Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

I received a reply from carcoversdirect.com with a photo from Covercraft, the first company I have found that is shipping a Bra/Mask for the 2008 Escape. Here is what it looks like:

Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

I would suggest you reconsider. I've had 3M installs on many of my past rides and it's a great investment. Likely about $500 for a full install and of course you can negotiate for custom cuts to cover other areas.

Some pics of my installs....I have plenty more if you need them.
http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/3m_clear_bra

I also have a nose cover for just the hood on my current GXP. Just bes ure to go with a good brand.

If you go the normal route, call Ken. I can't say enough about the quality.

http://www.carbras.com
mailto:info@carbras.com
phone 425.486.8410
toll free 866.598.2712
fax 425.749.7007

Originally Posted by leoashton
Yea, as I said in my initial post I was trying to stay away from the 3M film and would like to find a "temporary" mask that would only be used when necessary (like long freeway trips across state.)

However- IceBlueMariner please tell us what the install experience was like with your clearmask though. How long did it take, how difficult, and how noticeable is the film on the car?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the link to carbras.com but they do not have a "traditional" bra for the Escape (any year.) I contacted them through the website, as I am an owner of a perfect fit bra for another vehicle, but they have not responded, so I assume they will not be making one for the Escape. That is a shame, as the perfect fit bra has been very good on our other vehicle.

Last edited by leoashton; 09-05-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

That must be great for the aerodynamics???

Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidH
That must be great for the aerodynamics???
I have the Mercury one on my MMH, and I didn't notice any change in mpg at all.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I have the Mercury one on my MMH, and I didn't notice any change in mpg at all.
Some posters on here are even worried about the stick antenna!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

My guess would be that it has about the same detrimental effect as the bug shield, less than 1 mpg, and since the car's aerodynamics already affect mpg on the freeway anyway...

My only concern about this particular model is that it appears looser installed than I'd like, and how the wind might grab at it going 65 miles per hour. It is possible the installer didn't get it on as well as could be... may not be a whole lot they can do with the design of the Escape.

Mercury has one for the 2007, so maybe we can expect a Ford one at a later date?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
08 MMH 4WD

http://www.magnetbra.com/index.html

Here is a link I saw over in the for sale forum. A Magenetic hood bra.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, I saw those magnet bras, should be more aerodynamic than the bug shield, but alas don't protect the even more susceptible to rock damage, plastic bumper cover/front of the car. I didn't know they had them available for the 2008s though. Tempted to order the covercraft bra at this point, $81 isn't too bad to drive on the freeways

On another subject- I just received a car cover for the Escape today, and it doesn't look too bad on the vehicle. I'll post a photo later when I get the chance.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My guess would be that it has about the same detrimental effect as the bug shield, less than 1 mpg, and since the car's aerodynamics already affect mpg on the freeway anyway...
I don't think that it would even be close to a bug shield. Mine doesn't have the "dog ears" like the pic posted up above. So, it follows (hugs) the natural curves of the vehicle and that's it. Even with the "dog ears", they don't stick up anywhere as much a full bug shield.

Mercury has one for the 2007, so maybe we can expect a Ford one at a later date?
Well, actually, Mercury has one for the 2005, which just happens to fit a 2007. The difference, I believe, is that Mercury discontinued them before 2007. Well, at least they aren't in the accessories catalog for 2007. I had to find a dealer that happen to still have one in their stock (and was happy to finally get rid of it).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands