Better FE on Highway than City

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Better FE on Highway than City

My 2005 FEH 4WD is getting better FE on the highway than around town. I estimate that it is getting at least 31-MPG on the highway and 28-MPG around town. I think, even though it goes into EV mode driving around town, much of the fuel savings is lost getting up to the speed limit after the ICE turns on. Anybody else experiencing the same thing? My FEH is at the dealer right now for them to find out why the wrench icon illuminates and "Service Soon" message appears.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Better FE on Highway than City

How fast are you acclerating? At what speed does the ICE kick in? If you can try to acclerate slowly and kick in the ICE at about 25+ mph I can't see how you'd have a problem.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
How fast are you acclerating? At what speed does the ICE kick in?
I accelerate very slowly -- so much so that I know it pisses many people off, but I'm buying my gas, not them. It varies when the ICE kicks in...I can get up to 42-MPH on flat or decending roads, or it can kick in almost immediately when on an ascending road. On average, I would say the ICE kicks in about about 25-MPH. My family has been "windows down people" ever since buying the FEH...When at a stop or at slow speeds when in EV mode, the windows are down to get air circulating to stay as cool as possible. I employ techniques that I have learned here (i.e., L gear advantage, pulse-and-glide, etc.).

If you can try to acclerate slowly and kick in the ICE at about 25+ miles per hour I can't see how you'd have a problem.
Exactly my thought, but it's a fact that I'm getting better FE during highway driving than in-town driving. My only thought is the "Service Soon" message and wrench icon that illuminates has something to do with it.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You haven't mentioned the mileage on your '05 but is it near the 100K tune up time? I would at least check/change the air filter and battery air filter if they haven't been changed recently (I like K&N for air filters but others disagree).

I'd also check the air pressure. Do you still have the stock Conti Low Rolling Resistance tires?

I'm not saying this will be the magic pill to increased city-FE but it can't help.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
I accelerate very slowly -- so much so that I know it pisses many people off, but I'm buying my gas, not them. It varies when the ICE kicks in...I can get up to 42-miles per hour on flat or decending roads, or it can kick in almost immediately when on an ascending road. On average, I would say the ICE kicks in about about 25-miles per hour. My family has been "windows down people" ever since buying the FEH...When at a stop or at slow speeds when in EV mode, the windows are down to get air circulating to stay as cool as possible. I employ techniques that I have learned here (i.e., L gear advantage, pulse-and-glide, etc.).

Exactly my thought, but it's a fact that I'm getting better FE during highway driving than in-town driving. My only thought is the "Service Soon" message and wrench icon that illuminates has something to do with it.
I think the two could be related. Your wrench light is probably a result of the HV battery overheating due to either bad fans or mode door being stuck or inoperable. If the HV battery temp is 85F or greater, the A/C compressor will always run when the ICE is running, whether or not you have the cabin A/C on. If you don't have a scangauge to check the HV battery temp or to retrieve the HV DTCs, try putting your instrument cluster in diagnostic mode and monitor the HV battery temp.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a 2005 AWD Escape and I "normally" get better mileage on the highway than in the city because of the short distance to work and "in-town" needs. How long of a "in-town" drive do you have?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was having a similar problem on my '05.

On these very warm days my wife was complaining the A/C didn't feel as cold as it should be.

I took it to work and serviced the A/C... ended up being a pound low on refrigerant!

I think the battery was not cooling off as it should (due to the low refrigerant charge) and it's usage was being limited, hence poorer FE in city driving.

My FE has gone up at least 3MPG city since charging it up! And that was just a few days ago...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
You haven't mentioned the mileage on your '05 but is it near the 100K tune up time? I would at least check/change the air filter and battery air filter if they haven't been changed recently (I like K&N for air filters but others disagree).

I'd also check the air pressure. Do you still have the stock Conti Low Rolling Resistance tires?

I'm not saying this will be the magic pill to increased city-FE but it can't help.
My 2006 FEH 4WD has 61,000-miles. I purchased it used from a Ford dealership that did all of the service on it since the day the original owner purchased it. It was serviced prior to me purchasing it. I have not had time to check the filters, but I'm going to try this weekend. The tires are brand new Continental ContiTrac, but they are not the OEM EcoPlus version. I have the tire pressure set at 36-PSI, which is yielding an average of 28.7-MPG. I purchased it in MD, and, when I took it for PA inspection, I was told it needed an alignment, which I had done on Monday.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
I think the two could be related. Your wrench light is probably a result of the HV battery overheating due to either bad fans or mode door being stuck or inoperable. If the HV battery temp is 85F or greater, the A/C compressor will always run when the ICE is running, whether or not you have the cabin A/C on. If you don't have a scangauge to check the HV battery temp or to retrieve the HV DTCs, try putting your instrument cluster in diagnostic mode and monitor the HV battery temp.
That is my thought. Unfortunately, I do not have a ScanGauge. How do you put the instrument cluster in diagnostic mode and monitor the HV batter temperature?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
I have a 2005 AWD Escape and I "normally" get better mileage on the highway than in the city because of the short distance to work and "in-town" needs. How long of a "in-town" drive do you have?
My wife drives it during the weekdays, which comes to about half the miles driven each tank. Her typical drive is about a 12-mile and 20-minute trip through town with many stop lights on roads with speed limits primarily 35-miles per hour and a few places 25- and 40-miles per hour, but she rarely gets above 35-MPH. The other half of the miles each tank are driven by me on the weekends hauling the family around on longer trips (i.e., 30-minutes to 1-hour primarily at "highway" speeds of 45- to 60-MPH).