Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Year of the Ford Escape Hybrid???

Originally Posted by smax21
What year was the best for the Ford Escape Hybrid and why?
For whatever it's worth:
I had a 2006 FEH and loved it. Since Ford has quit one of the best cars they ever produced I decided it was time upgrade quickly, whilst I could. With the very best of luck I found a 75,000miles 2010 Limited FEH ... locally! And the price was right. WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the '10 vs the '06. I had no idea and now know that I should have done this long ago.

I purposely chose the 2010 because the most recent Consumer Reports Auto Issue (03/2012) showed the 2010 FEH reliability to be every bit as good as the good Toyotas/Hondas/Subarus. That won't necessarily hold up over time, but it's a good starting point.

The differences are many and I'm still discovering them. The best is that the mileage is up from 32mpg to an easy 37mpg. That's amazing to me (I'm not an mpg nut, I just try to do the best I can ... light on the accelerator).
I immediately noticed that the ICE doesn't start when turning the key -- the '06 always started immediately. Next was the fact that the ICE shut down quickly and easily at the slightest provocation - like any time I lifted my foot from the accelerator when below ~44mph. Next was the fact that I'd notice the ICE was off (from time to time) and surprised by it. That never happened in the '06 -- I often helped it get there (touching the brake). I can get to just about 45mph before the ICE kicks in ... it was about 41 in older model. Both have Nav screens. The '10 is bigger and much more informative (and more complex). I'm still discovering things I didn't know it could do. The A/C - Heat is far superior. The cabin is much more quiet (both have Latitude Tour tires) and the general feeling is one of more comfort and a relaxed sense. Backup camera for parking is terrific, just terrific -- I can backup to a yellow/white parking line perfectly every time. The automatic parallel park feature is a hoot. I tried it once with friends in a big empty parking lot (with 2 other cars strategically placed) and we all had a good long laugh ... quite amazing. Haven't used it since and don't intend to except to show off. Rear glass opens itself with the key fob, a nice touch. Brakes seem more responsive and with a better feel.
Having A/C whilst the ICE is off is terrific. Very terrific. I watch the battery condition with long waits (no ICE and A/C running) and it appears to be fine. Of course, at some point the ICE kicks in. I have heard of no problems with this arrangement.
On the downside .... the rear headrests still have no place to go (except the garage) when the seats are folded down. They needed to work on that one.
Oh yeah, no more super expensive and harder-to-find oil filter element! Now it's the usual, cheaper spin-on type. Good move Ford. And no more rear battery filter .... those things were stupidly expensive for something that cost about 3cents to make. I'll not miss it (I hope).
Hope this provided something of use to you... Best of luck. And onions to Ford for quitting the FEH. Boooooo! Hisssssss!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Is green green enough?

Originally Posted by benichols
I'll add to this discussion a bit, since we all seem to think the year we own is the best
I own a 2011 FEH. I have modified it with a 4kwh Enginer battery kit, so the electric AC is of great use to me. I have made some observations of my vehicle that are not documented anywhere. Note that these observations only apply to my 2011 FEH, and may not apply to any other model year.
1) ICE needs to warm to approximately 136 degrees F (water temp) by my Scangauge II until EV will kick in. However, if I coast for a bit or stop at a stop sign when the water temp is less than that, EV will kick in (ICE turns off) and the ICE will only turn back on if I ask for too much acceleration. So I have driven the 10 miles to work before without the water temp reaching 136 (over 100mpg)! Of course, this requires very gentle acceleration. I wonder if earlier models have this software capability.
2) I can sit at 45mph in EV. I know this is higher than earlier year models and is of great benefit on the 45mph speed limit roads that I mostly drive.
3) I have the Limited Edition. The software has a "bar" on the console screen that allows me to know exactly how much acceleration is allowed in EV before the ICE kicks in. Very useful to know how hard to "push" the accelerator before the ICE turns on. Again, I wonder if earlier models have this software capability.

I don't limit my driving in anyway other than trying to be in EV maximally. I drive into the mountains (in 4 wheel drive) and on the interstate and around town. I use my car normally. Without the add-on battery, I average 32mpg. With the add-on battery I average over 40mpg (total over all conditions). Not bad for an off-road capable SUV with 4WD. I have been extremely disappointed that Ford has dropped the Hybrid from the Escape line and has left us with an Escape that gets 25mpg.
Brian
Where can I find more information on the battery kit? looks interesting enough to investigate. I own a 2010 FEH LE as well.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frenzerelly
Where can I find more information on the battery kit? looks interesting enough to investigate. I own a 2010 FEH LE as well.
Enginer.com or this: http://www.enginer.us/products/

Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast

After 2007 the Escapes got kind of ugly, and in 2013 really ugly (flying wedge look).

However, my 2007 FEH has an auxiliary cooling system in the rear for the HV battery with a mini-evaporator, its own expansion valve, and dedicated lines to and from the dryer. But there is only one compressor for the entire system, and it is the same compressor used in the 2007 non-hybrid Escapes, although the load on it is clearly higher with the hybrid. In my opinion, a dumb idea to not put in a beefed-up compressor for the higher load. My warranty for the HV battery runs out after another 2000 miles. I will therefore soon be having an anti-UV film put in for $170 (promised 60% less heat entering passenger compartment from sun), and it will still be in compliance with Florida privacy tinting standards.

How I got to this point: When I bought the car used, the dealership did not inform me about any problem with the A/C. When I insisted that I be given the service order for the pre-sale "50-point inspection", it was grudgingly sent to me, and then I discovered that the A/C system had been evacuated and recharged. So, I immediately bumped up my extended service plan to include the A/C (another $250), and, sure enough, the A/C stopped working after a few weeks. Then my phone calls to the dealership started in earnest (I didn't raise my voice) to find out why the recharge, but got no clear answer, finally reached the owner. Then the service mgr. called me and told me to bring the car back and they would take care of me. I did so, and waited around for hours while the comedy continued. Sure enough, it turned out that the compressor was failing. Big surprise.

By the time I returned to the dealership, the HV battery was running very hot to the touch, and the service manager had the gall to tell me that the HV battery is really tough and can stand the heat. He promised to fix the A/C in a few weeks (because of the date of the bumped up service plan), and provide me with a car, and swallow the $100 deductible. He will, because he now knows that I am informed and not some gullible old fool. I am retired, have lots of time, and know how to write short sweet letters to management, having been a salesman once myself.