Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:48 AM
08 MMH 4WD
Default Re: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Mercury does make the bug shield for the 08:

Low Profile Bug Shield
Part Number: 8E6Z-16C900-A
MSRP: $65.00

As copied off the http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/mariner/# - Accesories page.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

don't use a Bra, I had one on my '71 911 and only used it for track days. It damaged the paint. My boss uses the 3M dealer installed film on his RX400H and it is amazing. I will be installing it on ours before winter.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here are a couple photos I promised of the custom cover I got for my 2008 Escape Hybrid:

This one is made by CoverKing, comes in different fabrics (this one is the "stormproof".)

Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

For those interested in mask/bras for the 2008+ Escapes LeBra has come out with a new one in addition to the Covercraft one I own.

Here is the Covercraft one again:

Here is the new LeBra:

While I have not seen the LeBra one in person, I'd recommend it over the Covercraft because it seems to be cut following the contours of the vehicle more, and covers the entire underside of the front bumper. It also does not require the use of velcro tape, and odd clips to install it on the vehicle, in addition to hard to install clips on the underside of the engine compartment. My only concerns would be that the hood piece does not flap at freeway speed (the Covercraft has larger air foils on top, albeit across the seams on the hood, so they look odd) and that the edges are covered in felt so it does not scratch the paint.

I am considering moving to the "invisible" mask at this point however (just so darn expensive) as I spend way too much time getting the vehicle ready for long trips

Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One of our frequent posters, John Morton, works in the auto business and claims paint damage occurs from use of bra/mask devices. He personally uses a bug shield which I believe is cheaper than the bra/mask unit. I have no experience with either unit.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
One of our frequent posters, John Morton, works in the auto business and claims paint damage occurs from use of bra/mask devices. He personally uses a bug shield which I believe is cheaper than the bra/mask unit. I have no experience with either unit.
Paint damage will occur if you don't keep the mask clean and make sure that the car is clean before installing the mask/bra. You also cannot leave them on all the time, as I have always used them only when traveling on long trips. The Mask must also fit properly, and must not "flap" in the wind at high speeds. Some masks even require the use of some light-tack painters tape on the hood when installed to keep the mask edge from slowly scratching a line across it (only visible under indirect light!)

The problem with the bug shields is that they only protect the leading edge of the hood and not the front and lower areas of the vehicle where more rock damage occurs.

Last edited by leoashton; 02-19-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=leoashton;162228]Paint damage will occur if you don't keep the mask clean and make sure that the car is clean before installing the mask/bra. You also cannot leave them on all the time, as I have always used them only when traveling on long trips...quote]
I always use a Bra when I tow my 'baby' car, the 72' VW super beetle. And you are exactly correct, in that it can scratch the paint if left on for long periods of time. I ALWAYS remove the Bra after arriving at destination, and gently clean the surface where the Bra contacted the paint.

Removing and re-installing the protective Bra is a lot of work, but don't we love all are vehicles, both Hybrid and non-hybrid? If not, why are we posting here. It's a hobby, a labor of love.