Brake Repairs / Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Un-Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Repairs / Costs

No Scangauge, do you think I'm some kind of geek?

Driving home tonight it appeared to be acting normal and going into electric mode for a few miles, but after 20-25 minutes in the car, it never went back to electric and the gauge once again did not appear to be moving as dramatically as it usually does with slowing/braking or accelerating. I'm pissed because this was not a problem prior to taking it to the dealer service Tuesday.

What could they have disconnected and not reconnected?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
So what's different about the TC and ABS? The TC uses the ABS system and in a 4WD, the TC/ABS can take over control of the 4WD system in certain situations. This is all in the '09 WorkShop Manual which I have. The FEH didn't have TC till '09!

Again, yes the FEH has different programming and I agree with that. The actual ABS in both FE/FEH is when the HCU is activated which both vehicles have. Regenerative feedback doesn't pulsate the brakes that's what the HCU does commanded by the ABS module.
I think we are in agreement, but the problem arises in that the software cannot pulse the brakes and perform regenerative braking at the same time, so different software algorithms are required for the hybrid.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I think we are in agreement, but the problem arises in that the software cannot pulse the brakes and perform regenerative braking at the same time, so different software algorithms are required for the hybrid.
The shop has a seperate section for barkes on a FE and FEH. The Anti-Lock theory of operation is identical for both or pulsating the standard brakes. It doesn't mention anything about regenerative braking during a anti-lock event. The ABS controls ESC, RSC, anti-lock and/or stability/traction plus it can take over the 4WD module control too. It states during regenerative braking(RB), if it can't achieve enough braking using RB alone, the ABS will comand the standard brakes ON also. It does say that if the engine is running, engine vacuum is used on the booster, if not there is a vacuum pump which is used, so that does sound like you can have RB and the standard brakes ON together.

The amount of RB or the added standard braking depends on how hard and fast you hit the brake pedal.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
The shop has a seperate section for barkes on a FE and FEH. The Anti-Lock theory of operation is identical for both or pulsating the standard brakes. It doesn't mention anything about regenerative braking during a anti-lock event. The ABS controls ESC, RSC, anti-lock and/or stability/traction plus it can take over the 4WD module control too. It states during regenerative braking(RB), if it can't achieve enough braking using RB alone, the ABS will comand the standard brakes ON also. It does say that if the engine is running, engine vacuum is used on the booster, if not there is a vacuum pump which is used, so that does sound like you can have RB and the standard brakes ON together.

The amount of RB or the added standard braking depends on how hard and fast you hit the brake pedal.
Well. This is different from what I have read. My understanding is that once the ABS kicks in, it is all conventional brakes. I don't see how it could work any other way, because one cannot pulse RB, and it is always a drag on the vehicle when in force. It seems to me that ABS would require complete control, with no RB.

Thanks for the info...

Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Well. This is different from what I have read. My understanding is that once the ABS kicks in, it is all conventional brakes. I don't see how it could work any other way, because one cannot pulse RB, and it is always a drag on the vehicle when in force. It seems to me that ABS would require complete control, with no RB.

Thanks for the info...
Well that's what the shop manual states.