Brake Disc Two sides Wearing

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Brake Disc Two sides Wearing

I recenlty signed up for UBER driver with my 2008 FEH of about 80,000KM. There is a requirement for vehicle inspection by technician.

The garage owner after inspection said I need to replace my front discs. He showed me one the left disc with both sides. He said, look the outer surface of the disc, the wearing belt is wider than inner surface wearing belt ring, which indicates that the discs are in need of replacement because of uneven clamping force.

I also noticed the shinning ring is wider on outer side than inner side, and both front discs are same condition. But I also touched the inner surface of the disc, although the wearing ring are shining and narrower, no steps lower, that means the discs are perfect and does not require replacing. For one of the advantage of hybrid is long lasting brakes.

My question is, why the inner wearing surface ring is narrower than the outer ring?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Disc Two sides Wearing

This should only be true if the inner pads are smaller diameter than the outer ones, or the inner pads are somehow damaged. You could check with a parts list or supplier to see if the inner and outer pads are different.