Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

What year was the best for the Ford Escape Hybrid and why?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Default Re: Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

In my opinion, the '09 FEH has the best improvements over the older models. The '10 and newer FEH has a electric A/C compressor and no HV battery aux A/C to keep the battery at the most efficient temperature (78F). The '10 HV battery is to small to run the electric A/C compressor and provide effective EV driving to increase MPG.

The engine changed in '09 to the 2.5L from the earlier 2.3L models that could not handle ethanol without a large drop in MPG. The programming changed in '09 to allow a strong 40mph in EV over a weak 35mph in older models. My best tank in my '09 FEH is 65mpg going 884 miles on 13.6 gallons of E10. My best tank in my '05 FEH was ~44mpg using E10 to give you an idea how E10 effects MPG with the 2.3L engine. My '05 FEH gave me a best tank of ~53mpg using straight gas. My '09 FEH has a lifetime MPG at ~30,000 miles of 53.9mpg using nothing but E10 since new.

In '09, the FEH Nav system changed to a much bigger screen and sync. I've had no problems with the '09 Nav system, but my '11 Explorer Nav and MFT has had programming issues since new. The latest programming in my Explorer has improved the system and I now have much fewer problems. Both my '09 FEH and '11 Explorer are Limited models, but the Explorer handles much better than any of my FEH's.

I sold my '05 FEH in May 2011 and bought a '12 Focus for my Son to drive. He now has a lifetime MPG of 35.3mpg with the Focus running E10, which is about 5mpg better than the '05 FEH he was driving at the time.

There was no comparison between the '09 and '05 FEH. After purchasing the '09 FEH, my interest in the '05 FEH was gone. I think Ford should not have gone to an electric compressor and eliminated the aux battery A/C in 2010. The only way Ford should use an electric A/C is with a Lithium plug-in battery with much more capacity.

GaryG

Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have to disagree, Gary. The '10-12 FEH with electric A/C compressor is the only logical choice for anyone living in the south. Running A/C in earlier models=having the gas engine running, which kills much of the advantages of having a hybrid. And, BTW, this electric A/C is the way Toyota has configured the Prius and Camry hybrid (I formerly owned an '09 Camry hybrid.)

I've had my '10 FEH up to 40 MPH on electric-only power, and I often drive up to a mile at up to 30 MPH in electric-only mode. I traded in a '10 Escape with the 2.5 engine and 6-speed automatic for my '10 hybrid. My average MPG over the last two weeks has gone up 7-8 mpg. So, the '10-12 models get my vote.

The down side is, for anyone considering or looking for one, the '10-12 models are VERY HARD to find--which tells me the owners are very happy with them and are holding on to them.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe
I have to disagree, Gary. The '10-12 FEH with electric A/C compressor is the only logical choice for anyone living in the south. Running A/C in earlier models=having the gas engine running, which kills much of the advantages of having a hybrid. And, BTW, this electric A/C is the way Toyota has configured the Prius and Camry hybrid (I formerly owned an '09 Camry hybrid.)

I've had my '10 FEH up to 40 MPH on electric-only power, and I often drive up to a mile at up to 30 MPH in electric-only mode. I traded in a '10 Escape with the 2.5 engine and 6-speed automatic for my '10 hybrid. My average MPG over the last two weeks has gone up 7-8 mpg. So, the '10-12 models get my vote.

The down side is, for anyone considering or looking for one, the '10-12 models are VERY HARD to find--which tells me the owners are very happy with them and are holding on to them.
It's definitely a trade-off....the power to run your AC has to come from somewhere. Since I bypassed the heater core (per Gary's instructions), I've noticed I get cooler air much longer when the ICE is off at traffic lights, etc.

On a side note, had to replace a leaking AC compressor yesterday...world of difference.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
It's definitely a trade-off....the power to run your AC has to come from somewhere. Since I bypassed the heater core (per Gary's instructions), I've noticed I get cooler air much longer when the ICE is off at traffic lights, etc.

On a side note, had to replace a leaking AC compressor yesterday...world of difference.
I maximize my MPG with battery management so during the summer and most of the winter my '09 aux battery A/C runs the compressor any time the engine is running. Charging the battery would be impossible to charge to maintain an electrical compressor and EV in city driving. To add insult to injury, you can't cool down the battery in the '10 and newer FEH. I know all about the effects of a hotter battery and efficiency drops fast driving in EV.

You just replaced your compressor like I had to and you should now know how the battery needs that compressor for the battery to function efficiently. When my compressor developed a leak, I saw first hand how my MPG dropped due to hot weather because of battery heat.

The heater core bypass can only work on the '05, '06 and '07 FEH because they all have a manual A/C system. The '08, '09 and newer FEH uses a automatic A/C, so I don't recommend a core bypass on those models.

GaryG

Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Curmudgeon

I'll add to this discussion a bit, since we all seem to think the year we own is the best
I own a 2011 FEH. I have modified it with a 4kwh Enginer battery kit, so the electric AC is of great use to me. I have made some observations of my vehicle that are not documented anywhere. Note that these observations only apply to my 2011 FEH, and may not apply to any other model year.
1) ICE needs to warm to approximately 136 degrees F (water temp) by my Scangauge II until EV will kick in. However, if I coast for a bit or stop at a stop sign when the water temp is less than that, EV will kick in (ICE turns off) and the ICE will only turn back on if I ask for too much acceleration. So I have driven the 10 miles to work before without the water temp reaching 136 (over 100mpg)! Of course, this requires very gentle acceleration. I wonder if earlier models have this software capability.
2) I can sit at 45mph in EV. I know this is higher than earlier year models and is of great benefit on the 45mph speed limit roads that I mostly drive.
3) I have the Limited Edition. The software has a "bar" on the console screen that allows me to know exactly how much acceleration is allowed in EV before the ICE kicks in. Very useful to know how hard to "push" the accelerator before the ICE turns on. Again, I wonder if earlier models have this software capability.

I don't limit my driving in anyway other than trying to be in EV maximally. I drive into the mountains (in 4 wheel drive) and on the interstate and around town. I use my car normally. Without the add-on battery, I average 32mpg. With the add-on battery I average over 40mpg (total over all conditions). Not bad for an off-road capable SUV with 4WD. I have been extremely disappointed that Ford has dropped the Hybrid from the Escape line and has left us with an Escape that gets 25mpg.
Brian

Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

benichols:

Can you post some additional details about the supplementary battery you added to your FEH? What was the cost and difficulty of installation?

Great discussion! I'm leaning towards the 2010+ myself. But I think the main reasons they are scarce are because Ford made less of them compared to previous years (and Mercury lesser still), and at <3 years out many of them are still under lease.

As far as changes between 2010 and 2011 the only ones I have been able to find any information on are:

1. HD Radio with the Nav/Audiophile option and an updated Sync version--presumably to deal with the new HD Radio voice commands

2. The floor mat retention system on the 2011 has two eyelets instead of just one (read about that one over at escape-city).

Aside from that I've found no other discussion of differences between the two model years--though I'm sure there are some. For one, there are a couple of TSBs that affect the Escapes (including FEH/MMH) up through the 2010 model with no mention of the 2011 so I'm guessing maybe these were corrected for 2011-2012?

2001-2010 E/EH/T/TH/M/MH - TSB: Underbody creak/squeak noise
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9208

2005-2010 E/EH/M/MH - TSB: Front end click/pop on bumps
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9212

Anyone have more info on changes (however small) between 2010, 2011 and 2012?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've found a few 08 models that are the right price for me. Is there a significant difference between the 08 and 09 models?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by smax21
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've found a few 08 models that are the right price for me. Is there a significant difference between the 08 and 09 models?
The bodies are basically identical, but the 2009 begins the 2nd mechanical generation of the FEH, with larger engine and better electric assist. If you can find a 2009 it would probably be a better machine over all.

Having said that, I'm still enjoying my 2008 AWD...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by bookemdano
benichols:

Can you post some additional details about the supplementary battery you added to your FEH? What was the cost and difficulty of installation?

Great discussion! I'm leaning towards the 2010+ myself. But I think the main reasons they are scarce are because Ford made less of them compared to previous years (and Mercury lesser still), and at <3 years out many of them are still under lease.

As far as changes between 2010 and 2011 the only ones I have been able to find any information on are:

1. HD Radio with the Nav/Audiophile option and an updated Sync version--presumably to deal with the new HD Radio voice commands

2. The floor mat retention system on the 2011 has two eyelets instead of just one (read about that one over at escape-city).

Aside from that I've found no other discussion of differences between the two model years--though I'm sure there are some. For one, there are a couple of TSBs that affect the Escapes (including FEH/MMH) up through the 2010 model with no mention of the 2011 so I'm guessing maybe these were corrected for 2011-2012?

2001-2010 E/EH/T/TH/M/MH - TSB: Underbody creak/squeak noise
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9208

2005-2010 E/EH/M/MH - TSB: Front end click/pop on bumps
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9212

Anyone have more info on changes (however small) between 2010, 2011 and 2012?
The Enginer -plug in and add on lithium ion 4K battery-retails under $4000.00 plus installation cost. See their website for further details.

+1 for disappointment with Ford for dropping the hybrid version Escape.

Quick Reply: Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands