Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Brake Failure

I was driving on the FWY this past Sunday (4/20/08) when I got a "Navigation System Failure" warning on the Nav display. At the same time my "Check Brakes" and "ABS" lights went on. I pushed on the brakes and my power brakes were gone. I was able to make it to a dealer and they are checking the are car now. They say that it might be an "ABS Module" but they have to contact Ford first. I have a 2008 FEH with only 2057 miles which I purchased in November, 2007. has anyone else had this problem?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Failure

Since you had multiple electronics devices fail at the same time this sounds to me like an issue with a ground that isn't making good connection.

On the other hand, the two issues may not be related at all.

Please let us know what the dealer finds.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Just went through the same brake issue a couple of weeks ago. Get in my car and both the ABS and Brake light came on. I assumed it was time for new brake pads (I'm at 80K miles and still haven't changed pads) and took it to my mechanic, who diagnosed the problem but referred it to the dealer. Turns out it was a corroded connector in the ABS system for the accumulator and/or the actuator. I think they charged me $200 to fix it and it's a fairly common issue on Escapes, hybrid or not.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Dittos. Likely bad ground cable(s) or bad ABS module or a combination.
I have heard of this often, and heard of the bad ground often.
Well... often is strong word.
I've heard of it a few times.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer called me yesterday and told me that Ford won't replace the ABS module because there wasn't enough evidence that there was a problem. Now the dealer is going to "test drive" the car to see if they can figure out what went wrong with it. Wouldn't that make you feel confident?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: Brake Failure

Barry-

If it makes you feel any better....

I always take my car to the dealer and TELL THEM what's wrong with it.
They never trust me, they never believe me, and while I can see their side of the coin, they must follow protocol and trouble-shoot my symptoms from scratch. This is especially true for warranty issues as they must document everything.

But when I'm in a hurry to get my car back ( which is of course, always ) I will actually call the parts desk and order the part(s) under my name a few days in advance. Since it is a Hybrid, most things are not "in stock" at your local dealer.

Example. I knew I needed a new electric water pump. So I ordered one a week in advance. When I took it in I told them I need a new water pump.

"Oh, that's up for our tech's to determine, but we'll be happy to check it out."
Me: "OK."

4 hours later I get a phone call:
"Yup. You were right, you need a water pump. We're going to have to order one. It usually only takes 3 days to get a part like that. We'll call you when your car is ready."
Me: "Check the parts dept. I'm pretty sure you have one in stock."
"Ummm.... okay... but I doubt we have something like that."

I picked up my car 2 hours later. 1 day service.
-John

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

I was infomed by the dealer last Friday that I needed a new ABS module (cost to Ford: $1000, the dealer said). The funny thing is the dealer says there are none in stock and Ford will have to have one built and then shipped out form Memphis, TN. This makes me wonder why they wouldn't have an ABS module in stock. Is they a problem with this module and because so many have failed, they are on back-order?????

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Brake Failure

I bet they were using all the modules they could get to finish and ship vehicles off of the assembly line. But I have heard of ABS module failure - "more than once" on several forums. Short-sighted not to increase module production to account for needed spares.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

OK, dumb question.... is the ABS electronics really a separate "module" in our hybrids? I would think it would be too closely tied into the regenerative braking system.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Brake Failure

Walt - I know the early documentation shows a "BSCM - Brake System Control Module" that is said to control the regenerative braking functions. I've heard of an "SJB" or "Smart Junction Box" which had to be replaced in several FEH brake systems to alleviate system failures. [Sorry - don't have the entire manual in front of me to provide a more complete answer]

Quick Reply: Brake Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands