by blocking airflow to the radiator in cold weather, FE will increase.
What's the best and safest way to do that?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Best/safest way to block air to radiator

From my earlier post titled Elegant Radiator Block?

"The radiator is roughly 16" high by 25" wide. I cut two pieces of cardboard each 8" by 25". On one piece I attached a foot long length of 1/8" nylon cord to both two corners on one long side. I removed the two top attaching bolts from the grill and loosened the hood release lever enough to rotate the lever out of the way. With the grill loose, one can lower the cardboard pieces to the bottom of the radiator opening. I threaded the two ropes through an existing oval hole on each side at the top of the grille.

So the nominal operating position for cold weather is to have the bottom half covered by both 6" pieces (one behind the other). When it gets colder, I can just pull up the ropes and have the top half covered also. I think I'll get some of the those rope clinchers at REI like are used on ski jackets, etc. In the meantime, I'll just tie the ropes. When it warms up, just lower the ropes to uncover the top half. Next spring, I'll pull out both pieces.

I just used ordinary cardboard, I will have to see if it warps in the weather. If so, I'll go to some kind of plastic sheet."

By the way this has been working extremely well and the cardboard has held up, though as stated, I'll replace it with plastic next year. The beauty of it is that if it warms suddenly, you can uncover half the radiator in seconds.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you're looking for something that looks better than a homemade solution, I purchased a set of grill screens from Cloud Rider and I really like them.

http://www.cloudrider.ca/screens_show.php?vhcl_id=5299

I've got the Winter Shield set which is almost solid, but there are other options that do not block as much air. They're pretty pricey - but look great on the vehicle.

I like these, not only because they look great, but also because they are actually 3 separate pieces - one in each grille opening - so if it starts to slightly warm up in winter for a few days you can take just one of them off to give you a little bit of air if you need to. And each one is held on by 4 screw clamps, so they go on and come off pretty easily with just a screwdriver.

Last edited by chesterakl; 01-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by chesterakl
If you're looking for something that looks better than a homemade solution, I purchased a set of grill screens from Cloud Rider and I really like them.

http://www.cloudrider.ca/screens_show.php?vhcl_id=5299

I've got the Winter Shield set which is almost solid, but there are other options that do not block as much air. They're pretty pricey - but look great on the vehicle.

I like these, not only because they look great, but also because they are actually 3 separate pieces - one in each grille opening - so if it starts to slightly warm up in winter for a few days you can take just one of them off to give you a little bit of air if you need to. And each one is held on by 4 screw clamps, so they go on and come off pretty easily with just a screwdriver.
That looks great! I didn't see any Mercury models availables.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Remember, the "radiator" not only cools the ICE, but is also provides very critical cooling to the electronics. I would be quite worried that blocking off air flow, could easily shorten the life of those electronics.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Remember, the "radiator" not only cools the ICE, but is also provides very critical cooling to the electronics. I would be quite worried that blocking off air flow, could easily shorten the life of those electronics.
Walt, an interesting point. Any idea what electronics are water cooled and where are they located in the vehicle?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM

FIA WINTER COVERS!

These block the upper grille opening in a custom fit. Look at the photo section and you can see GPSman1 photo of this. These also have two flaps (velcro) that can open in seconds when needed or when the temperature rises. I have this and also have most of my lower grille opening is covered with a 15 inch long 1/8 inch thick painted plywood. My concern with cardboard is with it getting wet.

I have had no problems with radiator temperature (scanguage FwT has been holding 177-186 degrees). Took two long ski trips nearly 200 miles each, yesterday in mid 20's and today in low 30 degree temperatures with no issues.

If you look thru the lower grille opening you will see three radiators. One for the ICE. The second for the electronics. The third and smallest is for the hybrid battery.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
If you have a Scanguage you can monitor the temp of that cooling system too. It's MeC = Motor Electronics Coolant Temp. On the coldest days (0's and teens) this would run about mid to high 40's when the car was warmed up. With all my guards on and with temps getting up into the mid 30's, this still only hovered in the low to mid 50's. Now I've only had my Scanguage a couple of weeks, but I'm guessing that in the summer with 90 degree air running through the electronics radiator the MeC temps are going to be considerably higher than that

My personal theory is that in cold weather there's probably already enough cool air around the electronics to start with, so it doesn't really need to get rid of a whole lot of heat through the radiation system.

Last edited by chesterakl; 01-05-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by chesterakl
If you have a Scanguage you can monitor the temp of that cooling system too.
IMHO, that is a very important distinction.

You have a way to monitor temps, and take corrective action (remove the air block) before the worst happens.

However, without something like a Scanguage, the driver is completely "blind" to the current temps of both the ICE and the electronics. That's quite a risk to take.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 AM

So, does anyone have a protective device against wind/cold for a MMH?
So far I have just seen items for a FEH.

If I do get one, I will certainly get a Scangauge also.

Quick Reply: Best/safest way to block air to radiator

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands