Brake Repairs / Costs

Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Brake Repairs / Costs

Originally Posted by econoline
From my '07 manual that symbol is

"ABS active/Traction control active (if equipped): Flashes when the ABS system is active. If the light remains on, have the system serviced immediately..."

So it's being on more likely indicates an ABS fault, not a traction control fault.
Is that one light or two seperate lights? EagleFan89 states that the ABS light isn't ON but the TC light is. The real question is why nobody thought that a FEH had TC till '09.

On my '09 FE when the TC is active the ABS light doesn't come ON only the TC light comes ON.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Is that one light or two seperate lights? EagleFan89 states that the ABS light isn't ON but the TC light is. The real question is why nobody thought that a FEH had TC till '09.

On my '09 FE when the TC is active the ABS light doesn't come ON only the TC light comes ON.
There are two separate lights/indicators:
  1. Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
  2. ABS active/Traction control active (if equipped)

I assume that my FEH does not have TC as there is no other reference to it in the owner's manual and no fuses seem to be associated with it. There is another reference that could be confused with Traction Control and that is "Traction Battery Control Module". What do you think?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Imported from Detroit

There are two separate lights/indicators:
  1. Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
  2. ABS active/Traction control active (if equipped)
I assume that my FEH does not have TC as there is no other reference to it in the owner's manual and no fuses seem to be associated with it. There is another reference that could be confused with Traction Control and that is "Traction Battery Control Module". What do you think?
I have TC with a switch on my '09 FE and there's no fuse listed for a TC module as maybe there isn't a module but a program within the PCM.

EagleFan89 said a car icon with squiggly lines below it, so that is the TC dash icon for sure. That's also a '05 but a 4WD. Would you think that a '05 would have TC but not a '07??

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM

I have TC with a switch on my '09 FE and there's no fuse listed for a TC module as maybe there isn't a module but a program within the PCM.

EagleFan89 said a car icon with squiggly lines below it, so that is the TC dash icon for sure. That's also a '05 but a 4WD. Would you think that a '05 would have TC but not a '07??
The "car icon with squiggly lines below it" is in my owner's manual as "ABS active/Traction control active". But it apparently indicates a fault if it stays on continuously. Given that the 2005-2007 don't have TC, then it's indication some sort of ABS fault.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Imported from Detroit

The "car icon with squiggly lines below it" is in my owner's manual as "ABS active/Traction control active". But it apparently indicates a fault if it stays on continuously. Given that the 2005-2007 don't have TC, then it's indication some sort of ABS fault.
Hmmm, that's a bit confusing! I understand what your saying now though.

So if that icon lights up and you don't feel the ABS pulsating, it's a fault.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

Here is what it says in the online version of the owner's manual for my "08 FEH.

From the instrument cluster section

"ABS active/Traction control™
active (if equipped): Flashes
when the ABS system is active. If
the light remains on, have the
system serviced immediately, refer
to the Driving chapter for more
information

From the "Driving section"

"The sliding car symbol in the
instrument cluster will be
illuminated during ABS braking.
The hydraulic brake system used for regenerative braking will charge its
hydraulic system at the beginning of a trip and discharge the system at
the end of each trip. You may notice a pumping sound when you enter
the vehicle or a venting sound a few minutes after parking the vehicle.
Using ABS
When hard braking is required, apply continuous force on the brake
pedal; do not pump the brake pedal since this will reduce the
effectiveness of the ABS and will increase your vehicle’s stopping
distance. The ABS will be activated immediately, allowing you to retain
steering control during hard braking and on slippery surfaces. However,
the ABS does not decrease stopping distance.
ABS warning lamp
The ABS lamp in the instrument
cluster momentarily illuminates
when the ignition is turned on. If
the light does not illuminate during
start up, remains on or flashes, the
ABS may be disabled and may need to be serviced.
Even when the ABS is disabled,
normal braking is still effective. If
your BRAKE warning lamp
illuminates with the parking brake
released, have your brake system
serviced immediately by an authorized dealer."

I have never seen this light up in mine. However, I just went over 900 miles on the odometer this evening.

Last edited by Slampro; 07-21-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: to add info
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Un-Enthusiast

Interesting, thanks for the help. The exciter ring has been replaced and the car stops properly now.

Just to clarify, my "traction" light was not staying on, just flashing on a couple quick times as I was braking. That was a result of the broken exciter ring giving way (?) or something and the car was apparently tricked into thinking it was slipping? (Hence my slight loss in braking pressure and the car lurching forward a bit (coupled with the clunking sound which was apparently the exciter ring), just for a second.) This all happenend regularly, but less than 50% of the time I was stopping and only once as I braked, usually around 10-15 MPH

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
Interesting, thanks for the help. The exciter ring has been replaced and the car stops properly now.

Just to clarify, my "traction" light was not staying on, just flashing on a couple quick times as I was braking. That was a result of the broken exciter ring giving way (?) or something and the car was apparently tricked into thinking it was slipping? (Hence my slight loss in braking pressure and the car lurching forward a bit (coupled with the clunking sound which was apparently the exciter ring), just for a second.) This all happenend regularly, but less than 50% of the time I was stopping and only once as I braked, usually around 10-15 MPH
Having a '09 FE, I didn't know that a <'09 FEH still has the TC dash icon although it doesn't have TC but is used to indicate ABS activity. Have to look at my own manual as to what indicates ABS activity!

The TC icon is only used for that, no mention of a ABS activity indicator.

Last edited by wptski; 07-22-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Having a '09 FE, I didn't know that a <'09 FEH still has the TC dash icon although it doesn't have TC but is used to indicate ABS activity. Have to look at my own manual as to what indicates ABS activity!

The TC icon is only used for that, no mention of a ABS activity indicator.
You keep saying 2009 FE, do you have the Hybrid model? The Hybrids have different issues with braking & etc, due to the regenerative braking - not found on the conventional escapes.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
You keep saying 2009 FE, do you have the Hybrid model? The Hybrids have different issues with braking & etc, due to the regenerative braking - not found on the conventional escapes.
Nope, just a FE. A post started to refer to TC on a '05 FEH which it really doesn't have. The TC icon is used in the FEH to show ABS activity but on a '09 FE, it's just used to show TC activity and nothing to show ABS activity. I assume the '09 FEH is the same since it has TC too.

We're just talking plain brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Repairs / Costs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands